alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi y'all, my name Alice, I like knights and flowers. I'm also tryin' to do some pixul art for my game. It's not always going so well, so maybe y'all can help me sometime? :biggrin:

I'm making NES-style graphics, using the NES palette, but I'm not trying to be super authentic like doing all the colour restriction stuff NES has going on... Mostly 'coz I dun understand it. :biggrin: Anyway, what I got here is some portraits and, uh, pictures, so check me out?

portraits.png

So here's a few portraits I did. And yeah I know the lady's nose looks funny... Anyway, I've been trying to come up with nice frames or borders for these portraits, and this is what I've ended up with for now. What do you think? Do they look okay? And if ya got any advice on doing faces with, oh, about 26x34 pixels and three or four colours, I'm all ears!

plates.png

And here's some pictures. I was thinking my game could have kinda like storybook cutscenes, where you have like a page from a book, and these could be illustrations pertaining to the game's events and stuff, and then there'd be text to go with them. Like in a picture book, y'annerstan?

Anyway, just about any advice you got for me would be appreciated. I'm really struggling with landscapes in particular, since I want to use the NES palette and I still kinda want to limit the number of colours used in a pic...

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I posted this on the profile posts page without knowing there was a thread for this, anyway, this is my first parallaxing attempt, I'm planning on using my own resources for a project and I don't like making tiles XD
Please tell me what you think (This isn't the full map)

!wip.png

Last edited:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FirelordMaria it's a bit barren/empty and uniform, also the trees seem really small compared to the houses.
It does however feel very wintery so you got the right athmosphere already :)

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FirelordMaria it's a bit barren/empty and uniform, also the trees seem really small compared to the houses.
It does however feel very wintery so you got the right athmosphere already :)
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try adding more types of trees and props to see it if gives it a little bit of variety :)

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FirelordMaria I dig the simplicity! You done well on them trees, and I don't mind the size discrepancy at all. Actually, the more I look at it, the more fitting it looks. What I'd do differently, however, is the snowman. He seems to be drawn at a different resolution from his surroundings, so I dunno... he sticking out like a sore thumb, to be honest. :biggrin:

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FirelordMaria I dig the simplicity! You done well on them trees, and I don't mind the size discrepancy at all. Actually, the more I look at it, the more fitting it looks. What I'd do differently, however, is the snowman. He seems to be drawn at a different resolution from his surroundings, so I dunno... he sticking out like a sore thumb, to be honest. :biggrin:
At first I tried to make him more detailed but you're right, he doesn't match with the rest :/

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sounds more like a boss/final boss song than a normal battle, and also reminds me more of something like a horror RPG than your standard fantasy game.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the comment...once I have a lot of people who want this they can win it...only if there people who want it.

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's not a bad song...I just don't think it really fits a battle theme...it sounds more like a haunted church/castle...or a scene where the vilain is monologing and stuff...usually a battle is more agitated...

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the comment...again you can use this music in any way but I want it to be a battle theme.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like my music one plz tell me what you think in the comments.

Attachments

• pixels (2).png
    pixels (2).png
    10.4 KB · Views: 19

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Bendyizzt I actually moved both your posts to the WIP thread. It’s where any resources you are creating and wanting feedback on go. Art, Literature and Music is for non-game dev related works.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Soo, y'all know what the battlebacks in the original NES Final Fantasy II look like?

Final_Fantasy_II_JAP_Battle.jpg

I was gonna copy that style for my game, and I did some landscape paintin', and I liked that. But when I tried to draw some indoor battlebacks, I was like, "Oh lawd, I suck." I put together some mock-ups for y'all:

Untitled1.pngUntitled2.pngUntitled3.png

Out of these, I kinda like the grey-and-red dungeon, but the others I'm like... nnnaaaawww... So maybe some kind soul out there can help me? What should I do to make my indoor battlebacks better?

Like in my source material, I'm basically making 32x32 tiles that I copy along the top of the screen, which is where I get that copy-pasted look... Also yeah, tryina limit myself to three colours (plus white and black).

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been doing a lot more pixel art lately for my game, since it's basically the last thing in my to-do list right now. I really want to finish the third floor's furniture, so I've been working on that. Here's what I've done lately, any critique is appreciated.

Pixel Art ExamplesZOOM.png

Rug 2 ZOOM.png
The first image is some of the furniture I've made. Starting from the bottom-left and going clockwise, there is: a medieval stone washing basin, an oak washtub, an oak door, some Roman-styled toilets, made of Yew, a Guard (haven't drawn the clothing yet lol, and the player-character.

The second image contains different rugs I've made.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Robert-Character Creator, oh, rugs, I loooove rugs! :biggrin: The patterns look awesome, and the palette is spot on! The corners on the smaller rug look a bit funky though, not sure what it is? Maybe the corner & side embellishments break the unity of the pattern and the border, it looks a bit distracting on the eyes? Could you maybe try a simplified version without the embellishments, with just a plain grey border? Just a suggestion!

EDIT: Oh wait, the smallest one, with the moonlight landscape, that's a rug too? I thought it wuz a painting! :biggrin:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The light has gone out of my life.

About time they finally press the kill switch button for older makers.
Sorry everyone, I am here sporadically. After 6 years of delays after delays in my life, I try to do all mat once and that means that I spread thin everywhere because it just is impossible to crunch 6 years in one or even two, but I try! I wish many of that I would already given you and put behind but... well...
I'm looking for an experienced gamer who has played a few games created with RPG Maker, who knows what an alpha build is, who may remember the old days when cliché was the favorite word on Creation Asylum, who, if a reviewer, would ask for my permission before making a review to post on YouTube, or whatever, since I will be messaging you a 10 minute, or so, DEMO based on an alpha build of Effervesce Fallacy™.
No matter how many times I listen to him, I know this is Joker speaking, but my brain can only hear Dagda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyCat