The Resource WIP Thread 3

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Drew this in about 2 hours.
    Do you know how long it took me to draw my first wolf? 2 days, and it was jaggy like a zigzag puzzle.
    I must be improving.

Marquise* and starlight dream like this.
  2. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Isn't it fun to hone a technique? You're very fast overall though. I particularly like the antlers. ^^

What I recommend for you to change is the line of the back.
    The deer tends to have a rounder hind area, that is taller than the back of the neck. So the back should have a slight downward curve near the middle.
    A deer pic for reference

Hopefully that is helpful. :LZSsmile:

Marquise* and FleshToDust like this.
  3. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    starlight dream likes this.
  4. Rukiri

Rukiri I'm the epitome of EVIL!!!

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    More Kuririn :)
    upload_2017-12-2_19-0-39.png

5. Xenphir

Xenphir Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am not sure if this goes here. I wandered the forums for a long time trying to find anything specific for this topic and this seems to be the closest. I want an opinion if this style that I made is good or not. I want to try and make as many custom assests for my game as possible by going with a more old fashioned cute pixel instead of realistic. So I would just like an opinion on this grass texture for starters. I am new to art entirely so I don't even know what is good vs bad even though it is subjective I feel I could use more tips from players who create assests for these games a lot, or even just the people who play a lot of 2D rpg's that know better ways to style things. ^.^

Does this look okay? It'd be used in parallax mostly, not really for a tile set though I might try and make one eventually when I get better. xD
    [​IMG]

6. Solwern

Solwern Dead person.

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks ok, could do with some diversity amongst the shrubs but good nontheless.

7. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    they definitely are not bad! keep pushing.

8. HannahSmith

HannahSmith Happy Little Fairy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They look pretty nice.

9. Wavelength

Wavelength Basically a Vision Ward

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Looks pretty nice to me. The edges of the plants are a bit sharp compared to the very faded ground they sit on, though.

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For feedback on how a resource looks, we have a WIP thread, which I think would be more appropriate.

I am, therefore, merging this with the Resource WIP Thread 3.

11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Xenphir Okay, I'm going to be blunt, sorry. Can't think of a more diplomatic way even though I don't mean it the way I know it's going to come across.

You're obviously very new at this. Your art isn't bad, in fact it's quite good but it is obvious that this is your first time making a tile. Making a full tileset is going to be different than you might think, there's a lot to be learned and not all of it artistic. You have to be able to plan out how all the tiles work together, for instance, so they don't compete with each other for attention or upstage the sprites. This tile works well enough on it's own, but try filling a canvas with it and pasting in a character and you should see the problem.

Working with one tile at a time is going to cause lots of problems that you'll only see after you've finished a bunch of tiles. You've got to start with a mock-up so you can see the problems as they arise instead of it blindsided by them when you're done with many of them and will need to redo them. Start with broad things like color and all the contrasts, dark/light, detailed/empty, warm/cool, ect. This is trickier without the right tools, but doable. I like Pyxel Edit.

In your case, however, I recommend starting with an existing set of tiles you can work on expanding. Completely replacing the art is way more work than even experienced artists expect, especially if you're wanting to switch out more than tiles. Better to start off with an existing style and have something useable when you run out of energy (and you will, long before the tileset is complete) than to have something completely yours that no one can use because it's not enough. There are a lot of really nice pixel tiles out there, some of them free to use.

If you want I can give you a better critique on this single existing tile, help you resolve some issues and make it better, but I would rather not. You will lean good things but you'll also very likely end up putting a lot of effort into something that's unusable. Either that or break the art style that you come up with because you're trying to accommodate it's inclusion instead of making the best option. I'll leave the decision to you though. There's still a lot of good things that can be learned by going at it this way.

12. Xenphir

Xenphir Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm Thank you so much. I hold honest opinions far more valuable than sugar coats haha. It would be awful if everyone was like "Yeah its great" *Makes a game with those graphics and its crap* x.x

So my main question is, would I be better off parallaxing entire maps instead of making them into resources/tilesets then? I don't know which would be easier. I didn't want to use the existing set of tiles because it seems to be a sign of laziness in the community that I would not like to reflect in my game. I am willing to take years on a single game as its a hobby not a job but I don't want to waste all that time parallaxing tilesets everyone will dislike. (Also I can't seem to find anyone that has done the style I am looking for.)

13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It depends. Parallaxed maps take more time to create, and they take up loads of space. A really good tileset map takes more time in the initial set up, but once you've got that setup you're good to go for as many maps as you please. So if you're only going to have a handful of maps, Parallaxed might be worth it. Either one can look just as good as the other when done well, or just as boring. There's no right answer, it all depends on which set of equally good things are more important to you. It is easier to get an organic feel from a parallaxed map, but most of the time you don't need parallaxed to get there.

Using RTP doesn't instantly mean laziness to the community, especially if it's not a commercial game. If you use it completely vanilla with no alignment edits, no use of the freely available art people have created her to expand it, and/or default characters, then probably lazy. A little tiny bit of custom, a little found art and a some good mapping go a really long way.

Maybe we can help you find the right style. You can post screenshots of other games that have the styles you like. The more examples from completely different artists, the better. Then we can more easily pick out what it is about the different styles that's attractive to you and point you in that direction.

14. Xenphir

Xenphir Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm Well I really loved the style of Aveyond 2 out of all the rpg-maker games I've found. I believe these were made in XP? Not sure though. What I love most about this particular one is if you look at the grass and trees it has that still-pixel look. I don't want my graphics to look "real" or "natural" I guess? I want that cute pixel world with vibrant colors ^.^

I tried replicating the way that some RPG's do their grass in that there are actual little blades of it poking out in places, not just a smooth texture. I'm not trying to do everything custom but there are some things I want that I cannot seem to find such as different land textures. Grass, cliffs, cave walls, etc that are of this cuter, brighter style. There are plenty of resources on this forum alone for objects, houses, monsters, and such but most of the landscape textures seem to be hard to come by. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places but I tried looking through that huge list of resources in the threads.

Aveyond 2 vvvv
    [​IMG]

15. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, I love Aveyond's art style too. Hmm. Are you using Ace or MV? That makes a huge difference. I know of some good pixel tiles of that quality *cough* including mine *cough* but most of them are for Ace. MV has an unusual tile size that makes things harder.

16. Xenphir

Xenphir Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeahhh I only have MV. >o< I like that its bigger but at the same same it seems like bigger is worse since when you make things to the bigger tile size, naturally things have to be scaled bigger, which show more detail/shading, which takes away from the cute pixel style. I have really good default grasses, I think anyway, but have no idea how to apply them into the ground to make a ground texture where the grass blades are consistant.

Attached Files:

17. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think they are good, but they're also too individual. If you look really close at any pixel art grass texture you like, you won't see detailed blade clumps like that, or at least not many. There's a lot of implying going on in a good grass tile and lots of ways to imply that detail without drawing every single blade. Keep those as decoration B tile elements, they'll be useful.

You have a few options with MV, so all is not lost yet. You can go 16x16 and scale up 3x, like POP Horror or Time Fantasy's tilesets. You can go 24x24 and scale up only 2x, like the new DS Fes tiles do. You can do full sized 48x48 tiles and it will take you forever. You can also use some plugins and just plain use 32x32 tiles in MV. I've never tried it myself so I can't walk you through that one. It depends on how much detail you want per tile and how big your sprites are.

Making something tile is really tough work. If you're definitely going to be making tiles then I can't recommend getting Pyxel Edit enough. It's so, so helpful. It's set up so that you can map tiles and then draw on them and get an idea of what that repeat looks like in real time. So much faster.

18. Xenphir

Xenphir Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks a bunch :3 Pyxel edit seems very cool @o@ I might have to get that next paycheck! Its not so much tiles I'm trying to make its just I'm using the 48x48 tile dimensions just for size reference when parallaxing. I thought tiles would be easier but now I am not sure. I have about 50+ maps planned, and those were just basics so there will be more. ;-; Gimp also has a Seamless tool I might check out if you think that would help? Apparently it can make a texture seamless so it repeats nicely. Have not tried it yet though.

Hmm I didn't think about the grass perspective enough, thanks! I'll have to try making the grass texture without making these little plants separate.

19. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've only seen pixel art parallax style maps at a very, very small size, because pixel art gets exponentially more difficult the larger the canvas is. It's backwards from anti-aliased images, where going bigger makes things mostly easier. For the pixel look tiles are easier and faster, and add to the authenticity of the look. Tilesets are just plain lots of work no matter how you do it, there's no getting around that. And sadly, as much work as you think it is, you are probably underestimating it significantly. This is why I always push so hard for new artists trying to do a brand new, replace everything tileset. Starting from scratch as someone completely new to tiles means that you will not get to the point where you can start mapping before burnout sets in. That's really disappointing and can make people think they've failed at creating tiles as a whole. Starting with existing tiles not only gives you a good artistic foundation to copy until you're ready to do your own thing, but it means you'll be able to start mapping with your tiles right away. That, in turn, will hold off the burnout since you're succeeding as you go. No matter where the burnout catches up with you, you'll still have useable things.

One thing that you could do without using upscaled tiles or plugins is to use tiles from other scale sizes to create your own 48x48 tiles. Archeia did something similar to this when putting together the DS and DS+ tiles. They DS engine uses 24x24 tiles, so she used the tiles without upscaling and just heavily edited the ones that had to work on the grid so that they worked at the new size, either by partially tiling them within the tile and reworking the seams or upscaling them and fixing all the numerous resizing errors. The rest of the stuff could just be carefully arranged. Or you could just use the stuff from a different set that doesn't depend on the grid and make anything that needs to repeat from scratch yourself. This means you'd be doing all the A tiles, but it's still less work than from scratch.

Anyway, I know lots of possible art, just need a starting place before throwing tiles at you. Some of the Aveyond tiles are even free to use. I like to start with the sprite base and work from there, but you can do it the other way around too.

If you're doing a lot of maps you shouldn't parallax them all. Creating tilesets is more work at first, but once you've got the set up how you want it, everything gets faster and easier and you can just keep adding them. The work per map gets less the more you make. Parallax maps are the same amount of work for every single map. For a few maps it's faster per map than a tileset but that difference gets used up quickly. If it's the grid bound look you're worried about, check out Yanfly's doodad plugin, which makes for a fantastic middle ground, almost best of both worlds solution.

The Make Seamless tool in GIMP is a tool for anti-aliased images, it'll mess up your pixel art. Not really all that fantastic on a lot of raster art either, honestly. I guess using it depends on how true to the pixel aesthetic you want to be. Krita has a canvas wrap feature that functions more like how Pyxel Edit wraps the tile area, but Krita isn't very good at pixel art. Free though, so potentially worth trying out. Pyxel Edit isn't very expensive though, and there's a free, very buggy, much earlier version you can download (save very, very often if you use it). Even completely buggy and missing some significant parts I still think it's a very useful and worthwhile tool for making pixel tiles.

20. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been very busy recently, but I took some time in the past couple days to design some brickwork for my castle. I think I'm finally on to something; let me know what you think.
    I included a couple of my sprites for scale, as well.

Example 3.png

Any critique, as always, is appreciated.

starlight dream and Xenphir like this.