The Touch the Stars Game Jam Starts Now! $2k in Prizes!

snoqie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
N/A
If we decide to make a progress thread in the Games in Development section, will it still need to follow the 72 hour bump rule? I'm thinking of making one tomorrow or the next day, and I'll be pumping out tons of art assets every day... hopefully (until the jam is over)! :kaopride:

P.S. If anyone else is making a progress thread for their project, please share! I'd love to see your progress and root for your team! We indie devs gotta stick together! :kaoluv:

Aslanemperor

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want to do this so bad, but I'm only just now seeing it and I'm pretty sure I can't finish a game in 4 days. Hopefully there will be another similar thing soon.

snoqie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
N/A
I want to do this so bad, but I'm only just now seeing it and I'm pretty sure I can't finish a game in 4 days. Hopefully there will be another similar thing soon.
You still have 3 weeks! It ends on July 21st. ^^

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If we decide to make a progress thread in the Games in Development section, will it still need to follow the 72 hour bump rule? I'm thinking of making one tomorrow or the next day, and I'll be pumping out tons of art assets every day... hopefully (until the jam is over)! :kaopride:

P.S. If anyone else is making a progress thread for their project, please share! I'd love to see your progress and root for your team! We indie devs gotta stick together! :kaoluv:

The 72 hour bump rule has always pretty much been about not just making empty posts to pop things back to the top. As long as each post contains significant new content to show off, I don't think it is much of an issue.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey everyone, just going to give a heads up as I was asked during stream today.

By sample game, we don't mean an open project. We're not looking for projects people can open to learn how to do what you did. We want projects that are just the elite of the elite to show what MZ can do.

That means that the released game CAN be encrypted if you win the contest. So you can use materials that wouldn't be allowed in an unencrypted project.

jonathanjustin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well... Apparently I need to pay a bit more attention. I somehow missed the "2" in "21st" I thought it was ending on the first. I'll give it a shot. Probably won't win, but a quick fun game should be great!
Good luck, happens to the best of us, looking forward to seeing what you make

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This might be my reason to buy MZ... but I dunno. I'm interested but also in the middle of a college semester and if a good idea doesn't come to me I might never get started. Oh well. :kaoswt2:

I'm still interested in seeing what people will make, cause I liked that part of No Travel the most.

MRD256

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I was just wondering. I wanted to use this generator for the game, but is it legal for the contest?
I know it's old, but I like its style.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thin mints are among the greatest and best of all cookies in the world what the hell is WRONG with some of you people.

anyway okay okay FINE screw all of you (I say that with love, obviously) I'm freaking IN

Seriously: I think this contest is the only way I could be gotten to use MZ, so congratulations, makers of rpg...maker, maybe mv won't be my final iteration of this engine after all, even after promising myself it would...

to the power of silvio dante

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, I was just wondering. I wanted to use this generator for the game, but is it legal for the contest?

I don't know the EULA for that generator, so you would need someone who can read the language being used there to tell you that. As far as our side goes: If you have the rights to use it you can use it.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

The EULA appears to say you can freely use it as long as you credit "Moromaga", "Morokyu", or "Margaret".

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The issue with the terms is that it doesn't specifically mention if commercial usage is allowed or not.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh dear, I'm out. I was going quite well, had a good game idea and progressing at a reasonable pace. Then I made a monumental cock-up and deleted an event that had a whole cutscene in it. Since I didn't realise until I had saved and hit play test, it was irretrievable.

Not sure how I managed that but I was getting a headache at the time that went on to be a three day migraine so by the time I was over that and my brain had cleared (well, as clear as it gets anyway!) I'm afraid I had lost all momentum and drive. So I've added it to the pile of uncompleted things to be cannibalised for ideas at a later date and gone back to my main never-ending project.

So, good luck to everyone still plugging away, I hope no one else is as dumb as me and I look forward to seeing the results.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh dear, I'm out. I was going quite well, had a good game idea and progressing at a reasonable pace. Then I made a monumental cock-up and deleted an event that had a whole cutscene in it. Since I didn't realise until I had saved and hit play test, it was irretrievable.

Not sure how I managed that but I was getting a headache at the time that went on to be a three day migraine so by the time I was over that and my brain had cleared (well, as clear as it gets anyway!) I'm afraid I had lost all momentum and drive. So I've added it to the pile of uncompleted things to be cannibalised for ideas at a later date and gone back to my main never-ending project.

So, good luck to everyone still plugging away, I hope no one else is as dumb as me and I look forward to seeing the results.
awww so sorry to hear that.

jonathanjustin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

awww so sorry to hear that.
Calamitous Magic,I am really sorry this happened to you. You aren't dumb, my computer just crashed and I lost the progress I had made on this project. Honestly both what has happened to you, and on a much smaller scale happened to me. Is a lesson we can bring to the community

WE ALL NEED TO BE BACKING UP OUR PROJECT, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD AND THIS WONDERFUL COMMUNITY

At the very least right-click on the directory that has your project and copy and paste it into another place on your computer.

As a community, we need to start a discussion about how we can better maintain version history of our projects.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

None of us stood a chance against you anyway, so clearly this was the fates letting you know the map contest was enough. ;)

Seriously though, ouch. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you mate. You could maybe join an existing team and still get something out for it!

jonathanjustin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If anyone else wants to autoback up their game files, you can download https://www.dropbox.com/downloading this will create a folder on your computer in the C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Dropbox
save all your projects to this folder from now on.

Now you will be able to have previous versions of your file saved: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/version-history-overview

As a backup to the backup, you can download Google Drive (scroll down and click download under For Individuals). run the installer, and right click your folder for your project and click Google Drive then "Sync this Folder". Because I am crazy I synced the dropbox folder where I am saving all my projects to begin with. I hope this helps. :)

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
None of us stood a chance against you anyway, so clearly this was the fates letting you know the map contest was enough. ;)

Seriously though, ouch. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you mate. You could maybe join an existing team and still get something out for it!
Ha ha, nice of you to say so but I don't think any one was in any danger. I can make pretty maps but I get so caught up in that I can hardly claim to be a great game maker!
I could have recreated the event but having lost the subsequent three days to the migraine and another after that to foggy-can't-be-bothered brain I really just couldn't get the motivation happening again.

Who knows though, there is still a bit of time left. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll get up tomorrow morning full of vim and vigour and have another crack!

jonathanjustin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ha ha, nice of you to say so but I don't think any one was in any danger. I can make pretty maps but I get so caught up in that I can hardly claim to be a great game maker!
I could have recreated the event but having lost the subsequent three days to the migraine and another after that to foggy-can't-be-bothered brain I really just couldn't get the motivation happening again.

Who knows though, there is still a bit of time left. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll get up tomorrow morning full of vim and vigour and have another crack!
never doubt the power of sleep, get some rest my friend!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.
Added a plugin to RMMV Plugin Releases with all relevant info but it looks like the topic wasn't approved for whatever reason. Cool.
Working in the IT industry:
- "How long does it take?".
- "It takes 1 month".
- "What if we add more people to the project?".
- "It would take 2 months".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unit435