~The Seventh Warrior~! Review

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Lilly, Oct 4, 2019.

?

Who wants to see another review?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2019.
  1. Me.

100.0%
  2. Not Me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lilly

Lilly Joy Bringer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome
    Today's lucky game interview is....~The Seventh Warrior~!

The Seventh Warrior's story revolves around a demonic crown prince named Dark, he was sealed and now after a thousand years he's back and wants revenge, that's just a small part of it and sounds truly unique, but I gotta say the art style is extraordinarily superior and I that it compliments the story moderately well. The game is right now in Early Development form, 40+ hours of game play has been decided according to the game thread page and I'm wondering, will it really keep a player so connected that they get through it all? These mini games sounds engrossing and I'm looking forward to seeing what they are. Now everyone remember, through production things change, so if we are all not interested right now, maybe we will be later, soon maybe after an interview with the lead developer Mr.DerKIAS!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------INTERVIEW---------------------------------------------------------------------
    BELOW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AppleJournal: Welcome
    I'm sure what everyone's wondering about is if you are the artist for the game ~The Seventh Warrior~

DerKias: I'm basically a "One-Man-Team" working mostly alone on TSW. Through the development of my game, I met two other developers who became really good friends who are also very talented. They help me out here and there when I struggle with something. One of them is the creator of the horror game LoneLy, he is the one who does all the lighting effects for TSW and also some character designs for important characters. The other one is Valentine from Val Games, who mostly helps me with technical stuff. Other than that I have an artist for the artworks of the game and another artist for the battler graphics.

AppleJournal: Interesting, well sure sounds like you have something going on. What was the inspiration for the game's story, It seems fairly unique.

DerKias: What most people might not know is that "The Seventh Warrior" is actually a remake. The original game was made by my long time friend Michael Rupp better known as "Rübe". So the story and setting was made up by him, not by me. The original TSW was made with the RPG Maker 2000 and was developed between 2000 and 2011 on and off. Rübe eventually released a playable but not fully finished version sometime in 2011. In 2016 I had a longer conversation with Rübe about game development and stuff and I asked him if he ever wanted to make a remake of TSW. I myself was a big fan of the original and was helping and motivating him through development process back then. He told me that he would love to see a remake of the game but that he doesn't have the time or the motivation to do that. Then he asked me, being a big fan of the game, if I would like to remake the game. I already had enough of experience with the RPG Maker and he said I would be best suited to do such a remake. I immediately accepted the challenge and here I am now. I'm not doing a 1:1 remake, there is several stuff in the game that wasn't good the first time around so I'm trying to make the game as good as possible and of course I put a lot of my own preferences and ideas in the game. I have free hand in the development but from time to time I ask Rübe for his opinions on my changes to the game and as of now he really likes what I've done so far.

AppleJournal: That's so heartfelt...Wow, I'm sure that most people will be surprised, but will feel very obligated to play this game possibly. How very devoted you must feel to make this game. How much time do you think it will be to complete it, while it's still in development form, there should be an estimation.
    DerKias: Yeah, as a fan of the original, I feel pretty honored to be able to remake it and I'm putting a lot of time, work and money in the game to make it as good as possible. Also one of my goals is to show that RPG Maker games aren't all crap and cheap like many people think. I want to show what the RPG Maker is able to do if you put enough effort in it.

As for the release of the full game I have no idea, honestly. The first chapter took already a lot of time because I needed to set up the whole system of TSW and stuff and the system is still not 100% finished. Another problem is that the development of TSW heavily depends on the pledges I get through Patreon to finance the graphics and stuff. My monthly budget is pretty small (less than 100$ at the moment) and the graphics aren't cheap. For example: All battler graphics of "Dark" for the battle system cost around 900$. Every other playable character costs around 700-800$ (Dark costs more because of his wings). All poses for a normal monster cost around 300-400$ while a big boss costs around 600$. Then I need to buy battle backs, artworks and so on and on. So you see the problem there. My plan is to release a full demo of the first chapter with all features and stuff implemented, so the players can see what to expect of the full game. I hope to release the full demo until sometime at the end of next year. After the first chapter, when the system is basically finished the development should get way faster. I hope that people like the demo and help finance the game through Patreon. If that doesn't work another plan would be to start a Kickstarter for the game to finance it. We'll see how everything turns out after the release of the demo. But if everything goes as I hope for, I should be able to complete the game in like 3-4 years. The game has 13 chapters and will have at least 40+ hours of game play.

AppleJournal: Wow, seems like you've got your work cut out for you. Working so hard, obviously your friend Rübe is looking forward to the remake, many people should and using so many assets in the game will take a toll on you, nevertheless your still trying to make it.

Which reminds me, are you going to voice acting the game by yourself? Most people making RPG Maker games do so for many reasons, such as the problem of funding.

DerKias: Yeah, honestly, even if I had a lot of experience with the RPG Maker before starting the development of TSW, I never expected the remake to get that big, costy and time consuming. But I think it is worth it. Since I was a child, when I played games like "The Legend of Zelda - A link to the Past" or "Secret of Mana", "Chrono Trigger" and the "Breath of Fire" series, I dreamed about creating my own game, and realizing my imaginations for it. So being able to remake my favorite RPG Maker game in the way I want it, is a dream coming true. There are already plans how it goes on from there after the game is released and if it is successful. We'll see. What I can say is that fans of TSW won't see Dark the last time after this game..

To the voice acting, I mean, yeah I could voice act myself since I have a pretty good microphone and have a lot of experience as a rapper, but I want the voice acting to be as professional as possible so I already hired professional voice actors for the main characters. The voice acting will be mostly for the battle system and maybe for some of the cutscenes as well.

AppleJournal: Well after this whole interview, I'm sure everyone can tell this going to be one amazing game, I can. Well thanks for chatting with me today, KIAS and I look forward to your game's completion.

DerKias: Thank you! And thanks for having me, It was fun!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well after that interview with DerKIAS, who's ready to start playing it right now?
    Well your gonna have to wait a little while, but I'm sure it's going to be worth it!

See you next time!~

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    General Discussion isn't the spot for game reviews or interviews.

Moving to Maker Casual instead.

3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I read "review", I thought the demo is released already, because I don't remember if it has a demo. Turned out it just an "interview". Care to change the topic title?

4. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right...I think it has a demo, it could have one and it's just not public. Try asking DerKIAS.

5. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm partially involved with the project in case you don't know. Because he's using my battle system so I help him from time to time. And the last time I knew, it wasn't yet playable.

6. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    He told me, that there was a outdated demo...

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whether there is a demo or not, if you have not played it, then this thread cannot be a review. A review implies you have played the game and are talking about your play experience. This is an interview, which is very different.

8. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'M SORRY!!!
    I just got so busy...and wasn't thinking straight, I would've called it an interview if I wasn't doing something else at the same time as making this...