The Resource WIP Thread 3

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks great and yeah, its a slight hassle with things like that when both sides aren't the same lol

Sanyee

Just a Random but really Cool NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks great and yeah, its a slight hassle with things like that when both sides aren't the same lol
Just finished the last one, and made some changes in the others to fix the hair and sleeves :D

Austin Up.gif

Austin - Right.gifAustin - Left.gif
Finished up...
Austin full.gif

I guess everything is alright now? xD What do you think?

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you did great! It looks super good. What kind of game will it be?

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you did great! It looks super good. What kind of game will it be?
I have been thinking for years about making a harvest moon style game... But if I will be doing it.... I don't really know... :kaoswt:

I did a little "tilled plot".... a planted seed plot, and a little "grass" ... which didn't turnout that good, but there it is...
plantinha.gif
What do you think?

$Pantinha.png
All that space is for plants to grow ~... :kaoswt2:

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually think it's pretty neat! I like it. It has a good looking flow to it.

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually think it's pretty neat! I like it. It has a good looking flow to it.
Really? I was thinking it was kinda weird? haha Maybe I'm thinking too much :kaoswt:

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weird? Mmm not weird, I think it has a nice motion to it. Plus I'm sure in game it looks better

marbeltoast

Your future fish emporer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basic Weapon Icon Set.png

A couple of weapon icons I'm planning on using, based on designs from around the 15th century.

Counting left to right, then down a line, they are supposed to be: a throwing knife, a throwing axe, a dagger, a hand axe, a spear, a trident, a shortsword, a longsword, a falchion, a rapier, a whip, a plague doctor's cane, a mace, a flail, a morning star, a halberd, a glaive, a zweihander, a greataxe and a warhammer.

Considering that this image size is roughly as large as they'd be in the game, how good do they look? What would you guys change?

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
View attachment 132676

A couple of weapon icons I'm planning on using, based on designs from around the 15th century.

Counting left to right, then down a line, they are supposed to be: a throwing knife, a throwing axe, a dagger, a hand axe, a spear, a trident, a shortsword, a longsword, a falchion, a rapier, a whip, a plague doctor's cane, a mace, a flail, a morning star, a halberd, a glaive, a zweihander, a greataxe and a warhammer.

Considering that this image size is roughly as large as they'd be in the game, how good do they look? What would you guys change?
Mmm not much to change. Other then maybe slight change in color for the metal to look even more metallic. Aside from that, they are good.

I too am currently working on a sprite for fun, still only have one frame semi done. Still have to add detail to hair pants and shoes. I'll post it later if I get around to finish it the first pose.

marbeltoast

Your future fish emporer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmm not much to change. Other then maybe slight change in color for the metal to look even more metallic. Aside from that, they are good.
I am not sure what way I could change the colour to make them look more metallic. Shiny? More dull? A different shade, like bronze? What specifically were you considering?

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Possibly a tone or tone higher just for the highlight and mid highlight should be enough

Sanyee

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, now I tried to do a simple door...

portinha bem loka.gif

How does it look?

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@marbeltoast You've got quite a selection of weapons there, that's really cool. I'd like to suggest adjusting your shading though, right now you have most of the edges as the darkest color which doesn't really read as 'sharp'. I think it would look better if you used the highlight color right on the edge instead. I did a quick edit to the throwing ax, to show what I mean:
axe_edit.png

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone!
I just started diving into pixel art about 4 or 5 days ago. I've been watching videos and practicing every night!

I was hoping to get some feedback on these tiles. I know I still have a lot to learn so I'm hoping you guys can point out some areas where I can improve. I've also forgotten to add shadows...perhaps tomorrow!

1580445674843_Day 4 Grass Attempt.png

marbeltoast

Your future fish emporer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone Wow. That looks a lot better than my one. Trouble is, I'm not an artist. I started learning pixel art for this project, and I don't really understand how to design shading.

Like, take the concave curve of the metal, between the bottom of the axe blade and the point where it connects to the wood. I don't understand why you made that section slightly darker, but with a slight curve up as it draw nearer to the blade. It works, don't get me wrong, but if I'm going to re-design these weapons, it's going to be tough if I don't understand the finer logic of shading. Any basic tips or instructional videos you could point me towards, or is this a trial and error situation?

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@marbeltoast I added those shaded sections because I was looking at some references while working on it and they happened to have similar shadows in those spots. If you're still new to pixel art, then make sure to look at as many references as you can, just to see how light and shadows work on real examples. It does take time to learn how to translate that to pixel art, and I wish I could explain how to do that but I mostly just learned through trial and error. :rswt MiniBoss has some awesome tutorials on their site, including some on metals and weapons, that you could check out for some tips. :)

@GoodSelf Great start, though personally I think you picked some of the hardest things to start on! Nature and plants are tough to get right, so bravo for jumping right into those. One thing that sticks out to me is that your trees seem to be suffering from pillow shading, which is when the center of the object is the brightest point and it fades to shadow on the edges. You want to make sure that you know where your light source is and to use that as a guide when shading. For example, the default light source is usually the upper left, so if you were using that light source location you'd want the upper left part of the tree to be the lightest color and the lower right to be mostly in shadow. I found this guide pretty helpful when I realized trying to learn everything by myself wasn't going to work out, and you may also want to check out the MiniBoss link I shared with marbeltoast. :)

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi friends! I would love some critiques about these little 16x16 face sets I made. First time trying to do human characters, but to me they just look like eggs with wigs :guffaw:

Faces!.png

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are fairly good. Aside from the bottom left on each set, which is kinda odd. That pixel by the lips connecting to the eye makes it look like a nose. Not sure if that's intended

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@J-G Its supposed to look like a smile, Haha. I added a little pink to represent a blush - I wonder what else I could do to make it look like a smile?

Also, do you think the highlight on the girls hair is too saturated? I was thinking of toning it down a hair.

Thanks for your kind words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RM MV ACE? 2020? Super? Legends? Sword and Shield? 2.5D? RM Pixel? RM 2: Revenge of Squared RTP tiles? Don't mind me, I'm just wondering about what will be the name of the next engine.

So I came up with a new look for the paths, and along the way realized health bars are so overrated, so now a crazy red light trail follows her and gets shorter as her life decreases. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Am I allowed to make a recruitment thread NOT for RPG Maker stuff?

Like for a group project?
(NOT RPG Maker project.)
If the new RPG Maker's character generator produces full busts and can match the art styles of previous RPG Makers, that might be a big incentive to buy it. An easier way to craft custom map tile sheets though would probably be an even bigger game changer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GooseDenigoku