The Resource WIP Thread 3

grimf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I think the top should be much brighter, It looks interesting though. Like something from another world, like a cthulu chest or something, haha. Maybe opening it summons cthulu. The lock also looks like it doesn't have a top, and I think it should be under or above where the lid is.

Last edited:

Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game is one of my biggest games I'm attempting it's called Terra Knights
Story

The Main character goes with his Best friend Hunting and gets wist a way on a Big adventure Fighting their way back

Below is the main character
Sorry its so short I had a longer one and it got deleted

Attachments

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not bad shading, though parts of the face could use a little tweaking, namely the eyes. Overall, pretty good.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Demon boy I just spent 3 hours making in GIMP, probably the MC for a concept game I'm working on. Probably still not finished with his design.

Attachments

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@gabrieldiastche I like it. Just needs some refinement to match the artwork style of the map itself, but I think it's a good start. The zoom tool is going to be your friend here.

@Zquence What an interesting box shape! I'm confused about how it works though, since the lock is attached to what looks like the top and the sides, but with no bend in it, also if the top is the lid, it doesn't seem to have any thickness. For lighting, mainly I think you need a lot more contrast between the top and sides.

@Orex_ It looks like it'll be cute when done. My main advice would be to pick a light source and a shading style. A strongly defined lightsource will help define the character, and make it easier to figure out where and why to shade something, and a consistent style is essential for making everything look like it goes together. Also, you seem to be avoiding the hands and trying to generalize the feet. Those two are the hardest for everyone. It's a bit boring, but taking a little time to specifically study and practice just the parts of the body that are giving you troubles will help dramatically. Real world references can really help when trying to figure things out for any of these problems, so don't be afraid to search google or use a mirror.

@SongQueenSaeryen I'm not knowledgeable about writing music, so forgive me if my feedback isn't very good. I really like how each tune has a clear and memorable theme, to me that's super important. I think you're overly reliant on the main tune though, and the songs will be less repetitive if you branch out a bit, and do some variations or departures. I also think some elements are there too long. This one is hard to explain, um, the first song, for instance, has simple instrument choices as the lead in before it opens up, but that lead in feels twice as long as it should be, at least to me. It feels like it should swell in the middle of the phrase, not at the start of a new one. Part of this feeling of dallying too long might be caused by the tune repetition, you can stay in the instrument style a lot longer if you do something new with the tune itself. Overall, it's catchy and fun, and it has a lot of the indefinable feel of quality that amateure song writers lack.

@Morpheus Wow, that's really good! The outline is inconsistent, black for the white bits but not on the grey body stands out to me. I'm guessing you've been working from the default transparent or a pure white background. Especially when working on sprites, it's good to work with a neutral mid-tone as the background, then test it out against different backgrounds to make sure it's all working the way you expect. The design looks good to me, the bold personality is communicated clearly, and the readability and silhouette is solid.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Major WIP for the entrance hall to a school beginning with an H. Any guesses?
Map001.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The design and basic structure for the tiles is good, some solid pixel work without falling into some common pitfalls. I assume you'll be swapping out the roof later, since it doesn't match the rest at all. The main problem I'm seeing is with contrast. Some things are extremely high contrast, going from a near white to black, while others are extremely subtle, needing an tight zoom in to see it at all. You can use high and low contrast on the same tileset, but to do it you have to keep the materials in mind. The higher the contrast the harder or shinier the object will seem while low contrast makes things look soft. If you're not sure what to use when, it's just fine and probably a better idea to keep everything with a consistent contrast for the whole set. In the current setup, the contrast is creating confusion with depth, with things like the floor being more dynamically lit than the stairs. I think you need to decide if you're doing colored outlines or not right now, as well as drop any colors that look the same when zoomed out. It might be a good idea to limit your color palette. Not only will the set look more cohesive, but it'll force you to see and solve some of the problems you're hiding by using more shades. I also suggest going to mockup sooner, so you can see how tiles are interacting with each other and the sprites, and make sure it works as a whole. Lastly, the pillars are a little confusing. With how it's being used in the space it looks like it should be somewhat round, but the plinth and capital are both far too short for there to be room for that, it would have to be flat on the back side to fit. The top of the plinth is also not following the shading rules used in the other objects, I'm not sure where the side ends and the top begins. I don't think it'd be too much work to fix these things, which proves you've done a good job so far.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Sharm
Thanks for the solid feedback! The floor tiles are still WIP, I’m going to make them look not so “clean”. The roof is a placeholder because I haven’t finished that one yet lol
The reason the stairs look so white is because in Hogwarts they actually are white, but I might take some creative liberties and just make sure I have a consistent palette instead of going for it being so close to what it actually looks like. You’re right about that.
You’re also totally right about the pillar top and bottom being too short, I’ll be sure to fix it! I’m super novice at pixel art so I appreciate all the tips!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The stairs are supposed to look white? They look cement grey though. If it looks white to you, you should probably make sure your monitor is adjusted correctly, a poorly calibrated monitor can cause a lot of contrast problems when doing digital art. If you meant they're supposed to be light so adding contrast would cause it to look darker, that's not actually true. Test it out by just making the sides of each step a few more shades darker than the tops.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Sprite-0004.png

X.X took my somewhere about 3 hours of work... think it was the fireplace that I broke down. Motivation is gone on this one. lol. Would love any feedback! Thank you in advance.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's really well done, I'm not sure why you're stressing over it. The way the fireplace contrasts with the rest of the room is amazing, I've never managed to pull it off that lit up look that effectively so I'm jealous. The highlight placement of the table works in this specific room due to the fire, but if you want to use it anywhere else you should have the highlights match the others. If it's going to stay mapped uniquely like this, you should change the color of the highlight, let it pick up a lot of the yellow orange hue of the light source. The shadows by the fireplace seem oversaturated in color, I see what you're trying to do with it, but I don't think it's quite working. This is a little nitpicky, but you might want to move one of the slats of the floor texture to one side a bit, so that the shading is staggered. Having it in line like that makes the tiling more obvious. But seriously, don't be so hard on yourself, this is very good, you should feel proud of making it.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm not sure there will be people. What do you think about my character?
As for the body part, I made a new drawing And slightly adjusted the original header
I just need advice on whether this works or is bad or whatever you can think of.
You may be confused by my language. Partly, I used google to help translate.
If you think it's good enough, I might as well copy the body for anyone interested in using it.

I found a mistake and uploaded a new one. Yes, the woman's alternating arms walk, I did a little wrong.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's very stiff, but that's to be expected with the way you choose to animate. If you bend the limbs a little at the joints during the animation, that would help a lot.

Also, your front/back animation really only has 2 frames for each arm, and with the way it animates one of those frames only shows up for 1 out of 4, making the animation look very twitchy. It needs a little movement on both ends of the swing, even a small amount would really help.

There's other things I could suggest, like studying how animators for cartoons do walk cycles, but considering the way you're going about animating, you're probably more focused on efficiency than perfection.
You mentioned the girls animation in your post, but I thought the animation was the same? She's really hard to see. She's not the lead so she gets blocked off a lot, her art style is different, and she has such a light outline she blends into the background. If you want us to help you with her, you should make a different example image or video, one specific to her and not part of his showcase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nyeh heh heh

Goblins like spooktober
Welp, ended up at the hospital with the oldest so mebbe might make the game jam's deadline. Maybe not. Regardless, really digging MZ.
I had lots of fun! Kids loved me, and some took pictures. Unfortunately, the videos didn't send... but you'll see Chica in action when I do a trailer for Fandom Scouts!
Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalaacSoran