Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I know we have a couple of music threads out there already: favorite music, music to make games to, favorite genres etc. Anyway, yesterday my brother and I got into an interesting discussion about the songs that don't get old. See music generally evokes an emotional response of some kind, and our mood, temperament and what's going on in our lives often filters our tastes, at least it does mine.

I like to listen to a lot of classical music when I'm trying to focus on something, bluegrass when I'm feeling wistful, symphonic metal when I'm melancholy or folk and blues when I'm feeling depressed. A bit of punk and alternative when I'm pissed at the world. Most music that I like fits this scheme, where there is a mood that suits it and outside of that mood I'll find myself skipping over it to try to find something that fits my mood better.

What we got to talking about the other day though were the rare exceptions to that rule. The songs that transcend the usual focus to where it doesn't matter if I'm on top of the world, miserable, itching for a fight, sick as a dog or gutshot when those songs come up regardless I always want to listen to them, sing along and they always boost my morale whatever it happens to be at the time. That's what this thread is for, the songs you never skip over and don't seem to get tired of even after hearing them hundreds of times over. That once you've just heard them you have an urge to go back and listen to them again. I'm curious to know what types of songs fit that description for others, and whether there is some kind of correlation to what constitutes such songs for disparate personalities or whether it's all just a matter of taste and preference like most music is.

Simon and Garfunkel actually have several songs that fit this category for me, they are quite prolific in writing songs that I enjoy regardless of the circumstances in which I find myself listening to them. I decided to only pick one though and not make this the Simon and Garfunkel millennial fanboy thread.

Similar in theme to the previous song. In the past six years or so I've come to view this particular song as something of a leitmotif for my actual life in a way.
This song just straight up transfixes me whenever I listen to it, and other than the interconnection of progress with ruin I'm not even completely sure what the song is about as I get different interpretations almost every time I hear it. That children's chorus though, usually those are a mix of cute and headache inducing, but with this song it give me chills and a profound sense of both longing and contentedness every time.
Though every song on this list of mine is older than I am I actually only discovered this one recently. It's really mirrored with their much more popular (Don't Fear) the Reaper thematically but though I enjoy both songs something about this one just feels so much more profound to me. A shame it ended up as obscure as it did by comparison.

This song just never fails to make me smile (also it's pretty much the only song that ever entices me to dance of my own volition). I'm not so purist that I'll disparage Blake Shelton's version, it's a decent cover and it is good in that it resurrects an amazing song for a new audience (though I prefer the original now, Shelton's was my first exposure to the song). But as a Good Ol' Boy myself George Jones' version is much more up my trail.

Last edited:

JtheDuelist

Your Friendly Nieghborhood Stygian Zinogre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
"Dark Song" (aka the Nohr version of Lost In Thoughts All Alone) is my universal song for just about everything- not only can I recite it by memory from heart, but I have an emotional connection to it because it was the very last song I heard before my mom passed away the next day. It also is the last song I heard before Miiverse shut down after me spending a good five years on it. Now that I think about, Dark Song tends the be the last song I always listen to before a BIG change hits my life.

In short, I always think of my mom whenever I hear Dark Song (also, whenever I hear a Rob Thomas/Matchbox 20 song, as that was her favorite musician and band).

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
If it's a song that never gets old, it's probably Bethoveen Fur Elise. One of the earliest songs I've ever learned on the guitar.

For the most recent songs, I always adore the greatest showman soundtrack (all-of-them), very inspiring, enchanting, and it's a great combination of classical and pop music.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hear are a few of mine.

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Tesla - Paradise

Orbital - The Box

Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak

Figure 8 - Memento

Counting Crows - Anna Begins

Jem 24 Lyrics

The Fratellis - She's Not Gone Yet But She's Leaving

Rehab - 1980

Tantric-Love Song

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Slave

vap0re0n

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These are the one's I could think of from the top of my head.
No matter how many times I hear them... still great/catchy.

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

All Star - Smash Mouth

I'm A Believer - Smash Mouth

Numb - Linkin Park

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dance music generally I can enjoy whether I'm happy, sad, angry, or determined. When I'm in a negative mood, it helps me to feel lighter and more upbeat, and when I'm in a positive mood, it enhances it.

Examples:

Some other favourite music of mine of varying genres that I can listen to pretty much in any mood and time of day:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
'Dimmu Borgir' Song never get's old, and the band always changes which is good I hate the same thing over and over again...

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@JtheDuelist Sorry to learn about your mother. Big hugs to you! <3 <3 <3

@Philosophus Vagus

Only 1 song comes to mind instantly! There are probably more to add later but I'll have to think about it.

Lady In Black -by Uriah Heep-
I first heard it, several decades after its release, and it fit a strange experience that I've had at the time, which was eerie.
She really wears black.
It's been with me ever since. I rank it as the best song ever written that I know of.

Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
This song is easily the most listenable song I have heard. It just sounds otherworldly and it has a nice echoey feel.
This song, while sounding overwhelmingly peaceful, can somehow captivate me regardless of mood.
This song has just always stuck with me ever since I played this game. It is basically my theme song along with
Painful Wish, which is possibly my favorite in this incredibly epic soundtrack. Even though it is filled with sorrow, it mainly lifts my mood and comforts me. It gives me the perfect feeling of the time after a rain when there are wonderful smells in the air.
Practically all of the chapter songs in Fire Emblem 4 are unbelievably well composed - they never get tiring throughout the incredibly lengthy chapters they cover. Each song is dramatic and unlike anything you have heard. Disturbance of/in Augustria is the best example for someone who hasn't had the in-game experience.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frogboy a lot of great songs there. Memento particularly is a favorite of mine too but I don't think I've ever felt like playing it over again after one rendition, a bit surprised by that actually.

@vap0re0n Eye of the Tiger is close for me but its been a part of my exercise/spar playlist for so long I'm now only interested in it when I'm feeling melancholy, it reminds me to acutely of what I had to give up after having knee replacement surgery.

@Maj Go away, we don't need your easy answers here... even if they are technically right.

@Matseb2611 Thanks for the introduction to Poets of the Fall. Never heard em before but that last song is amazing. Not much of a fan of the dance music, but then I don't care much for dancing either other than a means to an end haha.

@starlight dream Another amazing song I've never heard before goes onto my commuter playlist(now I know why I made this thread :) ) It is quite catchy, I could see it making my list too in time.

@Jhale M. I'm with you on both Jellyfish sea and the path of radiance OST being amazing, I just can't listen to instrumentals for hours on end personally. I listen to stuff like that or classical when I'm trying to work at my game sometimes but they are just to repetitive for me to enjoy under all circumstance. I like lyrics to think about, getting trapped in my own head listening to instrumentals usually ends up being a depressing experience for me after a while. :(

@people who didn't post links: I might be back later after googling your songs, but right now it is bed time and I've listened to enough new music for one night.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I kind of interpreted "never gets old" as "I never get tired of it". There are very few songs I'd want to put on repeat and listen to over and over again. While most music that I once liked goes stale and doesn't stand the test of time, the songs I listen to are a few of the ones that seem to not tire of within reasonable doses.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Philosophus Vagus : Awesome! Yeah, Poets of the Fall are really talented and sadly they're not so well-known in US and UK. They've released 7 studio albums already, and some of their songs also appeared in video games like May Payne 2 and Alan Wake. :)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mine miiight get a little bit different than one posted here by far.
Honestly, I was having hard time finding one, because my playlist is mixed. Sometimes I want to listen to instrumental music, sometimes with vocal, sometimes just random midi (yes I listen to midi). One I liked also various depending on time (it's like seasonal lol). For about a few months, I liked a music, get bored, look for a new one. Until I found this song sit on my playlist for the longest time, even today. Well, I don't listen it quite much (like set it loop or so), but I still not get bored of it every time it plays. So I guess this pretty much suit the definition :D

Alkemical

Transient Lion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yes, yes, I know that the original was by David Bowie, but the Midge Ure version sounds a lot better to me.

The "I'm unique and special" anthem for angsty teens.

Someone already posted Queen, but I have to say that We Will Rock You is probably gonna remain more well known because of the "Drum, drum, clap!" than it's lyrics. A lot of people who listen to Bohemian Rhapsody don't know the whole song is in English and think the part in falsetto is in Latin, French or Italian.

D.ray

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
That's what this thread is for, the songs you never skip over and don't seem to get tired of even after hearing them hundreds of times over. That once you've just heard them you have an urge to go back and listen to them again.
Well, all of the following fit the criteria for me. I could go on for days, but I'll keep it to this for now.

joombo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bon Jovi - It's My Life
this song always cheers me up

consolcwby

(2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's some oldies but goodies... Seriously!
My programmer's theme song (TAKE THAT COBOL!!!!1!):

My 80s theme song:

The one that started it all - still going strong in 2018!:

Special Mention:

(Okay, I lied, the 5th...)

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A lot of the old classic songs haven't aged well for me. Most of them, with exceptions, while aren't really boring, I don't feel like they are entertaining to listen to.

That's what this thread is for, the songs you never skip over and don't seem to get tired of even after hearing them hundreds of times over. That once you've just heard them you have an urge to go back and listen to them again.
So... any songs that we listen to many times, and not limited to old songs? Hm... :rolleyes:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's see, songs that I'm guaranteed to almost never skip, or will put on repeat sometimes?

I didn't like this game when it was online, but the login screen music was absolutely fantastic

Not much to say, other than, "I really like this song"

I actually like this cover better than the original, even though the original is also quite good (my sometimes-immature sense of humor appreciates its existence)

This track is from a guilty pleasure of mine. Despite being a mobile game, the scores are always really good.

Another guilty pleasure mobile game I play, although infrequently. Their remixes are always top-notch.

...that's all for now I suppose!

PS: These forums really need to cache thumbnails rather than trying to access each video when the page is loaded. Even in spoiler tags, this thread takes awhile to get going because it tries to look up every single video linked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thank you all angels so much! I've received fanarts, fanfics, song cover, and Ko-fis and such wonderful messages already! T uT Look at this message I'm crying (Ko-fi was being mean saying it was anonymous but she was like nooo it's me and showed me).
Working on using DreamX's prefix suffix plugin to create unidentified weapons, armor and sellable loot. The weapons and armor will always draw from the highest tier you have the ability to create, keeping them relevant throughout most of the game. The loot is going to be the fun part! Let's just say I doubt I'll have any unused item entries
... I updated an enemy I drew last year.
My dynamic weather system grows... now with cloud cover influenced by wind speed! (4x playback) (Not final cloud image/map)
Wrote a plugin today that allows you to assign BGM, Battlebacks, and even Battle Entry SE's on a per-troop basis. Introducing a random encounter with a high-pitched Chicken Squeal is worth it all by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GemaMaster