The Resource WIP Thread 3

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's the width. Everything is too narrow and so it's making her head feel squashed and too tall. From the side heads are actually fairly round especially when a person is young. I don't know if the face should be any wider but she should definitely have more to the back of her head.

2. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Waiting for Replies Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Based on your advice, I've thrown together a sprite with the adjustments made.
    Left is old, right is new.

Sprite_Player_09_Testing_ZOOM_04_[f8].png

What do you think? The shading isn't final, and I still don't like the chin/lip area, but at least she looks more normal.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Much better, plus she looks cuter.

4. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [Video link removed]

I'll clean things up some more. (I have to redo 32 sprites, what have I done!?) Thanks for the fast feedback. : )

Edit: I've been playing with the hair a bit, and I'm finally semi-satisfied with the current iteration. Let me know what you think.

Sprite_Player_09_Testing_ZOOM_05_[f8].png

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  5. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    X3 did some more work some times, decided to go in a different more Zelda-esque direction with the trees. Im not so sure about the dark grass ive gone though. What do you all think, especially about the trees? Weird? Good weird? Bad Weird?. :) See anything off? Any feed back appreciated. Thanks in advance! Capture2.PNG

Marquise* and Caitlin like this.
  6. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Definitely weird, but a good weird, I think. I don't care for the dark grass you've made though, the contrast is too high and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The trees remind me of artichokes. Yum.

PixelHeart likes this.
  7. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like the trees. I think the base needs a little work, the shadows are making the roots look disconnected from the ground. The grass and ground have just the right amount of texture. The tall grass is much too dark, I don't think it should have any black in it at all. I think the lightest shade should be at least as light as the main color of the normal grass. You've got a little pillow shading on the hollow log, be careful of that, it's easy to do when you don't have a well defined light source. Overall it's a very cute and cohesive style, I like it quite a bit.

8. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've finally begun work on the first of many diagonal sprites. I'm not satisfied with the hair or arms, and I think the clothing needs work, as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------VVVVV
    Sprite_Player_09_Testing_ZOOM_06.png

To compare, I've also placed the old profile-view sprite, the new profile-view sprite, and the rear-view sprite- whose walking animation I still don't like- in the image. Any feedback, as usual, is immensely appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  9. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think you've confused yourself by having too many colors. Not that it's too many to have in the end, just that it's not something you want to add in until you're happy with things look before you blend it out. Some of your problem with the back view is the undefined light source. Right now it just doesn't make sense unless you have different sections of the hair lit by different sources, and a part of your mind knows it and so it is dissatisfied. I've done an edit to show a possible way of shading the hair. Unless her hair is meant to look stringy you should probably stop trying to define the strands. Think of hair more like water, it moves like a fluid whole more than it breaks apart. I've also added a little bit of a curve to the bottom of the cuffs and skirt to give it some depth. I don't quite understand what you're trying to do with the shadow under the hands. Whatever it is, it should be consistent with all views.

girl.png

10. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'll start testing out the adjustments. In the meantime, do you have any critiques for the diagonal sprite's proportions?

11. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Diagonal is surprisingly hard. The only thing that stands out is that you wouldn't see her eyes from that angle, just cheek and temple.

12. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Unfortunately, my charger just broke, and my laptop is now out of power with all my my files on it. Regardless, Sharm, I'd like to thank you for your help during this process. I don't have any real money to speak of, but I'd like to put your username in the credits of my game when it's finished, if that's okay with you.

13. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aw, that's too bad. I've been there too often. I'd be honored but you don't have to do anything. I enjoy helping.

14. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well now I have to add your name, just to spite you. ;)

When I made the diagonal sprite, I used averaging to get the proportions. For the hair, I added the width in pixels of the right and up sprites' hair, and divided by two. I do agree though, the eye looks weird there. I have a way to fix it, once I'm operational again, though.

15. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just color over it with the darker skin shade. The portion of the face showing seems correct, it's just that at that angle the sides of the face block the eye.

16. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I managed to jury-rig a charger... How's this? (I completely removed hair shading for the moment.)

Sprite_Player_09_Testing_ZOOM_07.png

Edit: Jury-rig broke. Aw well, it was good while it lasted.

Edit 2: I tried to use my phone to charge the laptop. It worked... The phone was charged instead of the laptop. >_<

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  17. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, don't jury-rig computer power! It's super easy to really mess up a computer that way. You'll have to buy a new power supply with the same output as the one that's broken. If it's not the same, even if it "works" it can burn out parts of the laptop and that would be much more expensive to fix.

That looks better. I look forward to seeing how everything looks when it's all fixed up. Don't worry about getting it done quickly, I know you're without your computer for a bit.

18. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I've burned the motherboard jury-rigging power before, but I've got an electrician {read: Dad} taking a look at it. Apparently I tripped on it at some point and tore it on the inside; this causes sparking and other problems.

I've got a much more stable jury-rig now, so I can try to get some work done.

I'll edit this post when I have something worth showing.

Edit: I've worked on the hair for the rear and diagonal-facing sprites, basing it on your example. Hopefully this is better, I tried to incorporate a bit more texture without making it unrealistic. Please, tell me what you think!

Edit 2: I've created two more diagonal sprites: a mirror of the previous, slightly edited in the hair, which isn't symmetrical, and a sad attempt at a down-left sprite, whom I have drawn as annoyed. No character enjoys being drawn poorly, you see.

Sprite_Player_11_Testing_ZOOM_07.png

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  19. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Goku's new form and a few other sprites.
    upload_2017-10-7_22-36-59.png

20. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Rukiki, there's nothing much I can say here; it looks fantastic to me.

I've redone the forward-facing diagonal sprite so it's actually not a joke now, haha. Any critique on any of the sprites is appreciated, as always.

Sprite_Player_10_Testing_ZOOM_10.png

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017