palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, I think walking could be better. I noticed others that they walk well. And you think it might be because I put it too straight, or the character's foot stepped too long?

It's very stiff, but that's to be expected with the way you choose to animate. If you bend the limbs a little at the joints during the animation, that would help a lot.

Also, your front/back animation really only has 2 frames for each arm, and with the way it animates one of those frames only shows up for 1 out of 4, making the animation look very twitchy. It needs a little movement on both ends of the swing, even a small amount would really help.

There's other things I could suggest, like studying how animators for cartoons do walk cycles, but considering the way you're going about animating, you're probably more focused on efficiency than perfection.
You mentioned the girls animation in your post, but I thought the animation was the same? She's really hard to see. She's not the lead so she gets blocked off a lot, her art style is different, and she has such a light outline she blends into the background. If you want us to help you with her, you should make a different example image or video, one specific to her and not part of his showcase.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure about the step being too long, I think I'd need to look at the animation in a longer loop than what is being shown in the video. You can always just try it and if you don't like it better, you can always revert to the original.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I get and feel too that my man should adjust his body again. It's not really compatible.
And yes, I just considered it tightly again.
Yes, I have to move a little more forward.

xsx.JPG

Okay, I mistakenly considered the inner leg, walking sideways It is not natural because the legs are drawn wrong, I will renovate.
I am solving the problem of walking.My side walk seems bad and am working on it.
I'm fixing my legs and newbie to look simple.
I'm not sure about the step being too long, I think I'd need to look at the animation in a longer loop than what is being shown in the video. You can always just try it and if you don't like it better, you can always revert to the original.

Last edited:

SongQueenSaeryen

The Songstress of Harmony
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Sharm Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely think about it as I write more music, for Catty Lands or otherwise.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Tried doing a complex reflective object this time, did I nail it? :3 any and all feed back is much appreciated!

Edit: ..in particular, Im not sure about the top left part of the helmet...it just seemed to me that that area was darker...Im not sure if my perception of it was correct.

EDIT: Someone on discord told me its probably the reflection of something.... I thought it might be that. Its kind of hard for me to tell whats a reflection and what light hitting the shiny object :< . hemet.png

Last edited:

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks great, I'm also looking for an armor prototype.
Tried doing a complex reflective object this time, did I nail it? :3 any and all feed back is much appreciated!

Edit: ..in particular, Im not sure about the top left part of the helmet...it just seemed to me that that area was darker...Im not sure if my perception of it was correct.

EDIT: Someone on discord told me its probably the reflection of something.... I thought it might be that. Its kind of hard for me to tell whats a reflection and what light hitting the shiny object :< . View attachment 162451

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, very nice! My suggestions for fixing it up are to hard to describe, I'll use an edit this time.
helmetedit.png
So, you were right about the shadows not being as dark as the reference, so I added a new shade, then took everything on the shaded part and shifted it one step darker. I changed the curve of the ridge to better match the reference, with a less shallow curve and more room for the forehead. The top's shadows were hard to pinpoint if you just go by the reference image, but that's where real world knowledge is helpful. It's mostly a ball shape, and if you light a ball from that direction, you'll get more of a swoosh than a circle, and if you know that you can see it in the reference. I removed a few spots of what I guess is reflected light along the outline, as it was in places where there wouldn't be any reflected light. I did, however, add a bit of extra highlights on a few edges. This isn't reflected light, it's ridge lighting, it's a way of making a sharp corner stand out and look sharper. I did a similar thing in some places with shadows instead of highlights, adding some extra darkness to firm up the edge. If you look closely at the reference image, it's there along the bilateral ridge. I could probably do more tweaking like this, but this was just a quick edit, it's not perfect, just an idea. Oh, and I changed the color ramp. Your greys were all over the place in hue, so I made a ramp where it shifts from yellow to purple gradually.

You did a really good job with this, it's quite shiny! Most of what I changed are things I picked up from experience, not observation, and you really nailed the execution of everything based on observation. I'd say this is a success.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Need advice This is my work
Which one is better

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Body of 1, face of 2. You should use a much darker outline and more contrast between shade and the main color when making sprites, it's really hard to see what you've drawn even when zoomed in, and the sprite will get completely lost when placed on a map. They can only get away with a lack of outlines for sprites in hyper light drifter because the entire game is designed around it, using maps with large swatches of flat color and almost no details or shading.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Sharm - UGH! X3 Your colors are perfect!....or way better then mine anyway. To be fair though, I didint manualy pick mine, I was just using Asperite's default palette, but I see what you mean that my ramps were all over the place. Also, I was second guessing my variants ridge too...I thought it was too shallow as well. I think thats the part I found most challenging, since thats where most of the highlight/shine hits, and then abruptly changes to a darker color....like, I wasint sure how I should transition it, especially knowing that the ridge would cast a shadow too.... anyway, its encouraging that hear that my variant was mostly a good product :D ! Thank you so much again for your feedback!

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I briefly thought that I would color the edges of the characters like this, but to the point, I have no idea how to make the characters look jagged and smooth if I use more colors. Or you could show a small example. That I can use it would be great.
Body of 1, face of 2. You should use a much darker outline and more contrast between shade and the main color when making sprites, it's really hard to see what you've drawn even when zoomed in, and the sprite will get completely lost when placed on a map. They can only get away with a lack of outlines for sprites in hyper light drifter because the entire game is designed around it, using maps with large swatches of flat color and almost no details or shading.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't understand what you mean by making the characters look jagged and smooth. I can't do an edit with the example images, I'd need a cleaner version to work with. It doesn't necessarily need to have more colors, it's just that the colors you've chosen to work with are far too similar to each other.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Based on your advice, I tried to modify. The color is dark outside and inside is bright.
If you help fix it to make it look better That would be great

I don't understand what you mean by making the characters look jagged and smooth. I can't do an edit with the example images, I'd need a cleaner version to work with. It doesn't necessarily need to have more colors, it's just that the colors you've chosen to work with are far too similar to each other.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is just a quick edit to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. You shouldn't use it to work from, since it's very quick and very messy and not complete at all. I tweaked some anatomy while I was at it. You can go a lot darker than this with outlines if you want, and you might need to, depending on the style of your tileset, this is just one option. BTW, I noticed you have a lot of stray semi transparent pixels. You'll want to clean those up before you finalize this.

73e18951148b60c351d10f222164057c.png

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I can see, I will try to adjust as suggested again. :LZSoops: :LZScheeze:
This is just a quick edit to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. You shouldn't use it to work from, since it's very quick and very messy and not complete at all. I tweaked some anatomy while I was at it. You can go a lot darker than this with outlines if you want, and you might need to, depending on the style of your tileset, this is just one option. BTW, I noticed you have a lot of stray semi transparent pixels. You'll want to clean those up before you finalize this.

View attachment 162625

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What parts should I improve? Here again, thanks for your advice. I might bother you too much
According to the master, my breasts were wrong, so I corrected them according to your prototype and they looked great But I have a character with a big bust. That is the reason I remain the same
I want beautiful legs. How do I fix it?

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yup, that's better. To make the legs more appealing, they need to have more curves. You just need to add a little muscle in the right places. If you're having trouble, try looking up some reference images and see how it works on a real person.

The main problems you have right now are a lack of knowledge of anatomy. That's too big of a subject to cover here, and I'm not interested in teaching a course on it (I have too much to learn myself anyway). We can help you tweak it a little bit more, but it's fast reaching the point where if you want to improve it, you need to put in more work.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit again I tried adjusting my legs again. Yes, not sure if this works.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
manface.png

I know this one might have anatomy probs, but mainly I was trying to do something in a cell shaded style, does this fit that style... Im still kind of studying it, using LoZ BOTW screen caps as references.... Thank you for any feedback! X3

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Made some covers for my games.

RPG Maker Tw0FaceGames Cover-Collection.png

EDIT: New version without title menu.

RPG Maker Tw0FaceGames Cover-Collection 2.0.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to create a diagonal sprite, by following through GrandmaDeb's tutorial here.
(Basically, cutting up and resizing parts from the down and left version of the sprite.) :LZScheeze:

I've been reworking some old sketches, there's definitely a change on the artwork :kaopride:

Drawing a character who fight with his dog in battle is an interesting yet difficult affair. :D
Trying to get my good habits back again after this year... I need to go back to the gym, but Brazil is still in a bad situation of Covid-19, so I will try to work out at home! :D
I need to become a better battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PizzaRico