The time has come, people (decision reversed)

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm leaving the gaming industry to answer a higher calling. I just found it too frustrating and unrewarding to pursue. Instead, I'm going into film and animation, where I can start a new journey to create an animated show that tells a story I want to tell.

For those of you who are wondering what will happen to Uniques United, I've decided to make an animated show out of it instead of a game, at least for now. It's a long trip and I don't expect it to be any easier than making games, but this is the price we all must pay for anything worthwhile in life.

I may come back and visit occasionally but I don't expect to be doing much with RPG Maker VX Ace anymore. But it was fun while it lasted, and ultimately, this is what I was able to produce on my own (after 8 months):

Ultimately, I want to be a storyteller, but the medium of expression can change at any time. The biggest lesson I've learned since high school is this:

Don't try to do everything yourself; it's a lonely path to failure. Make some friends, do some favors and get some help. You'll be far better off that way.

I hope to return someday in better circumstances than I left. It was nice knowing you guys.

Take care! :)

I screwed up.​

I just talked with Scythuz about some of these questions I answered and, looking back, there's a lot more to consider when making decisions like these that I wasn't aware of.

I love games, and I love making them, but when I hit a wall and don't know what to do, I say and do things that I thought was smart at the time but later turn out to be misguided. I spend 8 months working on Uniques United, in RPG Maker VX Ace, and then stop working on it, thinking my next endeavor would be any easier. That was my first mistake.

Next, I post a thread in the Farewell section, saying I'm moving from games to animation, where I have even less experience. To make animation, I need a pretty sizable budget and a team of dedicated staff which I obviously do not have. At least with RPG Maker, I can do some things on my own, get a prototype of a game working and show people that this is the foundation for what the rest of the game will entail.

And finally, I come back to this thread, only to realize that this entire discussion was a mistake. All this embarrassment could have been avoided had I just asked you guys what would be the best way to deal with one situation or another, instead of trying to do everything myself, thinking I could figure it out on my own.

Scythuz, I want to thank you for explaining this to me when you did, though I feel pretty stupid at having made this realization now when half a dozen people are reading this thread right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
It's always good if you find your goals even when going a bit from the wrong path to learn things.

It ws a good time, so don't forget what you learned here.

Bonkers

Get ready to be Wowed!
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best of luck to you.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Take care Blinn! I hope you'll find your path in life, be sure to drop by from time to time. Good luck for everything.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good luck Blinn! You seem like a very nice person, I hope you find a more rewarding path and that you check back in on us occasionally. All the best :D

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Best of luck to you, man. 
Do realize that film animation won't be easy, but if your heart i set on something and you work hard enough, you can achieve just about anything.

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good luck on your jounery. As an animator, I have to say it will be worth the trip. 

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Best of luck to you, man. 

Do realize that film animation won't be easy, but if your heart i set on something and you work hard enough, you can achieve just about anything.
I actually have some off-the-cuff experience as a director. I led a small production team on Skype way back in 2012 that did audio dramas.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Good luck! I'd love to see your animated show! =3

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can still be here and actually do your stuff I think. You can do like offer freelance animation services or something for games.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wait, you're quitting after only 8 months? That doesn't sound right. But hey, sometimes you realize it's a bad fit. Best of luck to you on future endeavors.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So you decided to take a road of lesser resistance?

Well, take care.

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So you decided to take a road of lesser resistance?

Well, take care.
I want to make an animated series before I turn it into a game. I was trying to do both at the same time and it didn't work. One day, I'll come back and start on the game.

EDIT: Also, I didn't take this decision lightly. If I took the road of lesser resistance, I would have stayed, but the game wouldn't have been as great had I finished it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I assumed you already had the skills to get started in animation as professionally. It isn't unheard of people schooling themselves before starting their new careers so that they don't get fired on a first day. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James19851989