Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, the smaller rug is actually based on a page from the Lindisfarne Gospels, so those corners are part of the design. Here:

1610893309333.png

Yeah, the smallest rug is a rug. Many rugs in medieval times had scenes depicted on them, though mostly these were hung on the wall and referred to as tapestries.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Robert-Character Creator, oh, I see! I appreciate the research bit! Personally, I would still skip the corner and side embellishments, because when pixelated, too much detail is lost... but if you want to stick with the historical accuracy, I can accept that too. :biggrin:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
*gasp*
This is so inspiring that I am now imagining a hud made that way ^^

guking

ADHDD&D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, I'm editng the XP RTP roofs (PortTown tileset) to get some more shapes to the roofs. But I'm having a hard time making it look "right" Any tips on how can I improve this bit? (also, I don't think this belongs to WIP, because I don't see it as a WIP question, more like a how to use a tool/technique)
I'm doing most of the edit on GIMP because PS really make my laptop melt, but I have access to it as well.

PS. I know the bottom corner in the top circled parts are different, I have already fixed that.

1612378080139.png

RomVHS

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hey all! I'm working on some themes for my game and was wondering if I could get any advice for mixing and/or mastering? Here's a theme that's nearly done, it's meant for a mischievous character. Although I want the theme to be simple and kind of mysterious yet funky, I feel like it's lacking something- depth or dynamically speaking.

I still have a lot to learn and mainly mix to what my ears find somewhat okay, but I can't put my finger on what needs to be done to make it a good mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The only program I use for music production is FL Studio 20 if that helps.

Bit By Bit Sound

Lvl 33 Bardbarian
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all! I'm working on some themes for my game and was wondering if I could get any advice for mixing and/or mastering? Here's a theme that's nearly done, it's meant for a mischievous character. Although I want the theme to be simple and kind of mysterious yet funky, I feel like it's lacking something- depth or dynamically speaking.

I still have a lot to learn and mainly mix to what my ears find somewhat okay, but I can't put my finger on what needs to be done to make it a good mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The only program I use for music production is FL Studio 20 if that helps.
Listened a couple of times. Overall it's a pretty solid mix. If I were to be nitpicky, I would say maybe lower the hi-hats down just a couple of dB (nothing drastic, like -3dB maybe?).

You could also maybe do a couple little EQ notch on the main synthy idea (the...bassline?), just to give the kick a little bit of breathing room. Maybe somewhere around 50-80hz for the low thud and around 1.2k-ish for the kicky click? Hope that makes sense.

Neat little tune! Reminds me of something from Earthbound.

RomVHS

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Listened a couple of times. Overall it's a pretty solid mix. If I were to be nitpicky, I would say maybe lower the hi-hats down just a couple of dB (nothing drastic, like -3dB maybe?).

You could also maybe do a couple little EQ notch on the main synthy idea (the...bassline?), just to give the kick a little bit of breathing room. Maybe somewhere around 50-80hz for the low thud and around 1.2k-ish for the kicky click? Hope that makes sense.

Neat little tune! Reminds me of something from Earthbound.
Thanks so much for listening and giving feedback! I'm putting your advice into the song right now. It took a little research, though I understand what you mean! :D

(I love listening to the Earthbound soundtrack- I must have subconsciously pulled the vibes from there. Thank you!)

GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't really like the dirt borders on the world map tiles so I changed them to sand and made them less yellow
trees2.PNG
I like more muted tones. Any thoughts?

@guking that roof looks good to me the only thing I see that looks off you said you changed. Are you talking about the shingles being cut off?

Tarzanthecat

(Meow)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Can some people tell me their opinion on the way that these busts look?
Is the style cute, or childish?
Does it match with the POP! Slasher Tileset that I am using?
Should I redraw them?
What are some pros and cons?
Any answers like this would help me out a ton!
:)

HawkZombie

Lord of Shadow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They look like the sprites, but the sprites don't look like them, if that makes any sense?

There's nothing inherently wrong with them (they look kinda like kids, IMO, which is fine if that's your intent). They just feel slightly out of place when put up against the POP! sprites and tileset. Their colors also look muted/faded.

Tarzanthecat

(Meow)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They look like the sprites, but the sprites don't look like them, if that makes any sense?

There's nothing inherently wrong with them (they look kinda like kids, IMO, which is fine if that's your intent). They just feel slightly out of place when put up against the POP! sprites and tileset. Their colors also look muted/faded.
That's exactly what I thought! My intent was to make the game look like it was a simple camping game, but as the story progresses, things become a bit spooky. I muted the colors because I thought that maybe the first ones I drew where too bright... but I might try brightening them up againredboy2_fix.pngd1-3.png
Maybe I could use them in a cutscene when the game starts to give off a happy mood, then take them away, the screen fading into the different looking atmosphere of the POP! tiles.

HawkZombie

Lord of Shadow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I much more prefer the brighter colors. You could mute them as the story progresses and gets darker, to signify the loss of innocence/hope of the characters. But I have NO idea what kind of story you're aiming for here XD

I think they're OK for the game. They have a unique quality about them I dig.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tarzanthecat I've merged your post with the WIP Feedback thread. Just for a little clarification:

Art, Literature and Music is for non-game dev related things that you have created.

Resource Support is for getting help making resources. This is why I moved your other thread there - you were asking about an aspect of making the busts that dealt with software use... if that makes sense?

This thread is for general "I'm making this thing, I'd like thoughts and opinions" type posts. Hope that helps!

And, as for my opinion, I really like the style. It's unique and different. There is something about it that reminds me of Gravity Falls.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

and_remember_tomorrow_on_the_plus_side.jpg

After countless hours, I finally solved the mystery of the missing puzzle pieces, but also created the mystery of the space trees... Progress? :kaoswt:
I am playing Momodora today and OMG this game is hard! o.o
Really happy to see people from Brazil doing an amazing game :3
Just noticed... I'm now called a Veteran not just Member...
Effervesce Fallacy™ - PV - C'est La Vie, for the best viewing experience, run the EXE, and adjust the audio via Options. The footsteps sounds are once again, barely audible. :frown: The PV only sounds as intended, if BGM Volume is set to 20%, or 40%, depending on your audio hardware.

Stream will be live shortly with some Gex 3! Tonight, I get revenge on the Buccaneer Program! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netispalsu