RMMV The Unborn Daughter (Demo available!)

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little update/bump here just to inform you that the Snake Agenda update is almost ready to be playtested and so will almost certainly be released in 2-3 days from now!

Okay so this obviously didn't happen. I don't have many excuses to give save that the update, she is very big! And I kind of burned out for a week or so there. But I'm feeling re-energized lately and I will not stop until it is done (hopefully).

Incidentally, Studio Blue were kind enough to do a stream critiquing the first few hours of the current demo build. It's a good watch and lays out a lot of problems that are in the game and, regrettably, problems that will mostly not be fixed in the coming update, on account that it is big enough already and is devouring my whole-ass life. But they'll be addressed, possibly in the patch after that one.

Check it out, it's a fun time.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good luck with the update!! I'm sure you want to get it out, but don't rush it. :D

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey Ouro, don't suppose you have any news on the update, do you?

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You had me at NSFW :p

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Ouro, don't suppose you have any news on the update, do you?
Unfortunately I have been stranded in unfortunate RL circumstance and just plain ill-feeling that's made it hard to muster up the will. It's a very hefty update, one that might almost double the current scope of the demo. I still believe in it however and I'm glad you're still interested.

All of the mechanical gameplay framework of the update is essentially done, as are all the new maps but there's still much to be done when it comes to writing and making sure that it all actually cleaves together!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I know that feeling well, sorry to hear you're struggling.

Anything I can do to help?

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know that feeling well, sorry to hear you're struggling.

Anything I can do to help?
Nah, not much to be done except to chip away at it when I can. Thanks for asking though!

Here, I'll post one of the illustration WIPs just so this thread gets something:

dorothyriahugWIP.png

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey hey! Coming straight to you from the middle of Burnout Kingdom, here's a post on the coming update to assure you guys that stuff is still happening. Eventually.

Here's a look at some of the new mechanical features that's being added in the Snake Agenda content update! Let's start off with a better skill system! Here's an example of the new skill filtering that you'll be able to employ:
unbornpost1.png

unbornpost2.png
unbornpost3.png
unbornpost5.png
unbornpost6.png
unbornpost7.png

Skill categorisation is optional rather than mandatory, just in case someone prefers the old system, so you can toggle it off and on using a key item that you can obtain for free! Each of the four skill types will have the Filter option, allowing you to organise them into categories for quick skill selection. It's a must for a blue mage with an ever-growing skill list!
Additionally, as you may have noticed, all of Dorothy's skills now show up in ascending order of cost. This happens regardless of whether she's using the First Mighty Pen or not. Hopefully this all makes using Dorothy a bit less chaotic in the future.

Oh, and while we're in the Stillwater Lakes fighting frogs, let's go chat up Zaria the librarian real quick:

unbornpost8.png
unbornpost9.png
unbornpost10.png
unbornpost11.png
unbornpost12.png

Party-swapping! In addition to your core party members, you can use the Adventure Ticket to recruit certain NPC's temporarily. Additionally, you'll be able to use summon spells mid-combat for a similar effect!
Summons and press-ganged NPC's are uncontrollable and will do as they please in combat but having the extra members might be just what you need for some particularly arduous dungeons or boss fights. Perhaps quantity will win out over quality?

I'm aware that neither of these two features are particularly exciting but I hope they assure you that progress is being made, even if it is slow. So I'm going to keep posting these dev notes, once a week, until this content patch is finished. Hopefully that motivates me a little more! So, if the Snake Agenda isn't finished by next week, look out for another one of these posts!

dorothy4.jpg

Attachments

• unbornpost5.png
    unbornpost5.png
    1 MB · Views: 1

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As promised, I'm doing a little dev blog every week until I can get the Snake Agenda update done, each post detailing a little more of the upcoming content.

So today I'd like to talk about movement. Being a somewhat-open world game, travel and exploration are very important to the design of Unborn Daughter. And thus far in the demo, you and Dorothy have been limited to relatively mundane methods of locomotion. She's explored the Born World mostly through, well, just walking around on solid ground. And on top of treetops, if you found that secret in Shallas Grove.
But no longer!

Come the eventual Snake Agenda content update, there will be several new methods of exploration that can be unlocked.

1) Hopping
If you've played the demo, you may have noticed that there were a lot of lilypads all over the place. In the near future, Dorothy may unlock one of the dark secrets of frog-kind and in doing so, gain the skill Hop. This allows her to traverse said lilypads, hopping from one to the other at will!
devpost1.png

You can follow these lilypad paths to new areas...
devpost2.png

...reach spots in the map you wouldn't have been able to touch before...
devpost3.png

...and finally reach those pesky chests that have been taunting you!
devpost4.png

2) Falling
Okay, anyone can fall. But it takes a very specific item to fall well. Enter the Gravity Feather:
devpost5.png

With the help of this nifty little item, Dorothy can seek out high places...
devpost6.png

...and contemplate certain options that would be rather morbid otherwise!
devpost7.png

and 3) Dreams.
Using a skill garnered from a certain Emperor, Dorothy can gain the ability to enter the dreams of others. This can unlock anything from minor optional scenes...
devpost8.png

...to entire optional dungeons and strange places, taking place entirely within the realm of dreams!
devpost9.png
devpost10.png

While the main focus of the exploration added to the game will be based around hopping and lilypads, all of these will be in the game once the content update is finished.

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What, the promised weekly devblog is two days late? So it is! I hope you'll like it regardless. These things serve primarily to make sure I keep working after all, so I'll continue to pump them out until the Snake Agenda update is done.

This time I want to talk about Memory Battles.
devblog1.png

Using the services of a special NPC, you'll be able to revisit the past!

devblog2.png
devblog3.png

Here, provided you can pay the cost, you can choose to do battle against bosses that you have already defeated. This is to resolve an issue that several playtesters of the original demo complained about: The need to 'skill-mine' bosses, since they often have unique skills and vanish after beating them once. If you wanted to collect all the skills you'd often have to extend fights in tiresome ways.
This is obviously a problem for Unborn Daughter, a game all about collecting skills! So in the Snake Agenda update, you will be able to summon up the memory of dead bossfights and compel them to fight once more!

Additionally, you can also use this to go back and see the outcome of different time-sensitive choices than the one you made. Choices such as who you spend time with during mid-dungeon campfires or whether or not you chose to storm the walls of High Kallech back when you had the chance, etcetera.

devblog4.png
devblog5.png

You cannot gain XP from fighting these memories, of course. Nor will any of these remembered battles drop physical items like their real counterparts might.
Aside from that however, you are free to fight them in whatever way you desire!
devblog6.png
devblog7.png
devblog8.png

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's time for the weekly devblog again! I'm starting to run out of topics for these things, which is a little problematic considering that these are basically my penance for being so slow at working on the update itself. If you have any ideas of what else could go in these things, feel free to contact me!

But anyway, for this week I'm gonna talk about one of new areas that'll be open in the new content!
mappost1.png
Those who played the original demo will be familiar with this overworld map. Demo-players will also know that a lot of these areas were off-limits. But no more! Once the Snake Agenda update is finally (finally) done, every spot on this doofy little map will be explorable and open for play!

Let's take a look at Stillwater Lakes, shall we?
mappost2.png
This area is in the original demo too but only the most southern stub of it was accessible, with no random encounters and with an NPC blocking off the only way up further north. But in the new content, a certain event will cause that particular character to leave, opening up the rest of the Stillwater Lakes for you to traverse!

mappost3.png
mappost5.png
mappost4.png
mappost6.png

The Lakes are quite an expansive region, full of strange things to find, puzzles to solve and unique monsters whose skills you must plunder! But it's not the biggest region around, not by a long shot. That honour goes to Mt Recludere, the mountain north of Threnody. In the current demo, the single largest region is the Brack, a frozen forest hiding a number of dismal locations. With the release of the Snake Agenda however, Mt Recludere will outstrip it easily.
You can check it out next week, if the update isn't done by then, when I'll post a bunch of Mt Recludere screenshots in lieu of an actual devblog topic!

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
unbornsmol.png

Running really late on those devblogs, huh? It turns out that they take a lot more effort than I think anyone was really getting out of them! Rest assured however, stuff is still happening with this update. Mostly in fits and bursts but still.

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can check the status info of enemies (and party members) by mousing over them now! And by 'now' I mean 'in the future, in the update'.

unborn185.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Working in the IT industry:
- "How long does it take?".
- "It takes 1 month".
- "What if we add more people to the project?".
- "It would take 2 months".
Doing RPG Maker News for 16th September 2021

Stream is live! I am currently doing pixel art and will be practicing shading! Feel free to drop by!
wow, Surface Tension is really one MF of an FPS level huh
So, I got let go from my current job because my skill set didn't align with the department's goals anymore. I have some hope, because I am currently in contact with a manager from a different department, and they are desperate for more employees. We'll see what happens... :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sedenho93