The Show Text Event Command and the Control Characters

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Dreadshadow, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First of, they are not just known as Control characters, but Escape codes/Escape tags as well, especially among programmers. An important thing to note, since I see escape codes way more than Control characters.
    It comes from the fact that \ is often known as escape character in programming languages, allowing for codes like \n for next line inside a string.

I liked how you demonstrated each feature. It made that tutorial text based, but readable.
    However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to, if you really want to show what one can achieve with text, put in some practical examples, not just demonstrate the features. Because I can just hover my mouse over the Input message window, wait for a couple of seconds and then the help will pop out, showing what you just showed with a description and two escape codes you have missed: \{, \}. If it doesn't work, I just need to click the window.
    So I would suggest adding either some interactive tasks where the player has to do some stuff or maybe a random quick "intro" at the end to demonstrate the power of escape codes.
    And after that intro put in the information that you can see the escape codes by hovering the mouse over the Input message and go.
    I have nothing to say against that except for mentioned points though.

Typos:
    "Batch enty"
    "I want to make a text delay /|/|/| like this"
    "If you want more presicion, you can do the same for 1/th of the second"
    "An easy example. I am gonna use //I to delay ....., because I'm gonna use //^"
    "they represent the small aquares on the window.png file" (there should be in btw.)
    "But it works trust me on that" is missing a comma. There are some commas that are extra somewhere in the text, but I'm not tracking them.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  3. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The legend on RPG Make MV shows that. We focus on beginners here and calling them otherwise might be confusing.
    Can't argue, it is totally escape characters, but imagine someone calling the Conditional Branch an IF statement. ;)

Nice suggestion, I will try to implement some more examples, I actually do demonstrate some in the end, but doing something for all of them would be good.

Also thank you for the typos detection!!! ^^

4. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If statement, haha :D
    I know it wouldn't be good to call them just escape stuff, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to say at the beginning "Control characters, also known as Escape tags," or something, because yes, the MV legend does say that, but forum members and in fact even Yanfly use the term Escape tags/codes.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  5. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can state this yes, good suggestion, but I wanted to stick on the basic terminology, because as I said, I focus on beginners and beginners that take a look at plugins, are beginners who lost their way. Plugins is the last thing they should learn about in my opinion, because a plugin can alter the whole behavior of MV, thus to alter it, you should know how it works normally first, right? :p
    Anyway, it wouldn't hurt anyone to mention this and it is really a good suggestion.

Edit:
    Typos fixed, and I added some text to mention that Control Characters are escape characters. Will upload the new project later though, because I wanna add some
    examples that will show off some manipulated text and in parallel show pictures of
    the syntax used.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Link updated.
    Added some content (examples).
    Corrected a few mistakes here and there.

starlight dream likes this.