Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been procrastinating on a male walk sprite for a while now, and finally got around to starting on the limbs.
Any advice? I'm not too sure about the legs and shoulders.
And does the left or right arm look better? Cause I tried making it better with the left, but imo it looks pretty wonky and Im not sure how to fix it. So I might just keep it like the right one.

Male Sprite Template test 2.gifMale Sprite Template test.gif
Male Sprite Template test.png

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro Larger sprites can be fun to work with, but they do take a lot of time to get right. Right now I think his legs are too skinny and short compared to his muscular torso (unless he always skips leg day), so you may want to tweak them. His shoulders also seem a bit off, but I think that's partly because his neck is so thin. Try thickening his neck a touch and see if the shoulders still look weird to you. I like the effect you have with the left hand, but I'm not sure it really works with a 3-frame animation. I did a quick-and-dirty edit to make a 4-frame walk instead, maybe that's something to consider? But if you're sticking with 3 frames, then something like the right arm may be better.
walk_ex.gif

Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone Omg it looks so much better with the thicker neck. Thank you!!!
I'm sticking with 3-frame, since I'm not the most experienced with messing around with plugins.
Plus I already have a 3-frame female base and dunno how hard it'd be to have half the sprites 4-frame.. Definitely harder than just putting the sprites in the programs as they are.

Not too sure how to make the legs bigger without making them too big...
I tried, but imo it looks really weird. I've worked on it a bit and have 4 versions, thick, thin, and 2 mixed. They kinda just blur together, dunno if that's cause I've looked at them so much now though.
Dunno which version looks best.
Male Sprites.gifMale SpritesBIG.gif

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro I'm happy that the neck adjustment helped you. :) If you want to stick with 3 frames that's totally fine, I know that plugins can get confusing.

As for the legs, I think it's less their thickness and more that their length doesn't really match up with the torso's length. Try lifting the his crotch up a few pixels and I think it'd be easier to decide which legs work best. I did some quick edits to the legs to show what I mean:
Male-Sprites-copy.gif

Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone I lifted the crotch a tiiiny bit, cause I'm so happy with the torso, I don't really wanna mess it up at all, and I also dont wanna make him taller.
Also tried widening the stance a bit, cause it looked better standing still with the wider hips imo, but it might have made the walk a bit wonky, I dunno.

And also my female base sprite for comparison. I can't decide which one looks best. Either bowlegs or thicc. Will probably use the skinny legs for a less buff version maybe.
Comparison.gif
ComparisonBig.gif

Last edited:

Sanyee

Just a Random but really Cool NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, guys...!

So... a long time ago I tried my hand ar pixel art and sprites...

austin (para baixo)).gif

But never got to finish it...

:MV4:

So now I decided to redo it instead of continuing, as some mistakes that I found, ended up being because I was making with the clothes...

So here is how it is now... In all its naked glory... :kaopride:

Walking Down.gif

I only changed the arms, it seems...

Tell me what you guys think... Any tips or suggestions? :kaoswt:

Thanks a lot~....

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe have it seem like the arms aren't moving so far back so that they don't look so fast and match the legs pacing

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe have it seem like the arms aren't moving so far back so that they don't look so fast and match the legs pacing
Okay, thank you, J-G... I see now what you're talking about...

I tried to fix the arms acording to what you said:

Walking Down 0.2 .gif

How does it look? should I make it closer to the body?

Thank you for the help~ :VXA2:

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Arms look much better! Now try and see if you can make the legs move 1 pixel further back so that it looks a bit more like a walk. Since at first glance it only looks like it's picking them up. Also may a slightly darker shade for the illusion of it.

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Arms look much better! Now try and see if you can make the legs move 1 pixel further back so that it looks a bit more like a walk. Since at first glance it only looks like it's picking them up. Also may a slightly darker shade for the illusion of it.
Hey, J-G!

I did the modifications, what do you think? I made the shade a tone darker, think its good or should I try a little bit darker?

Walking Down 0.3.gif

Thanks, you're helping me a lot! :kaojoy:

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So much better! I think it's great now. Now if you want, you can add shade details or leave as is. This depends on you and your needs.

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So much better! I think it's great now. Now if you want, you can add shade details or leave as is. This depends on you and your needs.
Thank you so much! You saved me! :kaojoy:

Now its time to make the left/right movement...

This is what I have for now...

move left.gif

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only detail I can see here is maybe giving the knee a slight bend, since without it, it kinda looks robotic. Very stiff legs lol. Arm movements look good on this one

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only detail I can see here is maybe giving the knee a slight bend, since without it, it kinda looks robotic. Very stiff legs lol. Arm movements look good on this one
Okay, I tried doing slight bend... ...

move left 0.2.gif

Does it look right...? :kaoswt:

And thank you again~ You're great... :kaoluv:

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks better, but maybe one more pixel in the bend to see how it looks. Since it still looks slightly odd
No worries, least I can do is help others when I can.

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks better, but maybe one more pixel in the bend to see how it looks. Since it still looks slightly odd
No worries, least I can do is help others when I can.
Okay, just one pixel... Does it look any different? :kaoback:

move left 0.3.gif

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, one pixel makes a difference. It looks better now

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, one pixel makes a difference. It looks better now
I don't know what I would have done without you! :D

And here is the last one!

Walking Up.gif

Thanks a lot~ Gonna follow you~ :kaoluv:

Reactions: J-G

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
See if you can have one of the opposite arms when walking look like it's a little more towards the back, kinda like if it was facing forward, if that makes sense
The legs, maybe have the shadow a bit more centered and higher up, that way it doesn't look like it's walking forward but facing backwards.

Again, no problem, happy to help

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
See if you can have one of the opposite arms when walking look like it's a little more towards the back, kinda like if it was facing forward, if that makes sense
The legs, maybe have the shadow a bit more centered and higher up, that way it doesn't look like it's walking forward but facing backwards.

Again, no problem, happy to help
I didn't really understand this time, but maybe its because I'm sleepy... I'll try fixing it tomorrow~ :kaojoy:
Okay, I tried what you told me, but I don't know if I did it right? :kaoswt:

Walking Up 0.2.gif

I hope it at least look a little better? lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"stats" in game term is short for "statistic", yet people keep referring it as "status".... =_=
i watched the sonic movie it was pretty good i hope they make a sequel
tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MistaCG