KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been working on some character portraits and this one is just... not right. Specifically the scowl just doesn't seem quite right. I think I need to practice some facial expressions. But for the purpose of my project, maybe this is okay. I think the hair might be overdone, too. I'd rather not totally restart...
View attachment 212782
It has antagonist vibes :kaoswt2:
Also I see nothing wrong with this portrait.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
The hair looks very dramatic, but also more like she is underwater. Hair adheres to gravity, too :D
And the yellow highlights clash a bit with the brown main color. I would either tone the hightlights down or make the brown color more blond.
But I do like her expression, very fierce.

So, I'm struggling with this sprite.
I thought I would rework the sideview legs, but I don't know if that made the walking smoother or not:

OLD:
mv_sprites+_old1.png

NEW:

mv_sprites+_new.png

Thoughts? I looked too long at it and now can't decide.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The hair looks very dramatic, but also more like she is underwater. Hair adheres to gravity, too :D
And the yellow highlights clash a bit with the brown main color. I would either tone the hightlights down or make the brown color more blond.
But I do like her expression, very fierce.

I thought I would rework the sideview legs, but I don't know if that made the walking smoother or not:

OLD:
View attachment 212784

NEW:

View attachment 212785

Since it's a female character, the new one looks better. But I have to say the changes are so minors that you almost can't see it. I don't think the player would mind whatever if the old or the new is chosen.

But hey, in my opinion by checking their difference, I would say the new one. :kaohi:

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Energy is swirling around her, so the hair is being lifted. Her hair is dark brown with streaks of gold. Though I suppose I should try to make that more clear.

Already I've started redrawing it, haha! I just couldn't take it anymore. The thing is, I already spent a lot of time on that. Though, if it is going to bother me so much, I figured it is best to bite the bullet and redo it.

Have you put it in the engine and walked around with it? Or animated it photoshop or something? I see the gait is slightly more exaggerated. I would certainly assume that made the walking clearer.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sooo, I drew some more portraits... I love portraits, can you tell? :kaoluv:

sisters_portraits.png

I had some trouble, 'cuz my palette is basically GB Pocket palette (black, white, and two greys). Abby and Cleo on the bottom row have funny lookin' ears, but I don't know yet what to do with them. :kaoswt: Also they supposed to be four sisters, altho I wuz not trying to make any special family resemblance or anythin'. Just a story point, I guess! What do y'all think?

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So y'all! I'm makin' my Alice's 8-bit Gothic tileset (EXPECT IT!) and I'm workin' on some trees... Now I'm kinda debating, should I draw them with a black border around the foliage or not? Imma show you what I mean. :kaohi:

alice_copse.png

alice_copse_border.png

So the topmost image was my initial vision... Like, I wanted foliage without a black border 'round the whole. But then I'm also kinda into my ground colour (teal), and I don't know, does the foliage without the black border blend too much wid the ground? The bottom image is the foliage wid a border, but not sure I like that quite as much? :kaoswt:

GIMME YO OPINIONS! Pleese? :kaoluv:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok you guys, thanks for your time and I appreciate y'all, don't ever doubt it! :kaoluv: I think I solved my problem tho!

alice_copsev3.png

I done away with the black border, 'CEPT I added it to the bottom of the foliage, where there wasn't none to start with! Errything 'cept my love life looking so harmonious right now! :kaoluv::kaoswt2:

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@alice_gristle your portraits are truly amazing, althought i feel like the trees are kinda lacking, mostly because they don't give me the feel that they are actually trees, mostly because it lacks some brown and there's no trunk to be seen.
Hope i helped at least a little bit but then again it's your choice in how you shape them.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Johnny_Ray, thanks a bunch, sweetie! And yeah I get whatcho sayin' about the trees, Imma work on them I promise! :kaoswt:

I don't wanna use brown tho, so Imma stick to green and see what I can do... I'll look into separating the trunks a bit more, the feel I was goin' for was a foreboding, impenetrable thicket, seeping with dampness and shrouded in darkness! Buuuut, gonna work on that... :kaocry:

EDIT:

@Johnny_Ray look, look! I bettered them trees! What d'ya think? I mean, still no brown, but I made the trunks more distinct at least? Also a little bushier foliage, tho that probs doesn't show.

alice_gothicwoods.png

Last edited:

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@alice_gristle sorry for late reply, i didn't notice the ping.
I certainly like the trunks better now since it's easier to identify them rather than the previous version.
I suggest you add some black between the leaves and the trunk where they meet so there's more distinction between them.

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm in the middle of remaking some of my UI components to make them more readable/easier to understand, right now i'm designing the "Combat" section of it but my only fear is that it may not feel in contact with the rest of the boxes that are in the inventory and such.
But let's not make that the only topic of this discussion, i'm open to any other part of the UI that may not be 100% readable
Game_Mockup11.png

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Johnny_Ray, I said it before, but I think you done lovely job on it! :kaoluv: When you say "Combat" section, d'you mean that box next to the character box that has six empty slots in it? 'Cuz that looks just fitting to me, no problem there!

The only thing I might fiddle with is maybe the ornate borders? I mean, I love them, they look gorgeous, but are they maybe a li'l too busy? Like, overdone and so? I'm totally not sure about this, but you might try doin' an alt version with more down-to-earth borders, see if you like that? Only if you have time and interest, 'course! :kaoswt2:

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@alice_gristle yes, i see you got what i meant by "Combat" section, two things i'm not sure about are do you mean the ornate borders inside the "Combat" Section seem busy or all of the boxes in general?

And i'm also not sure what do you mean by a down-to-earth border but my guess would be that you are referring to the yellow gems that can stand out a little much although my intention is that without them the design may feel a little too simple, what i could try if you are only referring to the "Combat" Section is make the unselected elements have greyed out gems, but as always i'm open to suggestions and thanks for the feedback!

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Johnny_Ray, oh, all the boxes! I mean the borders in general. And I don't mean so much the gems as the overall amount of frill... Like I said, I love it, and I'm not sure it's even a good idea to try and change it, but I'd be interested in what you wud cook up if you did a more, umm, sedate kinda design?

Kinda like, oh, Imma show you:

alice_border1.pngalice_border2.png

Like, the design on the left is like, REALLY basic, almost can't get more basic. Like, don't go that far. :kaoswt2: But that's really sedate, no frills, not busy at all. Like, minimalistic. BUT, the design on the right is more like what I mean: a bit more that's happening, but still not a lot of frill, not busy. Y'know?

I guess it's just more like, you seem like a deft hand at makin' this stuff, so I was just wondering what you'd make if it were more down-to-earth. :kaoswt:

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@alice_gristle i think this isn't exactly what you wanted? maybe, but here are some border designs i did, excluding No.7 that's for the sake of comparison
Screenshot_1.png
i also want to thank you for making me do a little more research on ornated borders, i personally like No. 5

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been working on some character portraits and this one is just... not right. Specifically the scowl just doesn't seem quite right. I think I need to practice some facial expressions. But for the purpose of my project, maybe this is okay. I think the hair might be overdone, too. I'd rather not totally restart...
View attachment 212782

Finally got around to trying to rework this character portrait. Still WIP, still not quite right, but I think this time it is going a lot better.
Character WIP.jpg

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Firefly130984 wrote on WallCat's profile.
Hello, I would try to beta test your game.
Parallel I would write a guide.
I am already planning some games to make in Unite... I hope it gets a solid release date soon!
Remember to do even 0,01% progress on your game today! You can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sululu