Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my community school series of scripting tutorials I decided first to make a Console understanding tutorial and while there will be no fights, I want the enemy to pose riddles about himself regarding stats etc. So I will be creating an extra enemy (I can't have a bat pose riddles, that would be ridiculous :D - bats aren't too smart after all)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I wanted to point out that there's a mapping error. You can climb onto the walls by walking on the windows.

Oops >_> I'll fix that up.

Also, just a general comment. I'm going to try to keep up as much as possible, BUT I also am going to be out of town on work for the weekend (heading to CEOtaku for the game publishing side of Degica), so there may be some delays on responses.

I'll try my best to stay on top of it though.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Alright, I have decided to start creating a tutorial that takes a closer look at variables and the different uses they hold.

Preferably I want to look at the different uses of taking game data and importing them into variables (Steps, Gold, XY location) to create simple puzzles and unique situation and possibly how variables could be used in items or skills. Someone can definitely take this further, this is just taking it to the next step based on what's shown so far.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Alright, I have decided to start creating a tutorial that takes a closer look at variables and the different uses they hold.

Preferably I want to look at the different uses of taking game data and importing them into variables (Steps, Gold, XY location) to create simple puzzles and unique situation and possibly how variables could be used in items or skills. Someone can definitely take this further, this is just taking it to the next step based on what's shown so far.

Oh, nice. I can use yours as a prereq for my first tutorial, which is on using regionid in events (so importing the XY location to determine regionID is already covered by yours)

Moonlight Daemon

Demonic Angel
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy I was wondering, could we do a lesson on how to make things balanced? For example, making a final boss beatable, since balance is an extremely important thing in video games. If that's alright with you, I'd like to do it. I can have a lesson made pretty quick if you think it should be added. Thanks!

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Balancing is a great topic. I was thinking of doing a lesson that touches on balance, although mine would be more focused on "okay, we've got to decide on stats for the actors, skills and enemies -- where do we even start?"

Moonlight Daemon

Demonic Angel
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All righty then. I'll just load up the project, read the lesson requirements a few hundred more times, and figure out what I'm supposed to do with it when I'm done. Balance, here I come! A demon-angel should be good at this... right?

Neuralsplyce

<error: witty or funny saying not found.>
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TouchFuzzy, thanks for the clarification. I initially read the project description from the perspective of a structured zero-to-hero training academy (essentially my 7 – 5 job which is why I hedged against making a committment to even more work). Now I understand it’s less: primary school with regimented learning paths and more: adult school where anyone with a skill they want to teach can conduct classes.

@Neuralsplyce I'd rather the project be written interesting rather than dry. This reminds me of a discussion I've had before about board game rule books. They shouldn't be written like technical writing. Technical writing is very very very very dry. It can be useful for reference but also very very boring. The goal of the MV School is to do everything conversationally, because hopefully we can entertain people and teach them at the same time. I'm not, and I don't expect anyone else either, going to leave conversational English. In fact if someone submitted a lesson that looked like technical writing I would straight up turn it down. It doesn't fit the tone of the project.

Your viewpoint on technical writing is exactly why I created the game in VX Ace. Yes, writing board game manuals and instruction for assembling furniture is technical writing, but only one aspect of it. Any time you write instructions or directions on how to do something, that is technical writing. Your orientation quest is technical writing wrapped in a fictional story to prevent the MEGO Affect (My Eyes Glaze Over). I recognized your username because a few days ago I was looking through my old VX Ace folders and found your tutorial documentation. That documentation is primarily how I learned to use VX Ace. Guess what? You’re a technical writer.

Technical writing is the process of ensuring what you wrote is clear, detailed, and accurate and not a stick to beat the life out of your creativity. The spectrum between dry and lively comes more from the purpose of the document than from the writer. A checklist for flying a 747 or performing heart surgery has to be dry and boring because lives are on the line. The same rules that prevent catastrophic accidents are just as useful when writing directions to your house for a party. They help ensure your party directions state, “Turn left on the third street. There is a blue ranch house on the corner”, instead of, “Turn left on the third road with a blue ranch house”, which would send them to the next county when taken literally.

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm thinking of making a tutorial for mapping. Specifically on Shift+ mapping, and a little on using Terrain Tag as a variable for events. I know a handful of people who don't realize it exists lol.

Last edited:

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About music, here’s what in my minds.

I think it’s missing something.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@KayZaman I don't think the song would be a bad fit for title music, but I guess that also depends on the background used.

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Seacliff Yup, for background. Not for title.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@KayZaman Hex approves. I think what's missing is a nice solid string/piano background.

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this was an enjoyable play. i am a fan of the tutor device. good job, guys.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KayZaman The song wouldn't be bad for either title or school walking. It just needs some background instruments, like the mentioned piano and some drums too.

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have some ideas for a lesson on how to create cutscenes. In RPGMaker, that's basically mandatory to know. The tricky part may be how to test the player on that. I have a few ideas on that front already. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I kind of want to do something on using events to customize the aesthetic ('cause that's what the Master of Random Garbage does best). But I'd have to narrow it down a bit, otherwise that'd be too much to cover. :aswt:

Moonlight Daemon

Demonic Angel
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy I just finished the balance lesson. How do you want me to get it to you? All of us making lessons could use this info. :hswt:

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KayZaman The song wouldn't be bad for either title or school walking. It just needs some background instruments, like the mentioned piano and some drums too.
@KayZaman Hex approves. I think what's missing is a nice solid string/piano background.

Added piano and drum with swing. I wanna lower the treble of flute play because the flutes made my ear ‘itchy’ that could annoy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thursday AM
Him: When can you have this ready to test?
Me: With the amt of work plus other things on my plate, 2 weeks
Him: Can you have it ready by Monday?
Me: IF I can give my other work to someone else AND don't run into any issues AND I rush, I MIGHT be able to make it next Wednesday
Him: So Monday then?
Me: Maybe Wednesday
Realized virus affecting my NJS and MZ!
I feel so dumb I forgot to set parameters and thought the plugin wasn't working
I can come up with all of the magic skills in the world, but I can hardly think of creative physical weapon skills within the JRPG realm. One of those ones....
It's time for episode 19 of our Make a Cliff Map in RPG Maker MZ... I mean, Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ! Today we're working on our cliff map again. Let's see if we can finish it this time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkelly527