The Vendor [v1.0.2 available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Galenmereth, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Notice: This thread is for the IGMC 2014 version of the game. Later on in the thread I've been posting development pictures and videos from the commercial reimagining of the game, so please keep in mind that what you download here will be the original IGMC game (with bug-fixing patches included).​
     ​
    -----------------------​
     ​
    Have you ever wondered what it must be like being a vendor? You know, those helpful people who just happen to be in the right spot at the right time, selling you those potions you so desperately needed? Did you ever consider that perhaps these people were not there by chance–or by destiny–but rather by their own free will? That they have a life? Are you tired of questions? Have some answers!

[​IMG]

It's fresh out of the oven, steaming hot and smells delicious! Go get your share of the greatness that is The Vendor.

Do you happen to have a Mac? Then click here for a Mac version.

IGMC2014 game page (please vote for me if it tastes good!): http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/486

Recent updates:

Update 1.0.2: Minor balance fix (every hero except The Warrior may now wear a leatherless poncho, as intended) and a confirmation dialogue when selling has been added. A tree was also cut down, and an annoying treestump that everyone seemed to run into was also dug up and thrown out. Get it fresh from the kitchen: As before, it is perfectly safe to copy your save file(s) over from the old to the new folder. Click the big underlined text above to get it.

Update 1.0.1: A rare bug was found and patched. You can safely copy your old save over to the new game, and that will fix the issue retroactively. Most likely you won't bump into the bug at all, but if you want to be 100% sure, download the updated version :)
    [​IMG]
    In this game, you are the hero vendor. Like always, you will stock up on tons and tons of items–but this time, you get to make a profit! Because who isn't tired of smacking an Ogre silly to get his purse of gold, only to hand all of it over to the next vendor you meet to upgrade your gear. Well fear not; because all that fighting?
    [​IMG]
    There will be no evil fighting done by you this time around. That's up to the heroes to do. Your job will be to sell them the necessary items to stay alive, buy their hard earned special loot from them when they're done smashing faces, and then sell it or trade it–for a profit, of course! What you will be doing is visit pubs (strictly for work!); find the best prices on items; haggle and trade; examine the areas and enemies that the heroes will be fighting next, making sure you can sell them something that'll see them through the day. And get their hard earned gold into your pockets! 

[​IMG]
    The Warrior
    [​IMG] "They've probably seen mah bonnie coopon awreddy, ye nerd."

The Witch
    [​IMG] *sigh* "Do we have to do this?.."

The Cleric
    [​IMG] "Honored to make your acquaintance, good sir- ah, madam?

The Thief
    [​IMG] "You never saw me, alright?"
    [​IMG]
    Something about a thousand pictures needed to spell a word. All of these are from the early stages of alpha beta omega development; please don't scrutinize them too hard. They will be upgraded in the not-too-distant future, possibly for a small fee.

Home Town, from a bird's eyes

[​IMG]
    The Warrior–it speaks!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The making of a forest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sometimes a picture is not enough. Sometimes you need 23.98 pictures beamed into your eyes every second to get the message across. Such is life. Again, these are betakaroten (or something alpha) footage from the best game not yet released.

Important: In the following video, The Warrior was decidedly unpolished in his accent. Please overlook its crudeness.

Sincerely yours,

The Cleric

Healer and Caster

Founder of Castles of Sand

Involuntary Advisor to The Thief

This letter has been scanned for paper-eating vermin with Mc.Coffee Antivermin 2.01

[​IMG]

You can treat this as a list of VIP that are so awesome they should be the first to get drunk at the pub!

• Galv
    • Hime
    • Myself, for myself
    • Shaz
    • Tsukihime
    • Victor
    • Yanfly
    • Zeus
    Rest assured, this vendor will have acquired all the necessary legal documentations before the game goes to the printer.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  2. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    WOW Awesome xD! it seem so much funny!

Galenmereth likes this.
  3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is this what I have to go against?! *Throws mouse in garbage* Done. I want nothing to do with this contest if I have to go against this.

In all seriousness, this doe's look good. Can't wait to play it!

Galenmereth likes this.
  4. AoDLegacy

AoDLegacy Fantasy Fanatic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Seems kinda funny, definitely might play it once it comes out just to see how it goes.

5. Zyoshiro

Zyoshiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So its like Recettear. Good!

6. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The comparison seems inevitable, but I can safely say it plays quite differently :) But it definitely is that kind of game sans direct control over combat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    LUNARMAX likes this.
  7. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Never play this game but I have to admit myself my game was a little afectef by To love ru trouble~

I will wait to play this game~

Galenmereth likes this.
  8. Dream3r

Dream3r 90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Going to enjoy this game, I look forward to competing with you!

Galenmereth likes this.
  9. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Be the hero vendor! -Dalph approves (as long as You Are Not The Hero in any way, it's always cool)-

Don't fight evil! -Dalph approves!!!!! It's useless to struggle against the awesome evil forces! Why bother? Better ignore!-

Meet the heroes! -Dalph is unsure...: ehr, ok I guess...-

Shots of a screen! -Dalph approves the nice RTP mapping-

Galenmereth threw also a forest mapping tutorial into this thread if you haven't noticed, much kudos to this guy and the originality of his game.

*Dalph likes that witch and he can't wait to play this game*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    Bukarett, Susan, Deceius and 2 others like this.
  10. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

You wanted updates, didn't you? Of course you do! Silence means "yes", but that's not why I tied you to your chairs and put giant muffins in your mouths. No, no. That's to stop the squealing when you see these new pieces of modern art! Feast your eyes on more pictures.

New feature: Area title text!

[​IMG]

A dimly lit town with light effects and snow – NEXT GEN IS HERE!

[​IMG]

The World Map! So awesome I put it in spoiler tags so it doesn't overheat your screen's pixel buffer capacitor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the unseen realm, the game is doing good. The quest system is pretty much wrapped up and sent to the factory, so now we just have to wait for the quest writer gnomes to type out all those letters, and bam!–we're golden. A lot of other small details have been ironed out and polished behind the scenes, and soon the alpha is ready for testing.

Expect the game to be out before the deadline +- a minute or two and for it to be a guaranteed GOTY2014++ game of AAA magnitude, several buzzwords, at least three alternate costumes, and many more features not mentioned!

Run and preorder!

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) and Dalph like this.
  11. Memoski

Memoski Iron 'moski Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    This looks great. Indeed, it has that Recettear vibe, or that of some flash games here and there, but this definitively stands out on its own. Magnificent work with the maps, and another victory for capitalism.

I'll keep track of this, and I'm certain that you'll keep delivering.

Galenmereth and Polite Whale like this.
  12. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You've got a funny sense of humour, Galenmereth. I can't wait to see some of that in the game.

Galenmereth likes this.
  13. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still alive! And so is the game. All systems are 99.999999% done, so now all there is left to do is throw a few more hundred thousand dollars on the pyre, and look in awe as the smoke magically polishes the game for me. Also, vegetables:

[​IMG]

14. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mimironi, frrrosty and Dalph like this.
  15. frrrosty

frrrosty Spiteful Crow Member

First Language:
    English
    Love the sense of humor with this one, and it looks great on top of that.  Eager to see more!

Your text (both the title logo and the area text) looks fantastic, really polished.

Galenmereth likes this.
  16. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Or should I say: the game is complete! All the content and day one dlc has been completed, and now the remaining time will be spent on polish and coming up with some way to force microtransactions into it. I'm thinking harvesting timers, gold bundles and what have you. $599 for 499G sound good?

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for the motivation you've provided over this past month, and to everyone who's been working on their own games and sharing their progress: seeing you all doing your best alongside my own efforts has been awesome and inspiring! Obviously, my game will be the best game, but it's nice to see you try~ I'm sorry for this joke plz forgive me

[​IMG]

Directly to you! Very soon. Please understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Dalph likes this.
  17. PheonixDeath1

PheonixDeath1 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Is there a demo 

and i why did you say motivation provided over the past months if it's supposed to be a 1 month project 

(The pheonix has his eyes on you)

Also this is non rpg right?

18. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No demo: I have alpha and beta testers, but I want it to be a new experience for as many people as possible.

Haha, you caught months before I fixed it... It was a typo; I'm a bit high on coffeine. I actually started working on the game the 3rd of June, I'm that good.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is RPG. I have to figure that out, because I'm not entirely sure. But you do buy and trade items and gear, selling items to heroes that defeat monsters, and there is a story. But where is the line in the sand between RPG and non-RPG?

19. PheonixDeath1

PheonixDeath1 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it might be non rpg cause when people think of the rpg genre it is usually leveling up, building a team with different classes, completing quests to level up and get new gear etc.. While what i get from your description of the game is that it is gathering resources plus intel on the areas that the heroes are going to next and making sure you can sell them items that are apropriate for the task at hand.

20. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since I had some time, I've been working on improving the title screen. Getting there one adjustment and squint at a time~

[​IMG]

Edit: This just in: Custom art.

[​IMG]

Credits go to this glorious guy: http://yeppoh.stage-select.com

Dalph likes this.