The Vendor [v1.0.2 available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Galenmereth, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's crunch time, and I'm hard at work being whipped by an English woman for my grammar. Mmmm whips. While I'm working on deleting commas, please, take, a look, at some, random, gameplay footage:

2. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain Veteran

First Language:
    English?
    0:10 - Hmmf? Po"f"ions?

... That's the one thing I found. Others are great, really.

3. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's on purpose :D

4. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain Veteran

First Language:
    English?
    Oops. Sorry man. 

I'm hoping I got whipped by some native English speaker to fix the grammar in my project. One person helped me but... ;cough; he/she seems to be shocked of the game. 

5. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

The doves have been unleashed and the game is being spread with the wind to all corners of our spherical world: we are golden!

Here's the IGMC2014 game page: http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/486

Want direct VIP access to the downloads? I've got you covered:

Main download (self extracting .exe cube)https://tdd-the-vendor.s3.amazonaws.com/The%20Vendor.exe

Mirror Amazon S3 link (.zip)https://tdd-the-vendor.s3.amazonaws.com/The%20Vendor.zip

Mirror dropbox link (.zip)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73268/rmvxace/the_vendor/The%20Vendor.zip

Mimironi and Dalph like this.
  6. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm playing through.. and I know I'll be way past the hour mark cause I'm a horder so I'm collecting stuff off the world map and doing trades for the rare items. Anyway, I went to sell to the heroes for their second fight and The Theif told me they had 4870 gold (divided by two) would be close to their total gold. Well, I had about 5k worth of stuff to sell to them and they bought it all. So not sure if it does the running total of gold spent. But it's the only issue I've come close to finding :)

It's definitely a different kind of game and fun

7. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, that might be a misunderstanding based on how it's written:The Thief half-whispers to himself (faded text) "should I say X gold divided by two? Nah, that's too close to the truth", but that means they have exactly X gold to spend. So if you had about 5k worth of stuff, my guess is you managed to milk them for pretty close to exactly 4870 :) I will do a double check on this system though, but it should be correct. Thanks for mentioning it.

8. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I maybe have missed the whispering part that suggested he should fib :) I am pretty tired

9. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a spreadsheet with all the prices, trade possibilities, and combat values, which I plan to share with the public after the game has been out for a while and if people enjoy the game. I've built the game around the concept of maximizing profits being a metagame, so if people are interested, the spreadsheet should make that fun. Since there's randomness in certain parts of the game, there will always be room for improving, too.

10. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have not played much of this yet, because it seems like it requires brain cells and I haven't grown those back after the last few days, but! I've played enough to know that this is my sense of humour right here. I chuckled quite a bit and look forward to playing it with a fresher head so I can actually, you know, read how to play and not rush out into the wilderness sell someone a potion and have them be upset when almost everyone got killed. haha...

Anyway! I just wanted to say, thanks for the laughs!! I look forward to playing more and good luck in the contest! :>

Galenmereth likes this.
  11. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you Makio-Kuta, I'm actually feeling quite honored that you popped in here to say you've been trying it :D Really looking forward to hear what you think when you progress further. And don't be afraid to experiment in the game (and kill the heroes a few more times); it is relatively forgiving in the grand scheme of things. Oh, and then there's that proverb: Talk to everyone you meet and you'll stay on your feet!

I haven't had a chance to check out the game you worked on yet--so many games!--but good luck to you guys too!

There's also a little homage in the game further on that I'm pretty sure you will enjoy even more than most~

12. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh! Honoured? That makes me feel like someone important. This game was one I knew I needed to play though, from the screenshots during development. You had me at that Broccoli screenshot. hahaha vegetables.

That is good to know though! I do love me some heroes I can accidentally get killed multiple times.
    I greatly anticipate this homage. and if you get a chance to play our game down the road, I hope you enjoy it!

Galenmereth likes this.
  13. runic

runic Basketcase Member

I laughed at the NEXT GEN IS HERE on your screenshots. Laughed pretty hard. Going to check this one out for sure, great job on the visuals!

Galenmereth likes this.
  14. migidu

migidu Villager Member

well put game, took me 40 minutes exploring and getting the first hero mission cleared. if i may, the gameplay is quite interesting, clues are provided what to pick for the heroes, and playing this on hard core requires MATH as there is an npc that does the calc of success. the accents hurt my eyes reading and stings my brain interpreting. humor is good in storyline and environment where all the booze in the pub knocks them out. the heroes are well made with different personalities.

after awhile you can actually memorize, making the world small was smart. and the random generation of loots with a chance to squish them was good. basically a trading game that simulates that of a vendor. this does not mimic recettear.

it would be great if there was a log in game rather than writing down notes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    Galenmereth likes this.
  15. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just finished playing Indrah's game, now I can enjoy this one too (I'm sure it will be so much fun).

Feedback will come soon.

Susan and Galenmereth like this.
  16. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the feedback migidu! A log of all the hints you've found is a nice idea, and that's something I think I want to implement for future updates--especially 2.0.

Looking forward to hear what you think, runic and Dalph. Be aware that there is a bug that was found by a player where if you don't talk to a bartender (or anyone else that asks for a tip) after completing the first quest, you can't ask for more gold for an item than what you currently have when selling to the Heroes. Obviously this is a pretty rare bug to bump into, but be aware of it. I have patched it, however, so if you want to make sure you don't bump into it, download v1.0.1 here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73268/rmvxace/the_vendor/The%20Vendor%201.0.1.zip

You can safely copy your existing save from your old folder into the new: the patch works retroactively on existing saves.

Dalph likes this.
  17. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uh, hi... What will it be?

I can't stop laughing at this thing, it's so dayum hilarious...lmao
    You guys have no idea how much unique and original is the gameplay of this game, like Tirawmisu this is totally different from the rm games that we usually see around.
    It was very fun to walk around talking to people, searching ingredients and trading\buying\selling things for the heroes.
    The RTP mapping and the music choices are pretty good, I like also the light effects that you used (the atmosphere and the music in Nordkapp are so dayum lovely).
    There are also some hilarious ideas here and there, like the Mystic who can foresee the Heroes fate or the Informative Well (epic).I finished the game but I still have to defeat the Gruesome Gunnar, I think I'll do it tonight if I find some spare time.

The best character is obviously The Witch (you kretin...ahahahah).

An awesome thing about this game is the high replay value, I'm tempted to start a new playthrough to make more profit and improve my score (to make my dad proud, ahahah).

-
    Also, I know that this is not what I think...but heck if it fits with my thoughts! This image is so perfect.
    My only chance with her is to make her drunk! And also the broccoli trade is so bang on...I hate broccoli IRL! lmao
    [​IMG]
    -
    Here's a minor text-colour error (the only issue that I found):
    [​IMG]

-

Truly an amazing little game, It was funny as hell...I enjoyed it. Good job Galenmereth.

I hope you'll resume the work on Intra Mundum after this one (or maybe make a sequel of it one day).

oh...I squished this post by accident.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    Susan and Galenmereth like this.
  18. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for playing the game Dalph, and I'm glad to hear you enjoy it so much :D It also seems that the humor was spot on for a lot of players including you, which is especially awesome to hear!

I'll be answering some feedback and questions in the spoiler tag below:

If you do start a new game, remember the button code from the credits. It might not be obvious where I mean for you to input it, but it's during the blue logo when you start a new game. Press and keep holding down the following keys: Down, then Interact (Z default), and then Cancel/Menu (X default), and you'll get 3 alternate characters to choose from.

Regarding the text-color error: That was actually intentional as an obscure parody on how all items are usually mentioned in singular x amount. So instead of that, this time it's Tomato as usual with es added in normal text... Yeah, that is definitely way too obscure and does look like an error >_>

When it comes to Intra Mundum, I'm actually not sure. With this game I kind of found a sweet spot for myself in terms of style: I really did enjoy making a humorous game that doesn't take itself too seriously more than the very serious nature of Intra Mundum. Right now, I'm not in the mindset to go back to a serious game. Instead, I'm already working on expanding the idea of The Vendor, refining the gameplay, and adding the stuff I didn't have the time for for the IGMC deadline :D

Dalph likes this.
  19. Jaide

Jaide "This guy are sick." Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks like it contains all the stuff I loved about Recettear without all the stuff I hated about it. Giving it a try!

EDIT: I'm already into this enough that I'm making notes about what items I need to get what. Simple yet addicting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    Galenmereth likes this.
  20. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Hey I tried your game. Your thread/presentation made it really attractive.

Liked:

* Unique gameplay. I do like the concept a lot.

* The speed of the game, the size of the map, the walking distances, and other little considerations made the game comfortable and gave it a polished feel. It was without annoying elements.

* Great use of visual effects to make the resources shine.

* Funny dialogue whenever accents weren't involved lol. Sword in the sky, you can't explain that!

Disliked:

* The player is uninitiated. I was pumped to play The Vendor but this really brought it down for me unexpectedly; it's my only criticism. Despite the help dialogues and the Tent guy, it's not totally clear how to do better. In order to win, i just stocked up on recommended items without knowing how much of a difference x or y makes and what is random. This made it hard for me to "get into" the game, or maybe i was just expecting a puzzle that had obvious pieces. @-@;

Issues: no errors encountered. I think the only thing was that i could walk through the dancing guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    Galenmereth likes this.