The RPG Maker MV School!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Touchfuzzy, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Inevitable Staff Member

First Language:
    English
    Ok, so here we go! Finally. The project is live. Right now, we have a base project.

Things that are implemented:
    Orientation
    Most of first floor mapping
    Main basement mapping
    Lesson Structure.

So you want to be involved!
    There are several things that need doing! We'll start with the things that still need to be done to make it a complete project, and then move down!

Title Screen
    Are you an artist? Can you make a cool spiffy title screen for our project? Then jump on board. This is basically an art contest. The winner will receive a prize! (prize pending until I've talked to @Lunarea I'll admit I got so into making the project that I forgot about this stuff)

To submit a title screen, post it in this thread with the first line as "Title Screen Submission" in bold, so I'm sure to see it!

Music
    I am not a good music person. I tend to leave it for last cause it isn't my strong suit. Right now the base project is with no music except a generic title theme. What we'd really like is a couple of unique songs for the project! If you're a composer, we're mainly looking for a title theme, and a default theme for wandering the school. This here will also lead to prizes! (and of course, you retain whatever rights to your music as you want, as long as we can use it in the school!)

Being an NPC!
    If you want to have yourself as a character in the game, you'll just need to submit a character in this thread! Characters will be added as the school expands. You can discuss submitted characters here.

I want to make a lesson!
    This is the big one, and also the most time consuming to explain.

Here is what you need to know to make a lesson.

General structure:
    In person communication is always message, window, bottom. Messages that aren't people talking, such as just describing the scene (She is painting) are message, window, middle. Communications via the T.U.T.O.R. (explained below) are message, window, top, EXCEPT during event scans where it would get in the way. T.U.T.O.R. messages are always preempted by an alert sound that is specific to the teacher. Touchfuzzy's for instance is the Save sound effect.

Switches, Variables, Etc.

All lessons must be completely finished before another is started. (there will also be a way to back out of a lesson that resets it). Because of this we can reuse the same 20 variables and switches for each lesson. They just must be zeroed out at the end.

Your lesson will be assigned 2 switches, one to indicate that it is currently on, one to indicate it has been finished. Use the currently on switch in combination with variables 1-20 and switches 1-20 to do all events. Name the variables for when you are doing the lesson so that you can take screenshots of events to show in game they are named, then make sure to zero them out completely when the lesson is over. In the final project we'll be removing the names of variables and switches 1-20, for people who are making lessons to easily rename them (I forgot to do this on the base project... oops)

In addition, each lesson will be assigned 1 additional switch, and 1 common event to do whatever they wish with.

There is also a switch for when someone is on a lesson, so that it is easy to prevent them from starting other lessons. Lastly, there is a switch that is "ON" if The Student is male, and "OFF" if The Student is female, in case you wish to use that info.

Self Switches should be used sparingly, due to how difficult they can be to reset. Exceptions are switches that turn themselves back off, such as the T.U.T.O.R. events.

The T.U.T.O.R.
    The T.U.T.O.R. (Thingamajig Used for Teaching Oblivious Rookies) is a device The Student receives during Orientation. It allows teachers to communicate with the player no matter where they are, and also allows the user to scan events. It is easiest just to see this in action, so please just play through the orientation.

To see the functionality of this and how to event it yourself, go to the basement and open the event in the upper left hand corner. Pages 3&4 are the T.U.T.O.R. functionality. More functions can be added later (I'm already planning a function that lets the user see the RegionIDs on the map), and if you have a new idea for a function for one of your lessons, tell me about it and we'll figure stuff out!

Items, New NPCs, Etc.
    We're good for you to add more of these. Try to keep Items to a minimum unless item use is the point of the lesson. Variables and Switches are a lot easier to integrate into the main project when we sew it all together. New NPCs, even non-community characters are fine when added during a lesson. (The orientation creates a villain NPC for instance).

Story
    Let's aim for all of our lessons to have some bit of story. Story keeps the player involved!

Prizes!
    All the lessons that pass the quality check to get incorporated into the main project will also get some kind of prize! Also our favorite three will get to design the 2-4th floors of the school!

Notes
    There are a few bugs in the orientation. A few places where an alert sound isn't given when Touch communicates via the T.U.T.O.R. and the tutorial on how to use the device has a few wonky bits (it works though). I will be working on fixing those.

Also, Credits will be added in game. I forgot to add the credits screen. (it will be posted on a bulletin board in the lobby).

Lessons Being Worked On

Touchfuzzy

• Using RegionID in Events
    • Basic Stealth System
    • Test (Tests information from Orientation, RegionID in Events, and Basic Stealth System)
    Seacliff
    • Importing Game Data into variables (Steps, Gold, XY location)
    Moonlight Daemon
    • Balancing Boss Fights

mlogan
    • Importing Tilesets

First Round Submissions Deadline: November 12th (Moved due to IGMC overlap and other issues.)

And here is the Project:
    BASE PROJECT DOWNLOAD

CREDITS
    Design

Nick "Touchfuzzy" Palmer

Art
    Kadokawa
    hiddenone
    Mon
    Derex
    HexMozart88
    Rhino

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    *tries to decide between music and title screen art* Rippity rip. I have no idea which one to do, not that it matters because I'll probably fail. XD

Touchfuzzy likes this.
  3. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love That idea. Would do a "saved by the bell" themed screen if I had time...

I'll submit a community character, member of the PVgames user club.

OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  4. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The TUTOR system is amusing. XD
    One question, I'm not sure if I missed it while reading the post, ouo/
    do we build our lessons in the base project provided or do we make a demo in a new project but copy the switches from the base project over?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    LOL, during the orientation, I could just see little Hex pacing around. And... it's occurred to me that making a lesson may be harder than I thought. ^^;

Rabie likes this.
  6. Sarah_yt

Sarah_yt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is such a neat concept! Looking forward to seeing it develop ^_^

Question about the first lesson with variables.

From my reading of the variables instructions the formula for each step is as expressed below:

P(x) = power after that step is completed
    V(x) = variable

0. P(0) = 5
    1. P(1) = 5 + V(1)
    2. P(2) = P(1) x V(2)
    3. P(3) i.e. Final Power = P(2) - V(3)

Simplifying all the above, I get the formula to be P(3) = (5 + V(1)) x V(2) - V(3)

Some numbers that could get P(3) to = 15 would be
    V(1) = 3
    V(2) = 2
    V(3) = 1

but that doesn't solve it in game. What am I missing?

7. Rabie

Rabie Seeker of the balance

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The station to the left of the "crystal charger" (lol touchfuzzy your orientation story humor got to me) activates the 'charging' sequence, your numbers are indeed valid to 'charge' the crystal, you simply need to activate them via the left-side console in the basement to continue the tutorial.

@Touchfuzzy I made the mistake of walking outside when I finished orientation, sorry for getting in your way :guffaw:

EDIT
    I was getting to work on my lesson attempt (Primarily involving the "Priority" and "Trigger" fields of the Event Editor) when I realized that having 1 common event to iterate my lesson's progression variable when an 'instruction' switch is flipped (immediately turning said 'instruction' switch off in said common event) would allow me to progress my lesson via switching on the 'instruction' switch within move routes, effectively iterating my lesson's progression variable. I realize that normally a variable control command (immediately after the move route's completion) would effectively achieve the same result, however an event's autonomous movement does not allow for variable control, requiring me to make use of an entire switch just for the effect of having my NPC 'write on the chalkboard,' while the student can move, until they take take their seat to signify they are prepared to initiate my lesson...
    [​IMG]
    Long story short, I wish to propose that each of the instructors be additionally rationed a single common event for whatever purpose they choose. (Mine allows me to iterate my lesson progression within autonomous movement)

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. ninja_tom

ninja_tom Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Might I humbly suggest the source code is shared open source on something like github: https://github.com/ in that way it will be easier for us to contribute new lessons using pull request mechanism.

9. Sarah_yt

Sarah_yt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Rabie - many thanks! Glad to know I wasn't going crazy :p

10. Neuralsplyce

Neuralsplyce <error: witty or funny saying not found.>

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This sounds like a great idea and I would encourage everyone to participate, regardless of level of experience. The best way to learn something is by trying to teach it. Work permitting, I’d like to help with the classroom lessons. After a long hiatus, I am coming back to RPG Maker so this is a great opportunity for me to (re)learn-by-teaching. I work as an instructional developer and all the projects I have created in RPG Maker are edutainment/game-based training so this is something I have experience with.

Based on my experience creating courses, here are some things to consider for managing this project:

1. A considerable portion of the community speak and read English as a second language (ESL). Create guidelines for dialog in the lessons to make them accessible to ESL community members. For example, avoid the use of idioms, slang, clichés and sarcasm (that is not identified as sarcasm, e.g., /s). Also avoid usin’ regional dialects and don’t do not use contractions.

2. Whenever possible, lessons should start with an example of what students will be able accomplish by the end of the lesson. This will help capture their attention and increase understanding as they see the lesson building to the final outcome.

3. Screenshots should have arrows or another method of highlighting the specific region of the screenshot being explained by the instructor.

4. There should be a strict naming convention for assets created by lesson developers to ensure unique filenames for the entire project. For example, appending ‘by_<username>’ to all filenames would allow everyone to create a character sheet named “My awesome character.png”

5. Provide student feedback when they accomplish a task. When a student does something correct or incorrect, do not just provide encouragement or rewards. Also provide feedback on why they did, or did not, accomplish a task correctly. For example, in the MV School project demo, while charging the crystal if the student fails to set the power variable to 15 they are only told they were unsuccessful. Appropriate feedback would tell them the value of the power variable is X when it needs to be Y and brief reminder of how the charging stations work.

6. Provide a ‘call to action’ at the end of each lesson. Give students ideas for ‘homework’ they can do to practice. Giving students a long-term project for each ‘school year’ that results in a finished game could results in well-defined homework tasks for each lesson. For example, if the lesson is about creating door events, the homework would be to add doors events to all buildings on the project maps. (Perhaps for the first school year, reuse the example game Touchfuzzy used in the RPGMaker VX Ace Tutorial.)

7. Create a list of all the lessons community members can sign up to work on. Try to get at least two people signed up to create content for each lesson. This will reduce the probability a lesson will not get completed when content developers drop out of the project. Alternatively, only have two or three active lesson projects at a time and allow all community members to drop in/out at will.

8. Create committees or teams of lesson reviewers, to include other lesson developers, and use standardized form(s) for feedback. Basically, put each lesson through a beta test and have beta testers report their feedback using a standardized form. Having other lesson developers participate helps make them better at testing and proofreading their work. This results in a positive feedback loop where lessons are increasingly polished when they are submitted.

Suggestions and Ideas for the MV School

- The orientation for new students should become a true orientation. Layout what students will learn in the school and how the school is organized. It should end with a mind-blowing demo reel showcasing the kind of games they will be able to make after completing each chunk of training (aka school year) and upon graduation.

- Each floor of the school should be devoted to a specific level of experience or ‘school year’. Floor 1 and the basement for ‘year 1’ Novices. Floor 2 for ‘year 2’ Beginners, etc. Additionally, all lessons and the project assets should be restricted to what that level the student would be able to use. This would prevent discouraging students by not exposing them to things they cannot achieve at their level of experience. It also helps gradually showcase the potential of RMMV as they grow in experience. For example, floor 1/year 1 maps and lessons should only use stock assets and plugins as much as possible. Floor 2/year 2 might introduce Resource Packs and maybe Core Engine plugins from plugin developers like Yanfly. Floor/Year 3 might introduce Core Engine add-ons, parallax mapping, and customizing tilesets. By the time students get to the top floor, RMMV is barely recognizable because there are almost no stock assets or plugins being used.

How I Can Help

As much as my workload will allow me, I would also like to create lessons or to help others create lessons for the school. I am currently learning MV and slowly recalling what I knew about VX Ace so I need to get back up to speed.

To help budding MV School teachers, I have uploaded to Google Drive a 1-hour VX Ace game on Technical Writing I created a few years ago. It teaches the fundamentals on how to write procedural information, like tutorials lessons, which may improve the quality of the school classes. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5S_TO9vrb1mdWlQZHA1ZEp2Y1E

I also created a Flash card game in VX Ace that includes some mini-games and a battle arena to make reviewing flashcards less boring. It also has a crude DLC management system that may spark some ideas for adding classes to the MV School project without having to republish the project for every new class. I would be willing to make it available to the project team to reverse engineer it (or turn the functionality into a MV plugin). The game was specifically developed for internal users at my company to review material for a bunch of old certification exams. I would rather not make it widely available without sanitizing it.

Feedback on the project demo

I ran into a couple of things that could be improved in the next update of the demo project.

- When the student is altering the switches in the basement to charge the crystal, feedback on the value of the power variable would be helpful. I missed the part about starting with a value of 5 so failed a couple of times. Then I tried to input a value in all 3 stations (like sarah_yt) and kept going over or under 15 but couldn’t see how far off I was.

- The orientation doesn’t seem to end properly. After the principal told me I was done, I left the school…and ran into the principal who wanted to enroll me again and put me through character creation again. Then I broke the game because I was standing in the way of the event’s movement path when it tries to enter the school.

Looking forward to seeing how the MV School develops and grows.

Neuralsplyce

11. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Played through the demo, looking really nice so far! Passability issue on the windows though e.g. outside your classroom.

I've got a few questions/suggestions though, hope someone can help;
    1) What's the deadline for submitting? I suppose it must be a way away, but I've heard talks of 'first round of participation' and am a little confused about what's actually going on :rswt I'm not familiar with any past RPG Maker community projects, so if this is based on some school made for a previous maker than a link with those original rules would be helpful.

2) I think that it'd be nice to have character names somewhere, else when you're talking to a community character you don't really have any way of identifying them. I know name boxes need a plugin, so my suggestion is just to have their name in a different colour on the first line of their dialogue perhaps?

3) I would quite like a common event if that's allowed. I think one that resets switches 1-20 and variables 1-20 back to defaults would also be useful to everyone making lessons.

4) Does the player have to be silent or can we write dialogue for them?

5) Are we allowed plugins? I assume no but thought I'd ask :guffaw: Eventing without mjshi's Conditional Branch+ is going to kill me :headshake:

6) Second dragoonwys question. Also are we mapping to a theme of our choice or if the lesson is accepted will it get placed into it's own area/map?

7) I agree that a list of who's planning what would be nice. It'd be awful to work on something and realise someone else has been making the same lesson. Plus that way some lessons can be planned around the player already having acquired basic knowledge elsewhere.

8) Depending how big the school gets, it might be nice to have a map. I get lost easily...

9) The T.U.T.O.R could have a function to let the player see if they're already in a lesson? (In case they save and forget what they were up to, although maybe this could be done via visiting the Principle.)

Sorry about the long list! Hope I'm not being too troublesome, I'm just excited to get started and want to make sure I'm doing it right...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Rabie and starlight dream like this.
  12. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rhino It's been said on the announcment that everything must be doable from within the editor, so no plugins.
    As for the character names, these are no problem. I could take care of them without plugins or any hassle, if necessary.

Rhino likes this.
  13. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg I wasn't sure if that just applied to what was being taught in the lessons, and whether we might be allowed plugins that make the actual dev part easier. E.g. since the player can be male/female, having placeholder faces (assuming we can write player dialogue,) gender message codes etc instead of having to conditional branch it all. (Which I'd still be happy to do, it's just a little messier.)

It shouldn't be hard to add character names, but since Touchfuzzy is in charge of organising the project/adding NPCs I figured that suggestion would have to go through him in order to be updated to the main project.

Poryg likes this.
  14. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rhino Actually, since the code will probably be visible through T.U.T.O.R (if I understood it correctly), I think it would be better to refrain from any use of plugins.

As for the names labels, I know Touch is in charge of that, that's why I only suggested I could make them. I have the base for the labels already finished, took me about 5 minutes in pixi.
    Screenshot_304.png

15. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    @Neuralsplyce I'd rather the project be written interesting rather than dry. This reminds me of a discussion I've had before about board game rule books. They shouldn't be written like technical writing. Technical writing is very very very very dry. It can be useful for reference but also very very boring. The goal of the MV School is to do everything conversationally, because hopefully we can entertain people and teach them at the same time. I'm not, and I don't expect anyone else either, going to leave conversational English. In fact if someone submitted a lesson that looked like technical writing I would straight up turn it down. It doesn't fit the tone of the project.

Also, I don't want to do different floors for different levels of skill, because that prevents teachers from having consistent classrooms. Instead, lessons will be gated off based on other lessons that must be completed first. This both keeps people from hitting things they won't understand early, and lets lesson creators create a flow of story over multiple lessons. Also, this project will probably never go into anything with plugins, other than maybe installing them. The goal is to not to teach plugins, the reason being that plugins are 1. A Skill you will understand the more you use the rest of the editor anyway, 2. Teaching plugins from within the editor is just overly difficult and will really really cause the project to become unwieldy, 3. I straight up believe that, outside of coding itself, learning eventing is a more versatile skill than learning to use plugins, 4. Teaching anything beyond how to install and configure a plugin would require teaching individual plugins, of which there are... a lot, and the idea of picking out just a few to highlight seems meh to me.

I also want people to just make what they are interested in. And I'll probably work on filling in gaps myself (I have a wide variety of knowledge in RPG Maker), so I'm not going to be writing up "this is what needs to be done" type deals. It is a community project that will intentionally grow based on what people feel like putting into it. I understand this might not be as structured as you would prefer, but I find people work better when they are using their own creativity.

I fixed the error where I forgot to turn the switch on that indicates the orientation is finished. Sorry about that! I haven't uploaded the new version as it isn't really necessary to people making new lessons. Just add FinishedOrientation=ON to the end of the transfer event out of my office, page 4 of the events if you need it now.

Feedback on the charging station is a good idea. I think giving anything beyond the final charge on the machine though is a bad idea. Just saying Charging: 14, Insufficient Charge. Or something like that. The reason is that they should then return to the T.U.T.O.R. scan to read through the events again, to make sure they understand it. The point of the T.U.T.O.R. is for it to explain the individual parts, but it is up to the student to put it all together to show he understands.

Filename convention actually exists I just forgot to put it in the opening thread. Not for the added sprites/faces, but for pictures. Each teacher will have a 2 letter abbreviation (3 if we have to move to that based on a lot of teachers, if we get that I'll be happy), followed by the number of the lesson (as in, how many lessons that person has). All the lessons in the orientation are marked TF1 followed by a descriptive name.

I just feel like the project isn't designed to be what you are expecting it to be.

@Rhino
    1. Sorry! I forgot to add that First submissions are 3 weeks. So October 11th is the deadline. We'll continue to improve the project every month for as long as well.. for as long as I can think to.

2. I'm not adverse to using a few plugins globally. Character names is one where I felt it might be a good idea. It is mostly a question of... since we aren't teaching plugins, visibly using them is a bit odd. I did think that maybe we should teach how to basic install a plugin, we could use a message system one as the example, and then have it pop up names after the lesson is done? That gives a sense of progression to it and explanation, so people don't see it in the school and wonder why they don't have that option. (granted, I have no idea how you would make it show up only after... maybe we could use one and then mention it. Just mention "you may wonder how x is done, you can see y teacher about it")

3. Eh, resetting the two is like, 2 lines since you can select the ranges. That being said, Common Events CAN be used, especially if it is something that will be done a lot (I have the one I put in every project, that records player x, player y, player map, and the regionid of hte tile they are standing on) See my comment below to Rabie.

4. I had The Student (which is my official name for them) as a silent protagonist. I do sometimes write thoughts though in the middle set messages. Other characters do react to him/her as though s/he said something though. If you need someone asking questions, I would suggest having another student going through the class with him.

5. See 2. I'm not against using plugins, especially for quality of life, but the more we use things the player can't do with just the editor, the more it moves away from the point of the project.

6. Yes. Also, people can do "field trips" for their lessons and have the player leave from the front of the school to go to other locations entirely. Forgot to mention that.

7. I would suggest people do post what they are working on! I'll compile a list in the opening post, but as I said before, I'm not going to make a list of things that are "needed"

8. Definitely something to think about in the future.

9. Problem with this is that at this time, the only place where the T.U.T.O.R. button works is where it is evented on the map. Could be done with PageDown and common events though.

And no problem!

@dragoonwys
    Submissions should use the base project and build on top of it!

@Poryg Well with the T.U.T.O.R. we mostly just show people what we want to show them since it is pictures. In fact there are some parts that aren't shown that exist in the orientation (for instance my character interjects in the middle of some of the events when you are doing them, but those messages are not shown in the T.U.T.O.R. scans.

@Rabie The problem with this is that if it is called by a switch, that switch can't be used in any other lesson either. I think 1 additional switch and 1 common event though per lesson is not a terrible burden so I'm ok with it. Just use a switch outside the 1-20 Range. (PS I feel so very self-conscious about my level of uncommented eventing now ahaha).

Also, if anyone ever runs into issues where their lesson needs more of something, an additional switch outside the reused ones, another common event, just ask me! In general, I'm not going to be super restrictive, but I need to know, so that we can try to make integration as easy as possible.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    dragoonwys likes this.
  16. Seacliff

Seacliff Self Proclaimed Professional

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Oh boy. I'm excited to take a look.

I'm going to examine what's already in the project and how it's presented. I hope to write at least one tutorial for this project, but I need to see what's already been done and how I can add to it.

Perhaps I could write an advanced course on variables? But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Rhino likes this.
  17. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Touchfuzzy Thanks for clarifying everything!

I'm going to stick with my original idea and aim to make a lesson about how to use the 'Select Item' command. It's cool that we might be able to expand our lesson/story later, since I do have an idea for a more advanced version. (The advanced version has a more interesting story, so I might have to do some switching around to make sure part 1 passes quality control :guffaw:)

Having T.U.T.O.R changes some things, since it's sort of like an interactive quiz rather than a written tutorial, but hopefully I can still work my idea in...

Also happy to help making graphics outside of npcs if anyone needs a little extra! If inspiration hits I'm going to try and make a title screen :kaojoy:Just a little stuck on what to draw atm...

18. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
  19. Seacliff

Seacliff Self Proclaimed Professional

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I really liked the orientation. The 'puzzle' involving the generator was pretty creative.

Just a minor glitch, once the orientation is over the event outside restarts. Perhaps it should be tied to a different switch.

That's about it for now. I really like this project's direction so far.

Edit: Sorry, was working on this comment before I refreashed to page. I'll direct the comment complaint there.

20. Verdelite

Verdelite Wannabe Developer

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I wanted to point out that there's a mapping error. You can climb onto the walls by walking on the windows.