The Resource WIP Thread 3

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    The wood tiling is pretty bad... it's perfectly straight! Go to an actual theater and you'll notice the tiling is not like that at all...

Wanted to show how much the criticism helped :)
    palleteupdate.png

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That does look better. Where is your light source?

Edit: Oops, ninja'd by Rukiri! The improvement is great. You always had skills. I think the reduction of color count made a huge difference.

3. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Trying to get the light to like its coming from the front of the stage.

4. Milu

Milu Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been working on a basic large sword on the ground/table/whatever. It's been difficult to get the hilt and blade look right. I think I'm getting close...? upload_2018-10-4_1-17-44.png

Here's a comparison to some edited RMMV weapons that I'm also using in my game:
    upload_2018-10-4_1-21-37.png

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The pommel is a little off center from the grip, and the cross guard could use some sharper shading to indicate planes and corners instead of being all round and soft looking, but I'm not seeing anything that would be a huge problem. Can you say what's bothering you about it?

@sleepy_sealion I haven't forgotten you, but I'm trying decide the best way forward. The light source you picked is difficult, and I think I'd need to do another edit to show the problems, and sadly I don't have the energy for it at the moment. The main problem is that you've got a lot of stuff lit from the top and not the sides, or things like the railings that are trying to do both at the same time in odd ways, so they conflict.

6. Milu

Milu Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing particular. I just had been looking at it too long and wanted other opinions, so thank you for the critical opinion. :)
    (Also, I'm not a professional, and people generally don't seem to comment graphics that much in the MV resources section, so I'm interested to know what people think.)

Marquise* likes this.
  7. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aha! Well, I think getting it to sit on the table and look right is very hard and it's really cool that you're making stuff like this. Angles like this are tricky. I can easily see these as being useful.

Milu and Marquise* like this.
  8. sleepy_sealion

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Having a hard time with making people sprites. Or at least I think I am?
    [​IMG]
    Only reason this one looks okay is due to copying the default sprites though.
    Edit:
    Also here's an old man.
    [​IMG]
    I wish I could just draw everyone from scratch each time, since I'm more used to that. Though maybe I'm stuggling cause I'm treating pixel art like a free hand drawing?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  9. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I hope this is the correct place since its development related and things are too early for a project thread.

So I've started with the essentials and its going great. But my nemesis the color green has appeared, and this thing features a lizard person in the party.

hamza_wip2.png So I wonder: if this is readable enough against the tiles?

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Weremole We have a thread specifically for WIP assets where you can get detailed feedback.

I am, therefore, merging this with the WIP thread.

11. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Ah, dang. Sorry about that. Thank you.

12. CallMeKerrigan

CallMeKerrigan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm trying to make baby dolls with the nylon head, arms, and feet and the cloth body (kind of like cabbage patch dolls). I feel like I am not getting at what I am going for. Can you tell what this is?

babydolls.PNG

Snow White likes this.
  13. Riuyuri

Riuyuri Dead Inside Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I need help choosing what sprite to use for this bar tender I am using in the game.
    The game is set in a modern day with a creepy city and beautiful places to explore.
    and he is one of the many NPCs the main Character can befriend.

$BigMonster1.png

I feel like the suit makes him look the part of a bar tender but I also like the other one as well. :kaosigh:

Sincerely Riuyuri

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  14. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started on a character sprite. I'm not very good at art, so before working more on it I'd like to see if anyone finds the perspective/proportions of the character are off so I don't have to redo it all later on ^^U The pose is a bit weird but I didn't know how to put the arm lol It will be kinda covered by the text soooo...

Lianne2.png

Snow White and Marquise* like this.
  15. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Riuyuri I've merged your post with this thread, the best place to get feedback on resources.

16. sleepy_sealion

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Was testing some scripts - to get a more "Paper Mario" look. Which I mean - you have a front sprite and a back sprite that's flipped.
    Trying to water down some things so I can make game approaching easier.
    [​IMG]
    The script is fine for the most part, characters flip images if they're turning left, and un-flip for right.
    Kind of looking for advice if it looks weird or not?

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    upload_2018-10-28_20-49-6.png
    Most of Gine is complete, her hair is being problematic atm... me being a perfectionist is not helping><

There is no color pallet for me to go on for gine, other than her pink suite from Extreme Butoden, however her straps and chest plate were green to match Bardocks (the bardock that most remember) I will include an alternate Bardock story line that still incorporates Gine but is otherwise follows the same TV Special.

Will probably do children next and start making bases based on them.

Speaking of bases, made faces.
    upload_2018-10-28_20-58-0.png

I'm copying directly from Pyxel-Edit which is why there is a black bakcground.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  18. Snow White

Snow White Worst case Senerio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @megumi014 I think she looks really good, but if you don't mind me giving constructive criticism on two tiny things I've noticed? :)
    I think her eyes may be a little too low down her face, because most adult's eyes are set approximately on the half way line between their chin and the top of their head (Ignoring their hair, because their hairstyle can make their head look bigger)
    And the right side of her face (around her chin) looks much thinner than the left side, even considering her face is turned away slightly.
    (There's also a tiny bit of white under her ear where you haven't painted the shadow colour, but that isn't a big thing :D)
    Apart from those little things, I think she looks really good, I like how you've matched the outline colours to the dress, skin, etc. :cutesmile:

OK, why did I come on here again? XD
    Ah yes, I've been making a sprite of the Egyptian god Horus, but I can't decide what kind of hair to give him, I'm thinking either the typical Pharaoh style headscarf, dark shoulder length hair with gold beads on the end like in some of the ancient paintings of him, or go full on fantasy and give him white hair that looks like falcon feathers :D
    I just want to know which is closest to how you see him? As I'm probably gonna put him up as a resource once I'm done, so I want him to be useful to you guys in the future too :)
    Horus Without Hair.png

dragoonwys, Marquise* and megumi014 like this.
  19. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Snow White I love constructive criticism :D That is why I posted the sprite here, thank you for your input. As soon as I have time I will try to fix the face ^^

As for Horus, I don't know if I would recognize him with white hair, but since he has the beak-face I guess if he had some kind of wing-shaped headband it could work and be more original than the typical black hair, like these.

Snow White likes this.
  20. sleepy_sealion

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't plan ahead, and now my npcs are overlapping. Anyone have any ideas how to salvage these sprites - or know any tricks when using actors larger than 32x32?

upload_2018-11-6_10-42-11.png

Marquise* likes this.