RMMV The Roze Case

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by MAY3of4, Jul 2, 2018.

1. MAY3of4

MAY3of4 Game Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Roze Case
    promo_cover.jpg
    This is a personal project I've been working on over the past 2 years. What started off as a short murder mystery demo grew into a 2-3 hour first chapter of something much bigger than I set out to do. So if you enjoy searching for clues, interviewing suspects, solving puzzles, and catching a murderer as much as I do, look no further. It's time to polish that magnifying glass and solve the Roze Case!​

icon_notebook.png
    DETAILS
    - Game Title: The Roze Case, Part 1
    - Author: Michelle Bond
    - Genre: Adventure, Visual Novel
    - Engine used: RPG Maker MV 1.5.1
    - Platform: Windows
    - Language: English
    - Length: 2-3 hours
    - Controls: WASD keys for movement & Mouse clicks for interacting

icon_evidence.png
    SYNOPSIS
    This is a non horror murder mystery game, where players have control over how they want to investigate and solve the Case. There are suspects to question, clues to gather, puzzles to solve, and a murderer to catch!

icon_journalpages.png
    STORY
    Vyne has always wanted to be a Detective for the Protectorate her whole life, but she never imagined her first Case would be anything like this. With the help of her new partner, Paalm, they must put their skills to the test by searching for clues, uncovering the truth, and solve the murder of a young woman at her birthday party. For hundreds of years the Protectorate has been the Guardian of Justice and kept the Prime Timeline from fracturing into Chaos. Now it’s up to the two rookies to piece together the truth and solve The Roze Case before it grows too late.

icon_bag.png
    CHARACTERS
    Dect_Vyne_2.png
    Vyne - Eager to prove herself, Vyne has wanted to join the Protectorate her whole life. She has studied hard and hopes to pass the Final Exam this year to become a Junior Detective.
    Dect_Paalm_4.png
    Paalm - Born to privilege, Paalm is sick of the Noble pampered life. His quick wit and determination have led him on the path to join the Protectorate this year.

icon_crystal.png
    SCREENSHOTS
    Help Vyne pass her Final Exam to become a Detective!
    TheRozeCase_01.jpg
    Interview suspects and gather witness statements!
    TheRozeCase_02.jpg
    Record information and notes you find in your Notebook!
    TheRozeCase_03.jpg
    Solve puzzles verify information from suspects!
    TheRozeCase_04.jpg
    Explore the Estate and search for clues to solve the Case!
    TheRozeCase_05.jpg

icon_report.png
    DOWNLOAD LINK 1.1.2
    https://may3of4.itch.io/the-roze-case

---1.1.2 Patch Notes---​
    -update: added prompt to check Notebook before being questioned in Puzzle Areas
    -performance: reworked the code for the Estate for smoother gameplay
    -bug fix: fixed a few typos in dialog
    -bug fix: fixed the cat from walking through walls
    -bug fix: fixed Captain Yeiw's sprite sheet control
    -bug fix: fixed Notebook tabs from displaying unintentionally
    ---1.1.1 Patch Notes---​
    -update: added prompt to show how to open the notebook etc
    -update: added door sound effects and adjusted some move events to look better in the Prolog
    -performance: reworked the code for some puzzle areas for smoother gameplay
    -bug fix: fixed a few typos in dialog
    ---1.1.0 Patch Notes---​
    -new feature: help find clues using time gem if stuck
    -new feature: updated effect animations to be custom instead of default
    -new feature: added a save command at the end of game to watch credits again
    -performance: new events to help check progress
    -bug fix: horse no longer escapes stall
    -bug fix: if you save in the stable loft, and return to game, the background now displays properly
    ---1.0.0 Patch Notes---​
    -Game Released

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    RetroExcellent, XdnaX, Leanne and 4 others like this.
  2. Nechbad

Nechbad Game Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had the chance to play test this game early on and I had a blast playing through it!

I don't usually play VN or mystery style games, most of the time opting for the more traditional rpg's. However, playing this demo I quickly became immersed in the world and the case at hand. The hook of the story and early world building pulled me in wanting to know more and trying to piece together the clues of what happened kept me on my toes and engaged.

The mix of stock assets combined with custom art assets creates a unique blend that was visually appealing. The hand painted environment is gorgeous and often times I found myself exploring every inch of the map, taking in the great look and scouring for any little clue I may have missed. The characters all felt well written and relatable, reacting in realistic ways to the situation presented in the story.

It should also be noted that a lot of work went into customizing the menus and clue scenes and I think they came out looking fantastic. Being able to see the different case files and put together sheets of information as I progressed felt really satisfying and kept me deducing and pondering as I tried to figure out who the culprit was.

I would definitely recommend everyone to play through this as it doesn't take too long to complete and is really well made for a first demo. I can't wait to see what comes next and how the over arching plot develops. Awesome job Michelle!

Frogboy and MAY3of4 like this.
  3. Gianmher

Gianmher Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Solved. Your tiles and pictures looks great; even the whole story structure

Nechbad, Frogboy and MAY3of4 like this.
  4. MAY3of4

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nechbad Thank you so much for playing my game! Your help debugging the alpha version was a huge factor in getting this game playable, and your advice over the years has been an invaluable resource in development. I am so grateful for your help and support! Thanks again!

@Gianmher I'm so glad you solved the Case and thank you for the compliments! If you have any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them. I am always looking for ways to improve my game.
    ------------------------------------
    Patch Update!
    I'm very excited to announce a new feature for The Roze Case! Early feedback I received mentioned it was difficult to find some well hidden clues in areas, so there is now a way to use the Gem Shard to locate nearby clues! Simply access the GemShard as you would normally by clicking on it. There is now an option to "Use Gem Shard to locate clues" and by clicking it players will now see nearby important clues sparkle. (see screenshot below)
    TheRozeCase_06.jpg
    There were other additions like new custom effect animations, and a new save command prompted at the end of the game to see credits again or help time speed runs, a few performance updates, bug fixes including rescuing escaped horses and broken stable lofts! (see download link for complete list)
    That's all for this update, if there are any other bugs or feature requests please don't hesitate to comment, and as always I'd love to hear back from those Detectives who managed to solve the Roze Case!
    Until next time, "May Justice Never Be Undone!"​

Nechbad likes this.
  5. MAY3of4

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Small Update!
    I recently created a game page for this project on itch.io so feel free to use the link below to check it out and get the most current version of The Roze Case there from now on!
    https://may3of4.itch.io/the-roze-case
    As always, critiques and feedback are welcome!

6. Rookaste

Rookaste Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Hi, sorry for my bad english, and sorry (maybe) for my bad review but I really have to write about the game

First, the plot is really good, a school, a sudden problem, time warp... It's really cool and new.

I really enjoyed the game, took about 8 hours to clear it but

I know it's a first game, and it's for the plot, but it's like playing a "point & click" where the game really help you to clear the game. I would love to see a part 2 with a real mystery case, where you really have to think about who, why etc... Something less easy and obvious (even if it's good). For the choice of the murderer, well.. I guess the first one if the most obvious one? Jealous one, angry one, ex boyfriend, all the reason to kill her, so I'm asking myself why i've done investigation for like 7 hours even if I enjoyed it :). And the proof system, the thing you have to complete was really a good idea and cool but the power of paalm killed it, like if he used it at first and in every case we could know who was the murderer more easely.

Sorry about all this, I just like to speak about what I like/dislike and that not organized aha, but you really do have potential with this game, i'm sure you can do a really good part 2 with a bit more of difficulty and mystery !

Thanks for reading

(I really didn't want to criticize the game but I really liked it and wanted to speak about the part that not convinced me)

MAY3of4 likes this.
  7. MAY3of4

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rookaste This is exactly the kind of review / feedback I am looking for! I will definitely take your comments into consideration and hopefully add more mystery to the next case. I worried this case was a bit too easy / obvious but I wasn't sure, so your critique confirms my suspicions. As a note other play testers I've talked to said they only took 2-3 hours to complete it, so I am very honored you stuck with it for 8 hours! If you don't mind me asking, were there parts that you felt took way too long or you were lost?
    I debated who to choose to make the murderer for the first Timeline, I had hoped to keep people guessing but early feedback as shown most people knew who it was pretty easily. That being said, I do have plans for the rest of this case that should add a more sinister world-building mystery, if enough people are interested in seeing more from this case.
    For your story / plot questions see spoiler below for some commentary on that.
    The plot point you pointed out: that perhaps Paalm should have used his Time Affinity power earlier, can be explained a bit if you are interested. First, using his power is completely illegal and he is risking getting timestamped himself if he attempts it around witnesses. Second, he is untrained and barely has control over it. He could have just as easily ripped both himself and Vyne outside the Prime Timeline permanently by accident. I wanted it to feel like he really had no choice but to make an attempt to give them both more time to complete the Case. There are other rules about the limit of his power and the consequences for using it, which I hope to explore in the future parts for this case. However I am glad you mentioned your reservation about his abilities and hopefully I can rework a few things to make the ending stronger.
    Again, thank you so much for your time and for playing my game.

8. Rookaste

Rookaste Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    @MAY3of4
    Well, I was kinda lost when I needed to search some objects, and did spend time trying to resolve it on my own way (didn't knew about the power etc) so was kinda disapointed to search so much time for getting "spoiled" by the game. My guessing was someone did it, but many people wanted to do it (gift inflammable). I was thinking all people on the party or many of them had an reason to kill her so I had 2 choice : someone did it or all peoples on the party did it on each different timeline like the one was X the 2 was Y etc..

But really, for a first game the story is really cool, the universe too, you should do something else with the same two characters and maybe know their past, and develop something around the wind passive which is called useless but the main character will maybe control it or something like that. But yeah if you do a part 2 i'm waiting it so much aha. I just want (imo) something a bit more difficult with real incident on choice (AND WHERE WE CAN CHECK THE NOTEBOOK WHILE WE INVESTIGATE SOMETHING)

MAY3of4 likes this.
  9. Nagasari

Nagasari Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    the art is charming. the maps need more consistency tho. stuff like tables in the class look a bit off. :3 but other than that, the game seems fabulous and creative. I'm following this for sure.

MAY3of4 likes this.
  10. MAY3of4

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rookaste Your feedback has been very helpful and I do have some plans to do more cases in this world with these characters! So far enough people have seemed interested in finishing the other parts of the Roze Case so I will probably wrap that up first. The only thing that worries me about your comment was:
    The Notebook, Evidence Folder, and Documents should always be available to refer back to almost the entire game by clicking their icons on the bottom of the screen with the mouse. In case that wasn't what you meant, I might need more clarification on your request. I went ahead and added a tutorial pop-up reminding players that you can access them that way in v1.1.1

@Nagasari Thank you! I really enjoyed creating the art for this game but I can definitely see areas of improvement, so your feedback is very helpful! Thank you for following and I hope to see you back when I finish part 2.

Patch Update! v1.1.1
    Some puzzle areas have received a rework in their code and players should expect to see a smoother gameplay overall. There is also a clearer tutorial prompt that helps explain how to open the Notebook, Evidence Files, etc to new players. In addition the Intro Exam prologue has been improved with a few new sound effects, fixed typos, and a few tweaks to student movements.

That's it for now, please feel free to leave a comment if you encounter any bugs or have a feature request!

11. Rookaste

Rookaste Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I mean when you have to make a choice like "X was here" you should be able to check it before awnsering

12. MAY3of4

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for clarifying! That helped me understand what you meant. It was a design choice to prompt a question to see if the player remembered what the suspects had said before being able to check their Notebook for the answer. However you bring up a good point, I never intended to frustrate the players. I may go back and revisit those to see if I can rework it a bit. Thank you!

13. Rookaste

Rookaste Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Thing is, you don't have the time to know well all the characters, you speak a little bit to them and remember so many name (atleast for me) is kinda hard, so yeah have you note but the question should be more difficult

14. MAY3of4

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch Update! v1.1.2
    Greeting Detectives, another small update with some exciting news!

With all the major bugs previously addressed, this is a small update fixing a few typos and some small cosmetic glitches. There was a feature request made by @Rookaste to be able to review the Notebook before each puzzle area which is now in the game! This was a great suggestion and really helps the game flow. Peppyy mentioned some major glitches while moving from one area to another, which hopefully has been cleared up now with some tweaks to the game code. Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback from you all, it has helped so much!

A special thanks to usaviator for his awesome full play through of The Roze Case! I highly recommend his channel.

Due to the amazingly positive feedback and the high interest level, I am excited to announce that work has started on Part 2 of the Roze Case! This will be the last update to Part 1 while production begins on Part 2. For those who are worried that starting the next timeline might be repetitive, rest assured I have big plans to make sure that won't happen. I don't want to spoil anything but here's a brief description of Part 2 to give fans a few things to look forward to during the wait:

"The Prime Timeline is in danger, and beginning to fracture from the strain. Vyne and Paalm must now split up and solve different Timelines simultaneously with new partners in a race against the clock. What secrets does the Briarthorne Manor hold for our young Detectives?

15. about7

about7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's a really good idea. I believe if you try to make just a short promo video it would gain a lot more traction.

Great work though!

MAY3of4 likes this.
  16. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks absolutely brilliant! I will have to dig into this as soon as I have the chance!

MAY3of4 likes this.
  17. wazzy

wazzy Villager Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there! played your game and it was really nice figuring out who the perpetrator was.

Also it seems the wooden barriers move for a second time if you interact again.