Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Autofire Adding highlights is a good way to make him look metallic. Try being more specular than broad with it though. So instead of the rim light and the larger head highlight use smaller ones in more places, especially to emphasise edges. You can also do the same with shadows, adding a little extra shade and angle to make the face seem more rigid. To make the eyes look less human, I agree with the pupil thing. I also think if you lower the contrast and make the shine smaller it will flatten the dish of the iris out. Eyes are hard to make look robotic, honestly, but I've found that taking the shine away does a lot to make someone look soulless. Because of that you could keep the contrast and just remove the shine entirely.

I did an edit (today is a good day!) I used a light blue instead of pure gray for the highlight, since gray metal tends to reflect a little more blue and it adds some dynamics to the flat gray boring ramp. You could add a little tiny bit of orangy red to the shadow to punch it up a bit there too. Sorry the edit is so sloppy, I was using my mouse.

Autofire

PICNIC Solver
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Autofire It depends on how human you want him to look, but you could get an even more robotic look by removing more features (a robot doesn't need a nose, after all). ... There's also the option of adding in lines to show where the metal panels that shape the head connect.
I want to lean more towards the human side of the scale, but I want players to be able to tell that he isn't a human. My original plan was to was to give him unique ears (i.e. something akin to microphones), but I opted to remove the ears because it probably will look better than whatever I could come up with. I could drop the nose, but then I'm afraid his face would be too boring.

I like the metal plates idea. Though I'm nervous to try this on his face, I might try "mechanizing" the neck a little. Or I could even try adding a few seams here and there. I don't want to go overkill with this, but I'll see if I can come up with something that I like.

Adding highlights is a good way to make him look metallic. Try being more specular than broad with it though. ... You can also do the same with shadows, adding a little extra shade and angle to make the face seem more rigid.
Looks up "specular." Ah, yes, I was trying for something like this. I'm not really sure how to reproduce that kind of reflection here, but I see what you mean.

To make the eyes look less human, I agree with the pupil thing. ...
Hmm.... oh, I have an idea! I don't know how viable it is, but it might end up looking pretty good.

I did an edit (today is a good day!) I used a light blue instead of pure gray for the highlight, since gray metal tends to reflect a little more blue and it adds some dynamics to the flat gray boring ramp. You could add a little tiny bit of orangy red to the shadow to punch it up a bit there too. Sorry the edit is so sloppy, I was using my mouse.
Woah, looks pretty good! I think the blue is fantastic idea; it helps the reflections look like reflections, and less like grey smears. I'm not convinced about the orange, but I'll experiment with it. Also, kudos for shading the upper lip without making it look like a milk mustache.

Do you mind if I work off the edit you've come up with? Or should I continue with my own?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't mind if you use it. I've already put in the work so it might as well be useful, right? You might want to do a little touch up. Is there any part you don't like? I still have the doc open so I can reverse a few things without messing up anything. If your goal is learning though, or if you want to be able to say "look at my edit" without an asterix, or something along those lines, you might want to do it yourself.

Autofire

PICNIC Solver
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't need to worry about keeping the doc open. Nothing jumps out at me right now, I could easily reverse some of your tweaks myself if I decide to.

At the very least, I might borrow some of the colors you've used. But I don't mind saying that the edit isn't entirely my work. I'd be lying if I said I was good at working with this kind of art style.

I'm not working on it right now, but I'll be back later today with further edits. Again, thanks for the help!

EDIT:
Editted2.png
I haven't done much with it, though I did recolor the shadows a very small amount. I think it looks better for it. The main thing I did was add the seam on the forehead. It's small, but I feel like it helps to break up the otherwise unused space, and is obviously not natural. I might make it a little more bold, but I'm pretty happy with the curvature of it.

Last edited:

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3

Trying out a DQ style overworld sprite for Luciel. I am learning that when it comes to 8-bit, somethimes less is more.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I had a question about game pallets
I want to use my windowskin as my game's pallet.
Window.png does this seem good? I mean it doesn't have a whole lot of variety, but I noticed default windowskin has tons of blues. so I made a grip of skin tones.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@chungsie The "Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread" thread is not really for resource-related questions, so I've moved your post to the WIP Thread instead. Have you tested your windowskin in-game? It's usually a lot easier to judge if it works or not when you can compare it to the rest of the game's look.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hiddenone my mistake. I looked through the rules and thought it applied as general conept.
I haven't made all my resources yet, but I started on a grass texture in the pallet. upload_2018-7-25_14-13-41.pngI feel it needs improvement but it's a start for now. just three color grass texture. might go with something simpler. but I think this gives an idea for how it might look with that pallet

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@chungsie It's a grey area I'd say, if you'd included a bit about the game then I probably would have left it. Since you seemed interested in palette help, this thread is more likely to get other artists' attention.

Your grass looks like it's pretty busy, so something simpler would be a good idea. You don't want the floor to take away too much of the player's attention from the characters on screen, after all.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
ya I get that. @hiddenone I've reduced the noise significantly and it seams together much better upload_2018-7-25_14-51-34.png

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@chungsie It's much easier to look at! :) Once you've made some more tiles, you may actually want to go back and add a few more grass-like parts (it'll all depend on the style you settle on) but it's a good start.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hiddenone as for style. I know something with 64 color pallet. I had the idea of making it all sort of look like paper in terms of ui and mapping. Here I'll pull up the map I'm working on for the title screen. I want it to feel as if you're in some kind of arcade playing a DND style rpg, that focuses on immersion and story with lots of room for player freedoms.mapBG.png
I use this as the title screen background. I have been writing a custom set of windows for the title scene. so far it is just two windows doing simple things.

capture3.gif

One friend said the window skin reminded them of breath of fire. I was curious about the pallet before I go and animate a coin going into a slot. Someone suggested making the cursor appear as a coin for this part of the screen. After the animation, was going to make the command window for new game, continue and quit.

UPDATE:
I spent some time making icons with this pallet. and I think it works really well. It just doesn't work well with the beige for background color for windows. So I switched it to a darker color in a test project for graphical testing.
C5VgPHT.png

aside from that. I finished the first 2 thirds of the title screen sequences.
1st sequence being a blinking text telling the player to insert a coin (will specify that it's spacebar at a later date)
2nd sequence being the coin being inserted.
capture 7-25 2.gif

I would like to speed the coin animation later.

So um, how does this work for a pallet so far? I also did some tiles a bit yesterday, but I want to edit them a lot more before I show them off in screens.

Last edited:

Natelus Densier

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have some screengrabs from my current project, where i'm spriting everything from scratch, and was looking for some tips or input.

screen1.PNG

screen2.PNG

screen3.PNG

I am currently having issues with a seam appearing on particular buildings where it transitions from the overhead tiles to the beneath-the-player tiles. i'll hopefully have that fixed soon.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
what do you mean?
@Natelus Densier It doesn't seem that there is an issue with your tiles. they are quite nice. could highlight the trouble areas you mention?

Last edited:

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Natelus Densier Those are some pretty nice looking tiles. :) The only thing that really sticks out to me is the dock that you've got winding around the building in your second screenshot, specifically the corner pieces with the diagonal planks. Basically that seems odd since at the moment it looks like the planks are getting thinner as they get closer to the inner part, whereas they should stay the same thickness like your other dock tiles do (the ones with a bit of transparency in to see the water below). The easiest way to fix this is to just set up those tiles the same as the other dock tiles.

Natelus Densier

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@chungsie The issue i've been having is mostly a seam on some of the buildings, noticeable on the upper left building in the first screenshot.

@shadefoundry It does make sense now that you mention it. i suppose the reason i didn't go over them already despite being some of the first tiles i've made is that i just have so much i need to do yet lol. i'll go into the map and alter that when i get the opportunity.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Natelus Densier you could always try making a tile that covers it. one which is for corner pieces such as the one you mention.

Natelus Densier

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@chungsie i found a solution for it, mostly in not putting any different sort of tile behind it, such as drawing out a pathway on the lower layer while its obscured by the upper layer doesn't work as well.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3

I may have to go over this one again, I messed up the shading behind the front legs. This is the last playable character intro Sprite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone can recommend a good gaming mouse? My mouse wheel has given up. Last mouse was steel series diablo iii edition (I know, it's been a while)
And then I figured out a way to doing a "regular animation" that's affected by PIXI particles. So now each frame of the animation gets particle effects. Soon my dreams of a world without QSprite will be realized. :kaopride:
Currently every NPC in my RPG gets a name, its kinda useless to name all, but Its also cool, somehow.
Biggest prob is to come up with different names. xD
I'm back from my visit to my family. Was really great to see them again after a year even if I had to get tested for covid for the visit.
Procrastination at it's finest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmee