RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, I forgot this thread was a thing till now. I've rarely made any meme images and they weren't great, but I just might concoct some. Maybe or maybe not some as self-promotions, IDK? But some!

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That thing you do when you should be doing something productive with your project.
Yanfly.png

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Epic thread! Gonna follow this :)

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not true. I've seen games with default do quite well. It's all in how you use it.
Well it really depends on who your audience is. I'm beginning to think people here are a tough crowd in general. Other people, not so much.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly, 99% of those who say never use anything default never have and never do finish their games. Making everything by yourself is a great way for your game to be the next Duke Nukem Forever or Grimore, both games that took decades to finish.

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, 99% of those who say never use anything default never have and never do finish their games. Making everything by yourself is a great way for your game to be the next Duke Nukem Forever or Grimore, both games that took decades to finish.
Well at least I finished my game, even though it was terrible \^-^/
On topic: A meme about something that irks me, i could be wrong here but...
that-trope-has-d91690e191.jpg

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well at least I finished my game, even though it was terrible \^-^/
On topic: A meme about something that irks me, i could be wrong here but...
I think this attitude of "tropes bad" is the sign of an immature writer. I always find that there is this certain point in the development of writing, kind of the "teenage years" of writing, where they just seem to think that all tropes are bad.

Like, when you first start writing everything you write is probably super tropey, and just ripoffs of things you have seen/read/heard. Then you rebel against that and you go "No, any thing like anything else is bad, I have to be totally different", then you hit the final stage where you realize "Oh wait, tropes are tools, and it is all about how you use them not them existing."

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this attitude of "tropes bad" is the sign of an immature writer. I always find that there is this certain point in the development of writing, kind of the "teenage years" of writing, where they just seem to think that all tropes are bad.

Like, when you first start writing everything you write is probably super tropey, and just ripoffs of things you have seen/read/heard. Then you rebel against that and you go "No, any thing like anything else is bad, I have to be totally different", then you hit the final stage where you realize "Oh wait, tropes are tools, and it is all about how you use them not them existing."
I agree. My fiction writing got better when I decided to use tropes and write like everybody else instead of being "cool and edgy."

kaffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Absolutely. I have taken several writing courses and the biggest thing I learned was how to properly execute tropes. Not how to avoid them. Let's face it, tropes are everywhere, and if you try to avoid every single one you'll either end up writing nothing or writing something boring. Tropes give the audience a sense of familiarity and investment in the work. The trick is to use the trope as a device to further your story, not as a check list.

Elliott404

NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A bit too harsh on that self-criticism, don't you think?
Pretty accurate, actually, at least in terms of my own work. Even though I like how they turn out in the end, the first few drafts of the more complex cutscenes can be just painful to watch. Like, I'll forget to set an event or two to the proper character graphic. Maybe there's too much talking and not enough flavor (balloons, movement, etc) or maybe there's just too much unnecessary talking in general. Minor spelling errors, bad copy/pasted stuff, bad copy/pasted stuff (see what I did there?) or just word salad in general. Minor script errors, you name it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.
You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louxie