Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, they need to all be in the same light or there's nothing to compare.

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, they need to all be in the same light or there's nothing to compare.
Oki sorry about that, I made a quick test map without much fancy lighting and some old bad tilesets stuff I made.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yep, still like 3 best. #2 would be good for a looking down or nodding animation frame. I had previously wondered if the shadow across the bridge of the nose would work better with the hair in place, but I think not having it makes the face look more open.

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Sharm

Ah okay so the more up face works okay? I only made the lower one because I had thought the face was looking towards the screen too much. My dev partner and you both think that 3 is the best tho, so Ill likely go with it. Thanks :)

Any suggestions on my tileset art? I'd like to know what to look out for while I remake it :D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Honestly, I thought it was Celianna's stuff at first. Um, other than picking a lightsource and sticking with it, no, looks pretty good. The halo of light around the leaf edges isn't working though, edges are usually darker not lighter.

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Honestly, I thought it was Celianna's stuff at first. Um, other than picking a lightsource and sticking with it, no, looks pretty good. The halo of light around the leaf edges isn't working though, edges are usually darker not lighter.
Thank you for the feedback.

Celianna's choice of colors was something I always liked so I definitely was inspired. Tho evidently a bit too much because of it being mistaken as her work. I don't want to cause that confusion. Ill look into modifying my color pallet a bit more. Likely a little more saturated. I'd like to note that everything was made completely by scratch, I only studied the method in which Celianna shaded via her tutorials and the brightness/contrast value of the image. Ill work to move away from that tho if its a problem.

Ah you mean the halo as in the edges on the top right and stuff being highlighted. I see what you mean I think, Ill keep that in mind.

The light source is technically on the left, however shadows + map lighting change in my game. So I'm trying to make the lighting a bit more neutral so I can change the time of day easily. Shadows and light in game will offset in the direction of the sun.

This is why I'm kinda making the light a bit all around, and in mapping will tone a direction a bit. Doing dynamic light in 2d games is difficult to overcome.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Truly neutral lighting is extremely hard, it's so easy to end up with pillow shading and things like it instead. It'd be easier and look better to stick to an above light source, no angles at all. That should be neutral enough to work with most types of lighting you're going to use, but finding references will be difficult.

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Truly neutral lighting is extremely hard, it's so easy to end up with pillow shading and things like it instead. It'd be easier and look better to stick to an above light source, no angles at all. That should be neutral enough to work with most types of lighting you're going to use, but finding references will be difficult.
I'll def give that more of a try, and if worst comes to worst, Ill use a little bit of a directional shading. Enough to hopefully not cause issues.

Thank you for the amazing feedback. Ill get back to grinding hard on my art :)

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just done this guy through gimp and i'm very pleased with his look. I'm wondering should i make this guy one of the main characters or a villain, lol. If you have any suggestion like changing his hair color, his outfit or what weapon should he use,... please comment here. :kaoswt: (I honestly don't want a ghost thread anymore)

Main Character Boy Colored 2 Different hair 2.png

Main Character Boy Colored 2 Different hair.png

Gallia

Global Support
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well there is always someone like me that give opinions for almost everything.
I don't decide what haircolor it is, honestly its not bad, he definitely don't look like a villian, so make him a protagonist.
About the outfit , i could say make him a Thief , Ronin, Mage.
(Something like a Cloth - leather type armor)
About the weapon, that depend on his class you give him ;)
Or you can give him a "Katana" as Ronin and a "Rune or Magic Katana" as mage, and a Dagger or Bow as a Thief.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I find that character development works better when I come up with a story and these sorts of details before drawing. That doesn't mean that I don't draw random people and think of interesting stories for them but I've found that if the drawing doesn't say those things loudly enough on it's own without me deciding things after I'm done then the character design is too weak.

Not all drawings have to be useful. It's okay to have an interesting drawing just be that and nothing more.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Sharm X3 oh my goodness! They DO look better with that dark blue! So much better!

map2.png

Was experimenting with a slightly bigger sprite and different style I made, wanted to know what you all thought about it. Thanks again for all your feed back! :) .

Girl.gif

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I just edited few tiles to make a tree. Please give me some feedback. I used Mack's bush tile to make the foliage.
tree.png

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@KaBlooZio That's looking much better. I like the new sprite. Try the sickly looking browns instead of the green.

@callmedan Not bad. The bushes layered to be on the top would be the part that sticks out the most. So more towards the middle and not at the bottom.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Your right, that arm was looking a bit weird anyway so its convenient to fix. Any suggestions on how? I assume I should raise her shoulders a bit, and make the angle wider for the arm.

Edit* Which variation of head do you all prefer? Different eye position and or shading

Not a fan of the eyes, contrast between the iris and pupil is one shade above.. I would make the pupils darker :p

Working on Kid Goku and will probably do a female child/adult later "I prefer just drawing out the sprite than working with a template but do try and keep things similar" There's no shading or anything just an outline :)
upload_2017-9-1_17-4-47.png
2 sitting poses outlines done :)
upload_2017-9-1_20-9-47.png

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Ruriki there is a white pixel on the side of the third Sprite of the second picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh no. That moment when you try to fix something you modified in your game, like, a year ago but didn't want to fix then, and you now have no idea what you even did. Me right now, trying to figure out why my gold window is over stretched?
LittlePIGGY wrote on atreyoray's profile.
Where are you TT^TT
We need ARP_InGameManual for MZ
Oh my gosh. Thank you, Macy's! Thank you so much! You have made me very happy!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What are you thankful for? I'm thankful that I no longer have PTSD, and that I get to enjoy a good meal with my mom and stepdad! It might not be the same as before COVID, but at least I still get to enjoy the holiday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eryndor