The Resource WIP Thread 3

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oooh, pretty! You have a line down the right side of the tile, I think you accidentally went over the tile line when you created the darker side, but otherwise it's a huge improvement. The obvious repeat is gone and it looks just a lot better somehow.

shadefoundry likes this.
  2. shadefoundry

shadefoundry Is Sinistar Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Welp, school is busy right now so it took me like 5 days to do this when it should have only taken me a couple of hours at most, but regardless I've finally fixed the line on the right side of my cliffs.
    [​IMG]
    Turns out it wasn't really an actual line, so much as it was sloppy shading on my end that needed to be fixed.

Sharm and Finnuval like this.
  3. ElOtario

ElOtario Villager Member

First Language:
    Pretuguês
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Here are a few sprites I made for a Dwarf, Elf, Half elf, and Human respectively. I still need to fix the dwarf becayse I accidentally made the shoulders facing backwards and the arm animation is awkward, but I think the rest is ok for now (probably because I drew the rest on top of a looseleaf spritesheet). What do you think?

$DwarfRealOne.png $ElfRealOne.png $HalfElf.png $Human.png

Marquise* likes this.
  4. NovelBallon79

NovelBallon79 NPC Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The faces are blocky and large, despite trying to look more detailed and human. I would suggest taking some details out or reducing them (latge chins and cranium bumps). The torsos shouldn't have bumps for the abs on them. Other than that, the amount of detail considered is impressive anatomy wise, and you are off to a great start!

5. KaBlooZio

KaBlooZio The Blue Magi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Working in Gray-scale again... haven't been doing much Pixel Art recently, just wanting to know if you can point out things I could improve in this piece. Plz and thank you :) .

upload_2019-2-16_17-22-50.png

Marquise* likes this.
  6. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would bring the eyes down a bit, then make the ears taller. On a normal human the ear lines up with both the bottom of the nose and the outside end of the eyebrow.

Marquise* likes this.
  7. ElOtario

ElOtario Villager Member

First Language:
    Pretuguês
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I'll keep that in mind.

8. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Went back to my base and changed a few things, arms are always gonna change per person and didn't feel like adding definition since well... this is a base after all.

[​IMG]

The actual size will change will probably move the female down by 4 pixels which will give the size of 55px vertically trying to actually shorten the base a bit as 70px vertically is a bit much.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Pretty cool, but the girl's hips should be her widest point on the legs, not so low down towards the knees. Hips and accounting for them is, in my opinion, the biggest structural difference between men and women. Women's arm bones are a little bit turned and hang differently so they can rest away from the hips, with a slight bend at the elbow that moves the arms away there. Men's shoulders are wide and their arms can hang straight down, but because women's arms have that bend, the shoulders don't have to be as wide. Stuff like that. Because of the hips, the widest point of a woman's thigh isn't near the knee, it's usually right up next to the hips. Unlike a guy whose different structure would make it so the muscle bulk would get in the way of the arms if it's too high. There can be the case, in female bodybuilders, where there is bulk near the knee, but this doesn't always happen even then, and I suspect has more to do with the use of testosterone than natural muscle distribution typical for females.

That was probably TLDR. Sorry. I find this stuff interesting.

gothicvoid likes this.
  10. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I used manga references over realism "no manga style in particular" but the basic principles are the same.
    Think I got it though, granted no arms at the moment...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Sharm likes this.
  11. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Really? Huh. *looks it up* Ah yeah, he does make the legs adorably chubby, but it's not quite the same as what you've got. I know what could work. Instead of having the widest part at the knee or at the hips, have it kind of at both. Here, I'll do an edit.

bulma.png

I think this keeps the style a little better and lets us have a more feminine silhouette. Man, he does feet very differently than what I'm used to.

12. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    And now... I want to draw pretty outfits, okay jk.
    but thanks.

Sharm likes this.
  13. KaBlooZio

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    LeBlac.png
    LeBlac2.png
    LeBlac3.png
    Experimenting with NES era colors and style again! This time Ive made a SV battler and sprite based off Octopath Travelers Villain, LeBlac. Originally I wasint going to use highlights since NES graphics I think didint use them much, but decided to anyway. I think I might have a bit of banding, and maybe some jaggies. Still learning to spot them myself. Would appreciate any feedback any of you might have to offer. Thank you in advance! :) .

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  14. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nice! It definitely looks NES era. I can tell you've been doing your homework.

I don't see any jaggies, but you do have a lot of banding. Maybe it'll help to think of it this way, the transition color or shade shouldn't ever outline unless it's actually the outline. It looks like you're not using outlines on this, so anything that looks like an outline is banding. It's higher level stuff, but when working this small you might want to consider watching out for orphan pixels. I'm seeing a lot of them on this piece. Orphan pixels is high level because it's a sometimes thing. If you only have two options, an orphaned shade next to a highlight with banding is better than an orphaned highlight and shade banding. Defining the pointing hand is more important than making sure there's not a black spot in the middle of it. You have to pick your battles.

Aside from the technical pixel art stuff, I think you need to be a bit more careful with the anatomy. The huge bust, long front arm, and overly broad shoulders are very much out of proportion to the rest of it. So half of her is chibi but the other half isn't. Something that will help a lot with that is to structure the entire body before putting any clothes on. Something as shapeless as a robe seems pretty easy, but if you don't know the underlying structure of the body inside it, all it does is make creating good proportions harder.

I really like the twisty bits in the magic effect. I think it could use a little AA, but I can understand why you'd be skipping that for this piece. I think we need to know, though, what your end goal is. Is it more important to invoke the nostalgic feeling of an NES sprite, or is it more about accuracy? Sometimes it's important to sacrifice accuracy for better quality results, and most people won't notice the difference. But if accuracy is the goal, like if you want to put it into game that runs on original hardware, then some rules won't bend. I don't think two color for effects is a hard rule, but colors per sprite and colors per screen certainly are.

The in game sprite is spot on, nothing to critique there. Overall very fun! NES era is very difficult to work with sometimes!

KaBlooZio likes this.
  15. KaBlooZio

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Sharm - Thank you so much for your response :) ! Well, being that this was mostly just practice, I was really just trying to create as close of an immitaion to the FF1 enemy sprites as I could at my current skill level, Ive been studying those on and off, trying to learn their color use. So, I suppose if mine could blend in with the FF1 enemy sprites, then my goal will have been achieved :) lol .

I see what you mean about the banding, Im kind of getting a better feel for knowing when Im doing that, but I guess I got thrown off a bit while trying to shade the sprite, I didint think NES did shading or highlights much, but it does a little, sometimes... so I guess I did a bit of banding while trying to shade X_X .

As for the orphan pixels, I think Im seeing what you mean, the pointing hand in particular. I made a few different versions of the hand before I settled on that one. Its the only one I felt good about. But I get impatient sometimes, and maybe could have done something better.

Lastly... XD ...lol, did I give her a big bust? lol.... Yeah, I suck at anatomy. I think Im going to study a bit on that, and probably try remaking the sprite, probably in a slightly different pose. I also want to try to do some AA on the magic portion and get your opinion a while later, if you dont mind.

Anyways, thank you very much again! :)

16. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, actually the pointing hand is an example of when an orphan pixel is just fine. It defines the space well and can't be removed from isolation without losing important information. There is a black spot on the back of the other hand that's a good example of when you don't want it to stay orphaned. If it were gone and replaced by the normal purple it would look cleaner and you wouldn't lose any important information.

KaBlooZio likes this.
  17. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I've been working on a base sprite while procrastinating from my game.
    Any advice?

The arms of the left facing profile are like a pixel longer, but it makes one of them bend a bit weirdly. I can't decide if it looks better.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  18. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hm. I think the arms all look a little noodly, but I'm not seeing a big difference between left and right. I think it would look better to have the hips move on such a curvy girl, especially with the back view. It's good though, I'm not seeing anything drastic that needs fixing and it looks really cute.

Elissiaro likes this.
  19. KaBlooZio

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Lets play, SPOT-THE-ENEMY-SPRITE-THATS-NOT-ACTUALLY-FROM-FF1!

WhichOne!.png

THE ANSWER!

LeBlac4.png

LOL. I think I did a better job with her proportions this time.
    @Sharm - You were right, drawing her body before I drew the clothes helped alot! :)
    Although, I had issues putting the same amount of detail in the magic spark thing as before, so I couldent do much with AA :< .

I actually had intended to make her a little smaller, so this was what I was going for the first time.

Anyway, any feed back is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

20. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Niiice! BTW, for the fun of it, here's an edit that makes it even harder to tell apart from the rest.

neswitch.png

The FF1 monsters are limited to 3 colors. I also tweaked a few minor things because I wanted to, nothing major.

Marquise* and KaBlooZio like this.