The RPGMaker min-spec stigma

What is the min spec PC you expect to be able to use to play an RPGM game?

• A $200 Chromebook

• A low-end office desktop

• A gaming computer from 15 years ago

• A very low end computer that still has a proper video card

• A computer still running Windows Vista

• A Playstation 1

• Something actually decent that can play "real" games

Results are only viewable after voting.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I honestly find your post a bit confusing because you're comparing running the editor to running the game...they're two entirely different pieces of software. It's like saying "If my computer can run Firefox, it can run Photoshop" :wink:
In a vacuum I'd agree with you, but in practice I've found that barring extenuating circumstances (namely, the three things Andar pointed out), the engine has always seemed to take more to run well on a given computer than a game made in that engine. Why? I could not tell you, it's not like it makes sense to me XD

I would expect anyone who is using Steam
You know what? Slightly off-topic, but I would expect anyone using Steam to have the requirements to run Steam (and I know people who don't). My computer can barely run the battlenet launcher, so I had just assumed it also could barely run any Blizzard game (which I was wrong about, Starcraft 2 runs mostly smoothly).

We all do need to be mindful, but assuming we've done our due diligence... that's where this topic is coming from.
I totally get the assumption for purposes of the topic, but I would like to bring attention to it. If we really are doing our due diligence when it comes to programming, our games will run vastly better. You can really see this when you have day one titles on a console running far better than a title released five years later for the same console.

Of course, you also face increasing odds that modern computers will experience unexpected problems trying to run things that old properly.
I recently found a treasure trove of old rm2k/3 games I played back in the day (as in '99-'05) and wow has this been an issue.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
i optimise TF out of my games and make sure it can run on a potato lol but seriously, if i can get it running on my mom's creaky gaming machine (a dell with a duo core and 2gb ram) then i know it'll work just fine :LZSrasp:

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I gotta say the typed responses are reassuring but the votes are not:
1670612189064.png

I've seen the question asked which engine I mean. Well, an old engine works on old hardware. That's not a surprise, really. So I'm more interested in MV/MZ (not that the average user knows the difference when looking at a store page).

EDIT: Now there's a vote for the joke option. This means that 66% of the votes are for options that are well below the min spec of RPG Maker MV. And this is coming- presumably- from people who are familiar with the tool. Oh, what a dark day for those of us trying to add nice features to their game.

Last edited:

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All I know is that I play a ton of rm games that have clearly not been optimised. It's always a bit of a red flag when I launch an RM project and the title screen isn't running at 60 on my laptop. I have a gaming pc for work, but I tend to try games out on q low spec machine first.

It's just good practice to try and have the lowest possible min and rec specs if your game's usps are anything but 'spectacular graphics'.

callist0

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I used to play a couple of RPGM games on my older computer. It's pretty bad, it only has like 1.35 ghz amd dual core cpu (said to be worser than a intel pentium)
It run 5-10 fps playing To The Moon and Summer Memories. I think it's because the really heavy parallax and some mist effects on both games. Somehow runs smoothly when playing Oneshot and Grimm's Hollow.
I think if you're rig can run minecraft in 30 fps, i think you're good to go

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I managed to scare my chief. Between shifts I had an appointment with my psychiatrist, so prior to it I'd told him "If I ain't coming today, they've kept me there.". Then as I was asleep, my phone died. So I overslept and through the entire time I was unreachable.
I spent so much time toiling in VX Ace frankensteining scripts together only for MV to come along and just... have everything.

The overworld tool system in particular I thought was gonna take me a million years to recreate, but nope. Thanks Moghunter.
Going to go live way earlier than usual tonight, pretty much in 20 minutes, purely because I'm bored. :LZSlol:

So... I'm gonna be a parent... XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inspector