Akihiko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Help needed please.

A friend of mine gifted me RPG maker MV around a week ago. I haven't touched it yet. I've never touched RPG maker before in my life, so I have a few questions.

I'm making my game completely from scratch. The sprites, art, everything.

I started off with making the sprites. They're all a little smaller than 48x48. Anyway, I just realized they aren't completely centered in the 48x48 square. The sprite is off by 1 pixel. The red line is longer than the purple line.
Will this be a problem?

Currently, I'm working on a "blueprint" for the interior of a mansion hall. What I did here was make a grid that has 48x48 squares. Here's what I got so far:

So my question here is this; some of the objects in here don't fit perfectly inside the 48x48 squares. They'll partially go into other squares.

For example...

This is a carpet. It doesn't fit neatly into the 48x48 squares. So if I were to draw my own carpet tiles, how would I set them down in rpg maker mv? I think they are called auto-tiles, right...? So is it possible to partially cover up a 48x48 square instead of covering the entire thing with the carpet? Like in the picture, it's on three squares, but it doesn't cover up those three squares entirely.

Same with the picture frame:

It's a pretty big frame that partially takes up all 6 squares.

The railing overlaps between two squares. Since it doesn't fit perfectly in a 48x48 square, will I still be able to use this? Graphics that are smaller than 48x48, yet overlap between two squares... How do I get this to work?

The door is smaller than the 48x48 square. Will this give me any problems?

So some of the stuff that I drew don't align perfectly with the grid. Will this be a problem? How will I align things how I want them to be in rpg maker? If I wanted to import my picture frame into the game, would rpg maker just snap it into place to fit perfectly within a 48x48 box, or can I freely move it how I want?

Also, here is the exterior of the mansion I drew.
When drawing this, I didn't think to make a grid. Will that be a problem?

Please let me know if you see any problems. If I'm doing anything wrong, what are some ways I can fix the problem?
Sorry if I'm not making sense. It's sort of hard for me to explain. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Akihiko try doubling the center axis yet? The pixel should be divisible by two to have symetry on an axis that is equidistant to the sides. I know a bit about auto-tiles. as from what i know, the center to an offset grid, on the tile, is drawn repeatedly. The grid being 48x48 and having a 24 px offset. Then you have the corners and the edges. You can organize those areas however you please. And yes you can use transperencies on an auto tile to have holes in the tiles. now auto tiles rely on symmetries to work without a noticable seem, so there is that to consider. and because you can have transparencies in a tile, your offset tiles will be fine, you just want to make certain they are the correct dimensions 48x * 48y, where x and y are constants that represent the number of tiles wide and long.

Akihiko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@chungsie I'm dumb and didn't understand what you just said. :kaocry:But are you saying it is possible to have tiles that only partially cover a 48x48 square and not the entire square? tbh I haven't really even opened rpg maker and messed around with it. I just went straight into the artwork. When I get to the point where I can attempt to "double the center axis", do you mind if I message you to get help on that? It might be way later in the future though lol

I plan to decorate my carpets with a simple and symmetrical pattern. If I mess around with transparencies and whatnot, will the patterns on the carpet get messed up?

-and also, what about the things like the picture frame partially covering 6 squares, or the door being smaller than a 48x48 square, or the fact that the railing overlaps into two squares. Will any of this be an issue, or will I be able to keep it that way when bringing it into rpg maker?

Last edited:

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
for all graphics, exists resolutions for canvas. if the canvas is 48x48 then you are fine. if it is larger, it will need to be broken into 48x48 pieces. maybe look at some tile sheets for mv to see how they are all fit together. not all tiles are on the same sheets either. tiles work with layers. maybe read the documentation on tiles in the manual. I would open the engine and look at documentation, and then create assets :p

Akihiko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@chungsie I see. That's very good to know. So a big piece like the picture frame can be broken into separate pieces...
When cutting it into separate pieces to fit a 48x48 square, would I have to draw the wall paper as well? (For this example, the pink would be the wall paper)

Sort of like this? Or can I leave the wallpaper part transparent?

What about graphics that are smaller than 48x48, but overlap into two squares like the railing?

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely have to give it a read. There's a lot I need to learn lol

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
if you haven't looked at an existing tilesheet file, then it will take me a million words to say what is only a few bytes of information.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Akihiko I suggest you look at the existing tileset to get a good understanding of how it's set up.

However, you can simply ignore the tileset and create an entire map in your preferred image editing software like Photoshop. Then you'd simply use the complete image as a parallax background in RPG Maker. Look up "parallax mapping" for this technique.

And yes your railings are possible to make in 48x48, you'd simply need to have the top part of your railing as another separate 48x48 tile. I do this all of the time and my railings look exactly like yours. I have thinner doors as well as taller doors than the standard. it works because doors are made with event graphics. Event graphics can be any size (though it's easier if they're at least 48 pixels wide, yes that can include transparency, so that you can easily center them on the walls).

However, you would still want to pay attention to the grid. Your character will be walking tile per tile, so 48x48 pixels each time. If you create a house with a door that isn't centered on a 48x48 tile, it will look very awkward for the player who is trying to reach that door. So keep in mind where the player can walk and where they can't.

Akihiko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Celianna Thanks for the help. I'm definitely going to look into parallax mapping. If I do parallax mapping, I need to adjust the railing and a few other things so they're in their own 48x48 box. I heard you should do this if you're trying to add collision? So I'll give that a try. :kaoslp:

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
upload_2018-8-5_17-52-5.png
This is my first attempt drawing some pixel art tree, some feedback would be nice XD

Akihiko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Knayter That's a nice tree. I like how you did the shading and lighting on the leaves.~

Autofire

PICNIC Solver
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Knayter I agree with @Akihiko. That does look really good. I'm quite impressed with your color choice on the leaves. Rather than just using flat greens, you have yellow and blue tones. It reminds me of this analysis of Frogatto's art. (You don't pull from quite a wide range of hues as Frogatto, but that's alright. I don't think you have to go that wide on the hues. It depends on the tone and style you're going for.)

My one nitpick is... the tree trunk looks quite blue. You've textured it so that it doesn't look like metal, but it's almost colored like metal. It doesn't feel quite right, IMO. Unless you're creating a true with blue/grey bark, I'd suggest making it it not as blue. If it's a birch tree, maybe make it a little paler, and put some lighter shading on the left side of it, since the sun is coming from the left.

But the leaves are fantastic!

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Akihiko thank you XD
@Autofire thanks for the feedback. I will definitely going to fix the trunk

HazukiWolfe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
ok so I feel like I'm horrible at pixel art x.x I'm trying to get better but right now I really need help. I'm trying to make my own battler. I have done a few but I came across Vibratos battlers and I fell in love. So I wanted to make some that looks like them. V.V It looks bad and I've been trying all day to make it look good. anyone please help me.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@HazukiWolfe MV Support is not for helping with creating the graphics we use in our projects. For that we have the section Resource Support. I am merging this with the WIP thread in Resource Support.

HazukiWolfe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@HazukiWolfe MV Support is not for helping with creating the graphics we use in our projects. For that we have the section Resource Support. I am merging this with the WIP thread in Resource Support.
oh ok. Sorry I didn't know

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3

Tried to fix up Diamond's sprite, also removed Wroth's lumps to make him look cuter. Also, some overworld sprites for Wroth.

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@HazukiWolfe
You probably already found out on your own how to improve your battler. Because nobody commented, I wanted to let you know that I think it's a great start!

In case you still need some advice or a starting point: To me it looks like her right hand is a bit too big. Depending on the style, both arms could also be a few pixels too long. The legs, however, would definitely look better if you make them longer overall. Other than that, it looks great to me :)

@Benny Jackdaw
I love the walrus :) I also love how the belly button is also the eye of a rubber duck! Unfortunately it's really hard to spot due to the orange shorts. If you play with the color of the shorts, or even try a different color altogether, it might look even better.

Just another suggestion for the walrus... Personally, I'm not that huge of a fan of the freckles on his upper lip. I imagine that you could improve on his appearance overall if you give him a very distinctive (overly visible) mustache instead. That might give him more personality.

Regarding the fox I want to suggest that you work a little bit on the colors. I remember I did the exact same mistake when I started pixel art, as I was not very brave when I was choosing my highlight and shadow colors. You can be more brave, too! :) Try a darker grey for the nose, and either use an even more darker purple for both the shadows and the outline of the fur or use two different Colors for these two. Right now it looks a bit pale overall.

The shading on the stomach is also a bit confusing. There must be a bulge which you indicate using your basic white to give it a shape. At the moment it looks flat.

I'll show you what I mean. I also made the mouth a bit longer to make it look more fox-like. Oh, and I tried making the pink a bit darker because it didn't quite work with the shadow color. However, I'm not satisfied with the color choice, but I wanted to show you how it changes the appearance – and maybe it gives you inspiration to play a bit more with the colors :)

suggestion.png

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
@HazukiWolfe
You probably already found out on your own how to improve your battler. Because nobody commented, I wanted to let you know that I think it's a great start!

In case you still need some advice or a starting point: To me it looks like her right hand is a bit too big. Depending on the style, both arms could also be a few pixels too long. The legs, however, would definitely look better if you make them longer overall. Other than that, it looks great to me :)

@Benny Jackdaw
I love the walrus :) I also love how the belly button is also the eye of a rubber duck! Unfortunately it's really hard to spot due to the orange shorts. If you play with the color of the shorts, or even try a different color altogether, it might look even better.

Just another suggestion for the walrus... Personally, I'm not that huge of a fan of the freckles on his upper lip. I imagine that you could improve on his appearance overall if you give him a very distinctive (overly visible) mustache instead. That might give him more personality.

Regarding the fox I want to suggest that you work a little bit on the colors. I remember I did the exact same mistake when I started pixel art, as I was not very brave when I was choosing my highlight and shadow colors. You can be more brave, too! :) Try a darker grey for the nose, and either use an even more darker purple for both the shadows and the outline of the fur or use two different Colors for these two. Right now it looks a bit pale overall.

The shading on the stomach is also a bit confusing. There must be a bulge which you indicate using your basic white to give it a shape. At the moment it looks flat.

I'll show you what I mean. I also made the mouth a bit longer to make it look more fox-like. Oh, and I tried making the pink a bit darker because it didn't quite work with the shadow color. However, I'm not satisfied with the color choice, but I wanted to show you how it changes the appearance – and maybe it gives you inspiration to play a bit more with the colors :)

View attachment 96316
the freckles are supposed to be a shaved lip. Part of his character is that he's a bit immature, and wants to stay a child forever. Having a mustache would detract from that. As for the pallet, I'm trying to use NES colors, and I'm using colors I got off a Dragon Quest Sprite sheet since I'm trying to go for an authentic NES look. That being said I do got what you mean, as the duck does blend in with his gold diaper, so perhaps I could use a different yellow, or perhaps a white.

Okay, the way you shaded her stomach looks way better than how I did it. And playing around with shading is advice I've been given in the past, and I still haven't gotten it down yet. Again, though, I'm trying to go for an authentic NES look, so I'm trying to use colors within the NES palette.

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Okay, I see. Unfortunately I'm incredibly bad working with color palettes. I saw that you wanted this retro look, but I haven't thought about limited colors. Shading and finding the right colors was already very difficult for me and took a lot of time and practice to get used to. Sticking to a color palette proved to me to be even more difficult :(

Maybe you can find your way on your own with more general advice - or someone with more experience :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Update... no scam calls all day. I think they learned their lesson. And I'm working on a fake anti-piracy video, featuring a fan game I'm making in MV. If I had the permission to make the game a licensed game that I could sell (rather than having it totally free like fan games are required to be), I'd use a really cool anti-piracy screen...
People2_1 added! ( with alternative hairstyle )

Hey there fellow makers!

just looking for an excuse to post this, really... :kaoslp:

"Hey, John, it's time for October, which means Pumpkin Spice in EVERYTHING!"

"NOOO, please, no more Pumpkin Spice!!"
Found this cool software for organizing my game making work. :LZSrasp: (and it's free!)
https://comigo.itch.io/cosmic-everyday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giunillo