The Resource WIP Thread 3

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did try to keep the hand at a different angle, but no matter what I did the hand it self ended up looking weird when I did that.
    But I'm satisfied with how she turned out. Thanks for all the help Sharm. :)

(Maybe now I should start thinking about looking into making a male version.... Ooor I could just make pretty hair and clothing... That sounds easier. After I fix the arm that's behind her of course.)

Sharm likes this.
  2. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Had some time today and smoothed out a few things.
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind that right direction sprites are just flipped.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Working on my own resources using the Dark Fantasy sprites as inspiration, The only thing I haven't pixeled are the sprite heads constructive critique welcome n_n
    Sprite-0001-Sheet.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Marquise* and Sharm like this.
  4. Slides

Slides Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey sooo I was wondering if there's a place where I can show my sprites and tiles and perhaps get some constructive feedback on them and stuff? Heres one of my sprites, its my main character sprite and uh yeah id appreciate feedback on it UwU
    dont steal or take it i beg

Attached Files:

Marquise* likes this.
  5. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Slides I've merged your post with the Resource WIP Thread, since this is the right place to get feedback on a sprite.

Slides likes this.
  6. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Waiting for Replies Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've ended my hiatus by doing some art! Here's one of the new things, a small medieval carpet, based on a real one.

Example 18.png

7. Slides

Slides Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey y'all, it is 4 am for me right now and ive just been spriting stuff since i cant sleep XD
    heres an improved version of that sprite:
    upload_2019-4-4_4-5-51.png The leg/perspective thing is still off but for now i think it looks good UwU feedback and criticisms appreciated

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Moo

Moo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    fr
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello :)

I'm working on a big pack of new parts for the MV facesets generator, it's almost done and I'll share it soon, in the meantime I wanted to show you some examples of what we can do with it.

It already contains about 200 files and it's just a beginning ;)

I hope that you will like.

exemple 3.jpg

9. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    OMG! I really love the variety here! :o <3 Keep it up! ^_^

Moo likes this.
  10. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    General Discussion is for talking about aspects of game making, not to show off resources that aren't available yet.

Closing.

Edit: Merged with WIP Thread instead.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Slides The zipper effect is kind of fun, but you might want to up the contrast between the colors so it's clear at the intended viewing size. The light source for the hair is. . . odd. It's like he's got a flashlight two feet from his head at eye level, but only for the highlight, not the rest of the shading on the hair? You don't have to pull this stuff from your imagination, you can look up references of real hair or even other drawings or other sprites to help you understand where to put highlights. Since the rest of the image is pillow shaded, I'm going to guess that the hair is your first real attempt at doing lighting. Lights and shadows are actually pretty fun when you understand it. They need to be consistent for the whole image, and when done right they'll help define the object better, show the shape of something from the shape of the shadow or highlight. Don't just shade edges and highlight the middle, think of where the light is coming from (traditionally in RPG's it'd be mostly from the top and slightly left and front). The contours of the shadows and highlights could be used to show wrinkles, or planes of the face, or how things are layered or the texture of the object, all sorts of things depending on placement and shape and how close it is to things like the edge or to the other lighting extreme. To make things simple for this image, try shading at the inside of the elbow, under the knee, under the chin, the bottom of the leg when it's bent, and the underside of anything that doesn't have a flat edge. So, for example, along the bottom of the bent arm is good, but the end of the sleeve near the wrist is not. It might help to clean up the lines a little too. They're really rough right now, like they were freehanded but never touched up.

As for the animation itself, what you have is a good start. On the walking frames, since the leg is bent so much that we can't see most of the foot, that would also mean that the bottom of the leg would be hidden too, otherwise they're not connected. Since that's the case, you'll need to shorten the leg by quite a bit, bring it up so that the bottom of the leg is where the knee should be. It would also be good to have the other leg moved forward. Maybe lengthen it a little and then angle the line of the bottom of the jacket to indicate the shift in the hips. I'm not positive that changing that line is the best idea, it might not work the way I'm expecting, so you might want to just test it out and go with whichever one looks best.

Slides likes this.
  12. Slides

Slides Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah I see, thanks for the input on lighting and such, although that isnt supposed to be a highlight, I wanted to give him a patch of grey hair XD I should probably make it a bit smaller though. I will work on it and post the improved version sometime later >:)

13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was wondering if it was something like that. It'll be more obvious if you change the hue a little, maybe make it a green or blue based grey instead, and also if that patch has some shading.

14. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]
    Final update before I actually start other sides and move to animations.
    Will probably ask a friend to help with the key frames as animations are not my cup of tea...

Used animation cells from a few anime series from the late 80s and mid 90s to get a grip on color saturation.
    Since my tiles will be pretty bright I didn't want bright sprites, dull colors seem to just work the best here.
    I could have gone with bright sprites but bright to mid dark tiles but that's not the look I'm going for.

Also if anyone asks why are you so slow at this, I'm mainly focusing on my RPG kit right now. So hyped for Unity 2020.1, can't believe a beta won't hit until Feb of next year:( I'd use Godot but it's C# implementation is to be desired.. it's not great.

Marquise* likes this.
  15. Benevolentwanderer

Benevolentwanderer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rukiri the female hips look... disproportionately large. Although, looking back to posts from March, it seems like someone else told you the exact opposite, lol.

Some of it is the implied foreshortening - it looks like we're seeing these sprites from slightly above, so the upper thigh seems proportionally even huger. Women definitely can be that shape, but usually only when they're on the heavier side - when someone's muscled up in the upper leg, it's more of a thickness around the kneecap than at the hip.

@Moo I like the bases, but it seems like all the models are tipping their chins in (the brow is further out than the chin) which doesn't match the facial feature placements. The top of the eyes should be lower than mid-browbone ;) Luckily, this is something that can be fixed easily by rotating the layer clockwise a tiny bit.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh have a walking sprite?
    walking sprite.png
    Ugh it's taking like 60000000% more time to implement the assets for this game than it took to make them. I think I spent half an hour tops drawing the assets, but then the rest of the work day and into today formatting them properly.... next time I trace over graph paper.

16. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Benevolentwanderer: Thank you! Because there is so much variations I think I hit a sweet spot, don't want it to be too thick or too thin.
    Also, animations are not done on the template anyway and even then I edit the crap out of it anyway it's just easier to animate on a per sprite basis. All I'm doing is drawing basically a good mid section and everyones legs and arms will be in variation to custom.

[​IMG]
    With the new movie moved to a simpler color pallet and coloring style.
    Obviously not done, the coat is just there to see if it works well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Benevolentwanderer likes this.
  17. Benevolentwanderer

Benevolentwanderer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rukiri oh! DBZ! In that case, the fem sprite works well with the general style of the series.

Hmm, I think the yellower version of his clothes is better, but I'd tweak that pallete so the highlight is a little more orange - it's reading as goldenrod instead of brightly lit orange to me.

18. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    After some critique on my own discord server made a few adjustments.
    [​IMG]
    The colors are based on Shintani's concepts.

Started working on walking animation, started with the hair.
    Goku-walk-wip.gif

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Benevolentwanderer likes this.
  19. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Had to double the frames otherwise the hair was too jumpy.

Attached Files:

Benevolentwanderer and Marquise* like this.
  20. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I usually avoid commenting on other people intellectual properties appropriations but, yeah it feels way slicker! I love the smoothness of it.