Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses

Rootstitlescreen2.png

So myself, Navitoro/Holly McCrea and Scott F. Thompson made an rpg maker game in 48 hrs X.x This was for Super Love Jam, a game jam specifically trying to bring out more LGBT representation, and this specific one was about sexual identity, gender norms and the relationships we create based on those identities.

Writer: @navitoro /Holly McCrea

Music: Scott F. Thompson 
Art, programming, chief cat wrangler > Me! (Emily Lampson)

Screenshot script credit to @Tsukihime

New version includes:

-Evolution mechanic

-New cutscenes

-New area

-New music 

-New dialogue

The game!: 

https://hellpug.itch.io/the-roots-betwixt

The jam page!:

https://itch.io/jam/super-love-jam-2016

About

The Roots Betwixt is about the connections made in life demonstrated through nature.  Go on a journey to discover....and make a choice.

Screenshots

Map001.pngMap003.png

Map005.png

Forinstagram.png

Last edited by a moderator:

read

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really love the tileset in that picture, it looks simple but beautiful.

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
Thank you! 

I'm almost done doing bug fixes, there will be a new version up soon!

Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
I need to see more screenshots... :)

But It sounds a good game.

Junebug

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I played through this last night, and I thought it was neat. There wasn't a lot in this game, but the music set a great tone. I'm wondering if there were multiple secret endings. I only found 2 nutrients and I never figured out what they were for.

Talking about the theme here. Possible spoilers:

I didn't fully understand the message. I'm guessing turning into trees is a metaphor about how accepting oneself as gay/transgender/etc is a big change in one's life. It might seem like a scary idea from the start. Would you really want to give up what you have right now for a different life? But ultimately being true to yourself is the only way to be happy, regardless of what else you have to sacrifice. I dunno, just grasping at straws here.

Also, I tried to explore what would happen in the different dialogue paths. Refusing to join the other character seemed to leave me wandering around the map without getting an "ending". Did I fail to trigger the next event? Was it a bug? An intentional commentary about how forgoing companionship leaves you aimless and unfulfilled in life?

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
The final version will have more endings. It is intended to be very short though.

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
@JunebugSorry I just saw the spoiler tag stuff you wrote! The wandering was the original intention if you did not get enough nutrients (nutrients are tied to the ending you will get). However, I am changing it as it leaves the player thinking the game is broken. New version will have a cutscene for that as well as other neat additions.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hellpug, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to add something, simply edit your post and add the additional comments.

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
@ksjp174. Do NOT post disruptively. This includes, but is not limited to, double posting (posting directly underneath yourself, this is only allowed if 72 hours have passed since your last post), offtopic posts, spamming (which can include one-liners or one-word posts), necroposting (posting in a thread that has been dead for over 30 day), thread hijacking (posting in another person's thread with your own questions/resources etc. that leads the focus away from the OP and onto you), or removing your own posts (so that the thread becomes unreadable).

It says I can do this if it has been more than 3 days, which it has 

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
Updated! This version has bug fixes as well as new features:

-Evolution mechanic

-New cutscenes

-New area

-New music

-New dialogue

Enjoy!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I forget how tiny and fun working in 16x16 is (or with 18x18 if ya counting the white outline LOL) and before you ask Yes. Yes this is an appropriate ratio of drinks to all the other stuff. :popcorn:
f37ac128dedc8a53af7deb2b12e8ea81becf6e46.png
Phew, sleep all day, awake all night. I don't know what to draw tonight!

Does that count as poetry? ..Is there a super fast way to test my creations in RPG Maker? Has anyone played the new Pokémon games? I'm itching to buy it but I don't think my husband will want me to after he finds out how much I spent on Christmas!
When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.
Finally, I have graduated from college and now I can put a lot more work into my game, after having not worked on it for the better part of a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRADRIEN