The Royal Petals of Greenrose (R.P.G.) Alpha 3+

marcelox

Painfully Clueless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi,

Wife and I have been working our butts off since the launch of MV (never used RPG Maker before) and I am done with an enhanced version of the third alpha of The Royal Petals of Greenrose (R.P.G.)

I made an android and web version, but those run horribly (one requires a strong cellphone/tablet to run at 60 FPS) and the web version is almost unplayable due to the constant loading (using the plug-in to load it all at once to reduce this made a never-ending Now Loading screen, so that didn't fix it.) So here is the PC version, if any are interested in trying it out:

http://www.greenrose.begeeked.com/The Royal Petals of Greenrose (Alpha 3+).exe Don't use the web version, it's not updated nor does it work as well as the PC version.

There are no towns/castles built yet, only the first continent is accessible and the battle coliseum is not a refection of how towns will look when we're done with this game, it was just put together quickly to have a place for the coliseum (originally it was just an NPC in the overworld, so I made a small area to house it/him.)

Also, the intro is rather long, so skip if it you don't want to spend 5 minutes reading. Any feedback (especially negative feedback) is very welcome and would help us improve things for the beta of the game that's coming in a year or so. Game uses all 6 buttons, btw. (Also may have to not use 720 anymore since it makes android ports work horribly, but the alpha will stay 720.) The alpha will take 2-3 hours to play through.

Here's the story and whatnot:

Four friends (2 of which are royalty) are forced to check on the water crystal since the scholars have discovered something wrong. They have to find out if the crystal is safe (full game will involve 4 additional crystals.) They will meet many additional characters along the way (the alpha only has 1 extra character, the final will have 20~) and ummm, that's it. If I say anything else, it would be a spoiler. There are built-in profiles for the characters in the game, so no point in posting them here and I have made a FAQ http://greenrose.begeeked.com/FAQ.txt that can be used to guide you through the alpha til completion.

There are 2 ways to go about this alpha, you can either keep the 5th character that joins the party until you are almost done with the alpha. or you can get rid of the 5th person as soon as they join and make the game more challenging for you. The final boss has 2 versions, normal and expert. Normal is if you breezed through the alpha and aren't that strong. Expert is if you finished the battle coliseum and geared everyone with all the lvl20 gear and that is around lvl25~ (which you get from battle coliseum drops only plus you can take a handful those off the 5th character and give them to anyone else in your party, before she leaves your party.)

The point of this game is to make an entry level R.P.G. so it's target audience are those that never played (or never finished) a R.P.G. before so the difficulty is intentionally lower than most R.P.G.s. For R.P.G. veterans the game is full of humor to keep you interested (however, the dialogue is limited in this alpha, so there's isn't really any humor in the game yet, maybe a little humor snuck in.  ;)   ) btw, the town names are temporary, the real names are still being worked on.

Here are some screenshots:

The Royal Petals of Greenrose (Alpha 3+) - 01.png

The Royal Petals of Greenrose (Alpha 3+) - 02.png

The Royal Petals of Greenrose (Alpha 3+) - 03.png

The Royal Petals of Greenrose (Alpha 3+) - 04.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
I gave your demo a try, but I couldn't push myself to finish it.

Here's a list of my impressions:

-the skippable story synopsis you gave in the start is too much of a info dump. It'd be better if you take the information there and move it into the actual game. This can take the form of dialogue between the characters for example.

-the mapping for the world map looks way too simple, and this issue is emphasized by the lack of other locations at the moment. I'd highly recommend adding more details to the world map.

-I also felt the game can use a better sense of direction on what/where I need to do/go next. I found myself mostly running around in the world map not knowing what I'm doing. Even if I know the goal, I don't know where i'm going, and (going back to the previous point), the mapping of the world map really makes it a tedious experience. 

-from the parts I did play, I felt the characters lack distinct personalities. For me, part of the motivations for playing rpg game is the characters' story. I want to be able to relate to the characters travelling with me.

-mechanism wise, everythign is rather generic. nothing that stands out to make this game unique that I can see.

Overall, it's a good attempt for someone who's never used rpg maker before, and I understand this game is still in alpha so things are likely to get better. It just felt that... as it stands right now, there're a couple of glaring issues that prevents it from being enjoyable. 

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That's adorable that you and your wife are working on this together. I think fish had some really great feedback for you guys and I'm looking forward to seeing how your game changes after implementing it :)

marcelox

Painfully Clueless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I gave your demo a try, but I couldn't push myself to finish it.

Here's a list of my impressions:

-the skippable story synopsis you gave in the start is too much of a info dump. It'd be better if you take the information there and move it into the actual game. This can take the form of dialogue between the characters for example.

-the mapping for the world map looks way too simple, and this issue is emphasized by the lack of other locations at the moment. I'd highly recommend adding more details to the world map.

-I also felt the game can use a better sense of direction on what/where I need to do/go next. I found myself mostly running around in the world map not knowing what I'm doing. Even if I know the goal, I don't know where i'm going, and (going back to the previous point), the mapping of the world map really makes it a tedious experience. 

-from the parts I did play, I felt the characters lack distinct personalities. For me, part of the motivations for playing rpg game is the characters' story. I want to be able to relate to the characters travelling with me.

-mechanism wise, everythign is rather generic. nothing that stands out to make this game unique that I can see.

Overall, it's a good attempt for someone who's never used rpg maker before, and I understand this game is still in alpha so things are likely to get better. It just felt that... as it stands right now, there're a couple of glaring issues that prevents it from being enjoyable. 
Hi Fish, thank you for trying our very early alpha. For me to get a better understanding of your advice, I need to know how far along you got in it. I'll list off most events in the order of when they occur, so I can see how far along you got in the alpha so I know where they advice applies. Also, I think you missed the FAQ that was in the original post, cause I see that you said you spend some time not knowing what to do, I did the FAQ since we didn't have towns ready so all the story had to be force feed in the intro, plus the dialogue that explained what to do was held back too. About the mechanics, the game is supposed to be an introductory RPG for those who aren't familiar with RPGs, so the mechanics cant be too complicated or it goes against it's goal. We added summons and TP abilities to go along with magic for the starter classes.

Anyway, back to finding out how far along you got, let me know which part you stopped playing, I'll list them in the normal order:

Get the Fresh Orange Key Item?

Get the Canoe key item?

Get the 5th character?

Finish the sunken Water Temple?

Get all/some of the Greenrose gear/weapons?

Defeat the Minotaur in the cave?

Get and use the ??? Item?

Defeat the Test Battle?

Finish the Battle Coliseum? (Did you battle the final boss with all the custom effects? Friends feedback so far says this was their favorite battle in the game.)

Get 1 or 2 of the new titles?

Get all/some of the scholar gear/weapon with the bonuses?

Get the Diamond Necklace?

Get to the rainy part with the storm battle?

Get the revenge for Raizelle's storyline?

Unlock all the rewards from the level up system?

Defeated the normal/expert version of the tower boss?

See the 4 rafts cutscene?

Thanks again, this will let me know how far you got so I can see how much you saw so I know where your advice applies.

Edit: Can you explain the "the mapping of the world map really makes it a tedious experience" part? I ask cause I made the world map really small and I added the mount system to travel faster and I added a few of those signs that tell you what is in what direction, most feedback I got from friends that played it was that the world map was too small, too easy to get from one place to another, so there's some confusion there as to what you mean.

fish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
Not very far. I was lost after the temple exploded. I kept on running around in the world map, not knowing where to go next until I eventually gave up.

I did get to an orange tree and met the inn keeper (not sure if this is the key item you're talking about.)

I didn't read the FAQ section on purpose because imo, the game itself should do the job of presenting the story and mechanism. I find it VERY awkward having to read instruction/tips/story synopsis elsewhere before starting the actual game, so I like to judge how well the game presents information based on the game's actual presentation itself. Again, I think it'd be better if you can put all that info into the actual game, perhaps in the form of an item that brings up a tutorial screen, a trainer NPC that teaches you about the mechanism, or something as simple as a quest log that reminds the player of what exactly needs to be done (You can take a look at Yanfly's script for quest log. This will help tremendously imo). Afterall, for an RPG game, it might not be a great idea to tell the player to go read something first before starting the game. That'd be another immersion-breaking factor.

What I meant by  "the mapping of the world map really makes it a tedious experience" was that, on top of running around aimlessly, I constantly backtracked to where I've already been to see if I missed anything, and seeing the repetitive visuals along the way was rather demotivating. By mapping, I don't mean the size of the map or the layout of paths, I meant the visual design of the map, like decorations and what not. Btw, I like the idea of the mount, but why not just allow the player to sprint on the world map? It'd achieve the same thing, without the need to open up the menu screen to toggle the mount.

I guess, my general point is, if you intend to give the player tips/instructions, it should be made (and presented clearly) in-game. 

Let me know if you'd still like me to elaborate on some of these points. Good luck with your development!

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've played the demo and defeated the normal version of the tower boss. I did not bother with expert version or coliseum (since I didn't find the Green Rose escutcheon anyway).

Well, what can I say, I like how the game does not take itself seriously in pretty much all aspects (with the exception of the intro, no idea why that part is so serious compared to the rest), when the clown charged me 200 rather than 50, I actually laughed. This puts me in a rather weird situation of feeling uncomfortable giving you feedback if "nitpicking" may go against the not-serious nature of the game, but oh well, here goes nothing. :p

1) The Bestiary does not work.

2) The 3 Angels encounter in the map is too dangerous at level 1, with bad luck, they can instantly wipe the whole party with no counter.

3) All characters have the same base stats, maybe you could consider differentiating a bit. Seeing the knight with the same HP and MP of the wizard seems weird or lazy :p

4) Serina is too strong and you can strip her naked of her (uber) equipment before she leaves. She effectively trivializes everything, bosses included. You may wanna consider fixing her equipment and nerfing her level to be on par with the other characters.

5) The Coliseum does not even seem to be worth doing at all unless you have the Greenrose Escutcheon (and I have no idea if it's implemented yet, but I imagine it will be in future builds).

6) The 4 red orcs are too weak. I killed them in one turn before they managed to lay a finger on me. Considering how much exp they give and how supposedly they're tied to one of your character's past events, you may wanna make the fight a little more memorable. Especially raising their HP a lot so they can survive more than one turn.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Real-time thoughts and notes as I go through this game!

- Ahh fullscreen! I like the keyboard config options. But no option to get rid of fullscreen. So I just F4'd. If you have newbies playing this game, maybe make that more obvious =D

- I didn't know what the Introduction would entail so I watched it. Wall of text! From what I read, it was nice and interesting, but I think there's too much text for a new player to read through all of it consistently.. I think it would be more interesting to include this information in another way. "Show don't tell."

- Oh, explanation about fullscreen! That's good.

- Mmk the controls - too much information again. What I like to do is introduce the controls whenever they become relevant.

Yay time to play!

- Idea for menu: Include the hotkey in the menu screen for those relevant items, such as Mount, because I forgot what it was already

- I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing... The king's text went too quickly for me (I'm on a 144hz monitor, there's a frame bug unless you have a fps limit plugin)

- "It's probably best if you head toward the Water Temple." Hahaha it read my mind. Wait, why am I going to the Water Temple?

- Omgosh the bridge! Poor girl.

- Gimme dat canoe!

- Yay found the temple! And accidentally exited. Okay back in!

- Oh lol! This isn't the temple. It's the Battle Coliseum. Thanks Guard!

- Walking around.... Green Castle! Okay, not allowed here. Purple Castle! No women allowed?!

- Port's closed...

- Mmm fresh orange.

- Finished a battle with wasps and suddenly there's a cat freakin the f*** out on the map. Holy crap! Hahahahaha. I think this has to do with the frames bug. It's literally just darting every which way.

- Oasis tile!... Is not the Temple. But everything's been restored so that's good!

- City of Scholars! Oh noes it's been flooded.

- Ended a battle with an Angel and there's another spasm-cat! Do they spawn when you finish battles? How strange. 

- Another cat! What is this!

- I just remembered the mention of a world map during the controls information. But I can't remember the hotkey. It isn't in the menu or the keyboard configuration.

- Omgosh I can't find this water temple. I'm guessing I need the canoe to get to the temple, and I need to find a way to get to the canoe. I refuse to read any help!

- Raizelle got poisoned and I didn't realize it would continue while on the map. Holy crap she's almost dead XD

- I FIGURED IT OUT! HOORAY! Thanks Clown.

- Need more money...

- Got it! Let's go get that canoe!

- Water Pixies are adorable, but do they have to be on every tile by these chests? lol. Even trying to walk away its difficult and the timer keeps going down T_T

- So I grabbed Serina before going inside the water swirl, but she makes her "I guess I'll join you" dialogue when we get into the cave instead :o

- A ??? wisp appeared as a battle but in the corner of the screen. Not sure if intentional. Also has random different bgm.

- Purple bull sprite is spazzing out! Frame issue again

- Neat boss idea though =]

- Really nice maze though. I'm so relieved it isn't timed.

- Helkano's speech repeats if you talk to him a 2nd time

- I suppose I don't know what to do at this point. Find something shiny for him? I unequipped Serina's bracelet but he won't take it.

- I might stop playing for now. Kinda stuck and the random battles are hitting me where it hurts.
Overall it was pretty okay. I didn't hate playing it, I had some fun roaming around trying to figure out what to do next. Clocked in at 2:10:13 in my save file. There were some odd bugs here and there, like the cat that would spawn and not leave me alone, as if I had fish in my pocket.

At the beginning, I assumed the game would be more story driven since you had all that backstory for those characters. But the game itself... wasn't. I was a little disappointed the game wasn't that kind of RPG. With cutscenes and character development and whatnot. It was silly and cute though - which isn't a bad thing. By the end of it, I was holding down [Enter] to get through battles quickly by spam-attacking. I was grateful for that as there were a lot of random encounters. I think you could have made the dungeons more interesting, but they got the job done =]

Overall! I like your ideas. I wish it were more RPG-y and less sill-y, but that's the style you went for and I can't take points off for it not being my cup of tea. Work on your maps - make them more interesting. If I'm going to be roaming around the overworld, or if I'm going to be lost in the maze, might as well make it nice to look at.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Has promise! Feels like a Final Fantasy fangame otherwise, especially with crystals being part of the story so try to be original there.  :)

In fact, I think that if humor is what you want to go for, maybe parody Final Fantasy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

As for the Coronavirus? Well: "People that spend their life avoiding death are already dead (they're also rich, and I like to spend my life with their money.)"
- R. Sanchez, "Edge of Tomorty: Rick, Die, Repeat"
making pierogi and corrupting my game files wbu
Trying to regain my will to work on maps T_T
I miss working in rpgmaker but I can only do one thing at a time. Maybe after drawing lessons I can come back.
Ever have a day like... you play minesweeper and your very first click is always a mine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aerobesk