The Resource WIP Thread 3

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looks a lot like Doomsday. I'm liking the unusual thing you've got started with the feet and legs. Love your drawing style.

2. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It kind of does now that you mention it. A little more rock like but makes me think of 90s Doomsday (aside from the gnarly mouth/teeth). Went with hooves as I ended up with taloned feet on one of the other monsters I was working on.

Thank you. =]

3. TWKII

TWKII Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here is an Update to my work this one is at 120x120
    [​IMG]
    What do you guys think about it?
    Also any advice on shading and lighting to where it would look better?

Attached Files:

4. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TWKII it looks pretty good so far.
    Shading wise, you're going to want to add depth to the various parts of the wagons based on distance, material and your light source.
    Without knowing your light source, your shading should just demonstrate the shape of the wagon itself. Are there any raised parts? The part that is raised will be lighter with darker shading going away from it. Are there creases in the curtain? Those would produce shape as well. I'd also recommend looking at a few pictures of carriages/wagons (if you haven't already done so) to get an idea for where there would be shape and shading.

I'm currently working on a new tree design for my next forest dungeon but still have to work out a few things on it (namely the branches that go nowhere).

[​IMG]

Guiguimu likes this.
  5. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TWKII As l8rose mentioned, knowing your light source is really important. If you're planning on using this with the default tiles, then the light source would be coming from the upper left so the roof would be lighter than the sides and the sides would be darker. I did a quick (and rough) edit to show what I mean. There's something about the windows that look odd to me, are the darker blue parts supposed to be the other wall of the carriage? It they are, that would make the windows on that side of the carriage much lower than the ones on the closer side, which seems a bit strange.
    New Wagon_hows_it_look-edit.png
    @l8rose I like the tree trunk, but I think you went a bit overboard with the number of trees. Rarely do trees grow that closely together, if you moved the second row farther back it may not look as crowded. The leaves aren't quite working for me, the darkest spots are too dark I think.

6. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, something was bugging me and I couldn't figure out what it was about it but you're right, too many trees too close together. Still working out different leaves for it as those are more a straight pixel style but as I can't figure out where I saved the wip psd for it, gotta restart from mostly scratch anyway.

edit

Spread out the trees a little more but still a ways to go I think. Might end up moving the outer trees in further so that there is more of a "rounded" edge to work with for shading/detail but so far so good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  7. TWKII

TWKII Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OK thanks! That helps out tons because I was trying to figure out what direction the light was at on the default tile sets, I am going to set the lighting on this one and its counter side, and start working on the back and front soon.
    once I am done here I will need a horse to be in front of the carriage any Ideas should I have it pulled by 1 or 2?

Snow White and Marquise* like this.
  8. longtimecreations

longtimecreations Villager Member

First Language:
    Enlish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I had a question the other day about adjusted RTP sprites with a custom bust. So I finished adjusting a sprite and I would like some feedback on the match with the custom bust. I am definitely not the best at sprite art, but I tried anyway. Please let me know what you think and any advice. Thank you in advance.

View attachment 87358 Gwen Walking Fully Edited.png

Attached Files:

starlight dream likes this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @longtimecreations We have a section dedicated to giving feedback on resource creation. I think your request will be seen by more people there than here.

I am, therefore, merging your post with the WIP thread

10. Snow White

Snow White Fairytale Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello again everyone :kaohi:
    I've on-and-off been editing the sprites of Vishnu and Lakshmi from before (I haven't forget about them! :D) And all of your suggestions have been so helpful :wub
    But I kinda got stuck on Vishnu's walking animation and I'm now not sure if his mace looks a bit like it's bending and made of rubber, or if it actually looks fine and I'm worrying too much *haha* :kaoswt2:
    (I also thought I'd try animating his sun disk while I was at it, what do you think @starlight dream ? :cutesmile:)
    Vishnu walk test.gif

Anyway, I thought I'd take a break from Vishnu, so I've also started the side view of Lakshmi :)
    And since her arms and the lotuses are the same on both sides, I thought I'd ask if she looks OK before I start her other side, as I'm gonna copy and paste a lot :rswt
    Lakshmi turn.gif
    Vishnu and Lakshmi MV for forum two.png
    Thank you for any help and suggestions :)

starlight dream and Guiguimu like this.
  11. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi @Snow White! :)

Nice to see you again. I think Lakshmi's sideview looks perfectly matched with the front view (I stared at her animation quite long).

Can't see anything wrong with it. Re-checking... :p

Nitpicking just because you sport the enemy Soren avatar:
    - The part of fabric that goes diagonally over her chest. Is it supposed to be equally tight on both sides? In front view it looks tight on her right, and loose on her left. If this is the case, you can copy-paste the left view you finished, and use it on her right view instead, where the fabric covering her breast is tighter.
    And edit the current left view to make the chest fabric looser.

However this depends on what you had in mind for the front view's fabric :)

I like Vishnu's animation a lot, including the halo. Maybe you've stared at the mace too long and it looks weird to you now? :p
    Have fun with the pixels (i hope!!!) ^__^

Snow White likes this.
  12. Snow White

Snow White Fairytale Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice to see you too @starlight dream :)
    That's good to hear, but I hope you didn't stare at her too long, did you still have the imprint of her on your eyes when you looked away? ;)

And that's just rotten! I'd expect no less from you Micaiah :p
    Her sari is meant to be tighter round her waist and then drape over her left shoulder, so it does look a bit too tight around her bosom for the left view sprite, thanks for pointing that out :cutesmile: (The fabric over her left shoulder on the side veiw looks OK though?)
    (And I'll still have to edit the dress for the right side 'cause her sari is asymmetrical :kaoswt: (it shouldn't be too much trouble though because I drew it on a different layer :D (and that's a bit of my Soren planning ahead and persnicketiness coming out XD)))

And I can confirm that I have definitely stared at that mace too long! :guffaw:
    Thank you, I'll try ;)

13. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @longtimecreations It's way too dark, I can't see the body at all. Give it more contrast, like the hair. The hair should also be a blue based black, try adding in a bit of color there.

longtimecreations and Snow White like this.
  14. longtimecreations

First Language:
    Enlish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm Ok, thank you for the feedback, that’s exactly what I needed. I think I follow you on the black clothing, I’m using darker greys and what I really need is some lighter greys in there to contrast? I will give it another go and post it up when I get done.

Snow White and starlight dream like this.
  15. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Not as separate clothing items but a wider range of shades within the same item's ramp. The difference between the darkest shadows and brightest highlights should be bigger.

Snow White likes this.
  16. longtimecreations

First Language:
    Enlish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm I don't know, I think I have too much difference now, and I'm not sure how to make the chest symbol pop. Either way, I updated one of the sprites before I decided to adjust them all, any better?
    UpdatedGwenSpriteSingle.png

17. Kostekaro

Kostekaro Village blacksmith Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello and i hawe hope this is right pleace for that thread.

I need your opinion and advice about style of rpg world map. I make it in standard tilestets and my edited one, can u tell me your opinion about who style is more intresting or what u think i can change in it?

I am waiting for your suggestions, you have experience that I do not have yet: P

STANDARD
    scren 2.jpg

EDITED ONE
    scren 1.jpg

starlight dream and Nutty171 like this.
  18. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The first one feels more uniform, the second is more interesting. Most of the interest is because it's different from the norm. I personally prefer the second. If you could round the corners a bit on the tree autotiles that would make it look more organic.

Kostekaro likes this.
  19. longtimecreations

First Language:
    Enlish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ignore my last post and re-edit, I would delete it if I could. I did a lot of research and studying and re-read your suggestions. I realized there was a lot wrong with my re-edit, so I got to work on it today. I got 2 different re-edits done today that I feel good about, just not sure which is better or if either is good enough to use yet. Let me know what you think if you don't mind.

GwenRecolored.png GwenRecolored2.png

GwenWatermarked.png

starlight dream and Snow White like this.
  20. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Much improved! The second one is more easily seen against a dark background, the other blends right in.