The Vendor [v1.0.2 available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Galenmereth, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I forgot to mention something in my review a few days ago that popped into my mind. I get some noticeable FPS lag in Nordkapp, and I'm not one to pick up on that easily, it gives me a bit of a headache. My computer isn't exactly state-of-the-art, but it should be able to handle that.

Not sure that you would be able to do anything about that, but thought you should know.

Galenmereth likes this.
  2. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Copy/Pasting from another thread:

I just played The Vendor.

Graphics are beautiful.  Game concept is interesting and different.  Whole thing looks very polished.  I did notice one small bug in the pub in the town to the south (on the water's edge) where there was a shiny spot to pick a wall nut - on the wall, hehe, and you pick it, it says you accidentally crushed it, but the shiny spot doesn't go away.

I didn't stick to playing it because I found it very difficult for the heroes to actually get success. Tried again, accidentally bought ten times the amount of a product than I wanted, sold most of the stock back but at a loss, of course, and then I found that the heroes had next to no money left to buy the stuff I'd just bought anyway (so, of course, they died again).

So, I think there are possibly some balancing issues that could be addressed if a larger game based on this was to be released, but I do think that that would be worth it, because this is a really good example of a game.  I'm giving it 4/5.

Galenmereth likes this.
  3. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the review guys and gals! I'll respond to each in turn. :)

Glad to hear it! Would love to hear what you think when you're done with the game :)

Thanks for the review theadellie. I'm glad to hear about the things you liked, it's always nice to see people notice the small considerations (like small map sizes and overall flow) :D Like quite a few other people the accents seem to have been a small annoyance to you as well, and I've definitely listened to this feedback. If I do use accents in future games, I'll make them less "realistic" and more try to hint at accents while still make the text remain easily legible.

I understand what you mean about uninitiated--the game really doesn't hold your hand too much, and there's a lot of pieces you have to "puzzle" together on your own through all the different hints and dialogue. And even then, some trial and error is involved to understand the deeper parts of it. The puzzle does suffer from a lack of obvious pieces indeed, even though there are actually many ways to solve each of the quests--some much more profitable than others.

The dancing guys were made to be walked through because I didn't want the player to be able to hinder their dance, actually. But you're not the first to think it's a bug ;)

Yeah, I think that's due to the combination of fog and lighting script. It's something I'm going to look into more thoroughly now afterwards. I did notice it myself too, but at seemingly random points--it wasn't consistent, and it wasn't always it happened at all.

@Tiaralia: Since your post is right above mine, I'll respond without quotes:

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad to hear people appreciating the visuals despite them being "RTP". The bug in the pub is actually meant as a joke, and the idea is that it's the picture you're examining: the dialogue that comes up is meant to parody what actually can--and probably will--happen when you pick materials out in the field (and wall nuts from walls in Green Hills). I was a bit eager to get that artwork into the game somehow--which was made specifically for it--and I realize it's a bit too obscure for a joke, since quite a few people have thought of it as a bug.

It can be hard to get back on your feet if you mess up too much at the start. There are some inherent balancing issues here that can make the game a bit too harsh when that happens. Of course I could ask people to load an earlier save or start anew with their newfound knowledge, but I'm instead looking to revamp the trading system--replacing it with a haggle system instead of an overall limited amount of gold for the heroes--and other elements to take most of the guesswork out of the equation. I have plans for a larger game based on the formula, but it will deviate a bit from what is here right now.

Again, thank you all very much for your time with the game!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  4. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I figured that was probably the case (the FPS drops caused by scripts).

Also, I had no problem with the accents (I have ran into that sort of writing a few times before), and did realize what you were trying to do with the picture in the bar. Though if people who get it are in the minority, you probably would be better off trying to 'fix' it.

Galenmereth likes this.
  5. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I think I'll rather fix the picture and make it look framed, and then write a humorous title for it that gives you the impression. Or not have it in the actual game at all, but it is so hard to resist since it is lovely~

6. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I think it's fine in the game, but lose the sparkle after the first time.  The player can still look at the picture more if they want to, but the game isn't telling them they can get something by looking there when they can't.

7. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    The game is very charming and fun, I haven't progressed a lot in it yet, as I was having some bad luck and eventually the heroes were broke, heh.

I like the fun dialogues and the world map is quite practical. Your mapping is very good, simple and pretty, I'm happy to try the game.

I hope to return with news of completing it :D

Galenmereth likes this.
  8. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Silvestre: Thank you :) I hope you enjoy the game, and look forward to hear what you think when/if you beat it!

[​IMG]

If so, have I got news for you? Yes I do! My team of very talented programmers--Lefty and Righty--have come up with a magical way to let you play The Vendor on your Mac without installing Windows. Because we understand that windowless basements are the best, we really do. Now, with that said, our own Mac is a bit... broken, shall we say. So we only know that it should work in window mode, and that it runs perfect on our hardware. Fullscreen might work, but we haven't been able to test it due to a broken graphics card... But if you feel like giving it a try, download is below. This is the latest version (1.0.2).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
    Dalph likes this.
  9. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

*note: I played this game after a 3 hour session to finish another, so I was noticeably tired, and it shows in the video.

+Appealing premise.

+Short intro is nice (tho I still have no idea of how to play…)

+Open world is nice.

-No ingame tutorials outside just reading a bunch of books, all at the same time. In that aspect the game fails to teach the rules properly.

-The game has a very odd introduction where nothing is properly explained, and even after two tries and selling exactly what they asked, the heroes died. It definitely needs much better introduction to the mechanics.

-Mapping is okay, but the lighting is ridiculous. It’s day outside and dark inside, the snow map is horribly dark for no apparent reason, etc. The light effects are abused for no reason and it suffers from it.

-The “oops, squished the item” should be taken to the back and SHOT. That is not a mechanic I want in any game, to randomly FAIL for no reason other than “well f*ck you”.

To the developer: I feel like I missed most of this game’s charm. The lack of proper integrated explanation cased me to just be extremely frustrated with the game and after a couple of failures I just gave up. I just remember this frustrating me :<

Galenmereth likes this.
  10. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for taking the time to give feedback Indrah, it's greatly appreciated. Even if you were, as you said, tired after a 3 hour session, it's also valuable to see what someone thinks when their mind might not be entirely in the mood to figure things out. And I agree wholeheartedly that the learning curve is sort of like a brick wall: the game does break with convention, and doesn't really ease you into the workings of it. The idea is that failing is ok, but it's not really made clear, and that has understandably frustrated quite a few people :)

And I'm not entirely happy with the end result of the mechanics, and sadly the time restraint kept me from bringing it up to the desired level. But all of the feedback I've received has been considered, chewed on, and stored as reference. The Vendor isn't done, but I need some more time to build up enough creative energy to remake it into what I want it to be.

Again, thank you very much for your time Indrah!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  11. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just a small update: TheVendor won Humble Bundle Choice for RPG in the IGMC 2014! I am super ultra mega happy about this, as it feels incredible being noticed among so many -- and so many great! -- games submitted to this contest. A huge thank you and congratulations to all of the other developers that participated in this contest and shared your progress here on these forums as you went along: your efforts inspired me to keep going with my own project. And of course, thank you to everyone that played The Vendor and shared their experiences and feedback with me; it's been incredibly helpful!

Wavelength and Dalph like this.
  12. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

After winning the Humble Bundle Choice RPG award in the IGMC2014 contest I was contacted by Degica, where they asked me if I was willing to go commercial with the game. As a one man "indie" (or maybe living room developer is more appropriate?), my first and foremost concern is retaining my creative freedoms and rights to my game. After emailing back and forth for a while, it turned out to be a really good offer that will benefit the further development of the game greatly. I will get help with things like testing and potential custom assets, as well as publishing; I will be able to publish the game to way more channels and devices than I could ever hope for alone, while I retain complete control over the game and all the rights to it. 

Making games is very hard work, 
    as most of you no doubt know intimately from personal experience. I need some help, and getting that help for free only gets me so far. The benefits of signing up with Degica for publishing and assistance are many, and by taking a load off my shoulders it means more time for actually developing the game, and it enables me to polish the game up to a higher standard altogether: it's a great deal. 

It does however mean that a new and improved The Vendor will be a commercial game with a price-tag attached. However, I still remain 100% in charge, and the development work all falls on me as before. It remains my game entirely, and I'll make absolutely sure it's worthy of the money asked! But everyone will be able to try out the new and improved game for free in the form of a demo.

[​IMG]
    I also want to mention a few things I have planned to do with the game now that I'll expand on it. There will be a separate post with way more details soon, but for now I can share the following rough outlines: 

• Item stats should not be vague or hidden. In fact, I'd like to remove "stats" and focus on attributes instead: heavy, light, sharp, blunt, elemental, etc. The core gameplay of figuring out what works best while earning as much money as possible on selling it remains, but I want it to be more logical. But I want there to be room for experimentation; there should be an inherent risk/reward relationship where trying out things outside of the "safe zone" could potentially yield great reward. 
    • Combat summary will be visualized when the heroes tell you how it went around the campfire. The reason isn't just that it'll be more fun to watch, but also that the hints as to what went right or wrong can be made clearer without spoon feeding it through extensive text dialogue. This was the original plan -- and there is actually some code for it already in place -- but it had to be cut due to time constraints. 
    • A more interesting ingredient system. While it's fun to squash wall-nuts with your fists, I would like to find a better way to solve the dilemma of "if the player goes broke, how will they get back on their feet?". 
    • Improved trading system. 
    • A bestiary that automatically logs hints and tips you gather. This is one heavily requested feature which I'm very happy to implement. 
    Obviously I will also add more areas to explore, and more stuff overall, but I also have to be careful not to let the project spiral completely out of creative control now that there's not a super strict deadline. Rest assured that I've listened to every single piece of feedback I've gotten so far, and I'm taking it all into consideration when going forward. 

And on that note I'd like to again thank everyone who played the game so far, and a double thank you to everyone who shared their feedback with me: it's been invaluable! 

Thanks for reading, and see you next update~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  13. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    WOW lol By degica itself!? Awesome and yes me to I found this game awesome and really cool!  so in simple if degica begin to produce with you the game this will be a supra custom game : D!?

and I guess the story will be a little more extended and all ?

14. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It won't be all custom, but I will have the possibility now to give it its own custom resources to make it more of a unique experience. And the story will be extended, as well as the gameplay in general. The areas that are teased in the game -- desert town and floating island in the sky -- will be included as originally planned, and I'll make many changes to make the game more fun to play. Some of those plans are listed in my previous post, but there are many more than that, too :D

15. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    HOOOO~ okai 

I hope you don't mind if I PM you for suggest you some idea for improve the System of the game : D!?

Galenmereth likes this.
  16. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is awesome news, congratulations!! :D

17. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel lied to. This is beaming 29.98 pictures per second. You're a phony!

18. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Of course not :) I'd love to hear your ideas!

@mostly useless: Thank you, and many congratulations on your own win! :D

@touchfuzzy: Uh oh, found out by the lead eagle... But underpromising and overdelivering isn't a crime, is it? Also, if I say "get dizzy", does this mean I got the reference finally?

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) likes this.
  19. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Congratulations on your win and on going commercial!

Just curious if you're planning to (or able to) publish your games on mobile like Undefeated?

Marsigne, Dalph and Galenmereth like this.
  20. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you Susan! Yes, mobile platforms are actually planned and is something I'm really looking forward to :D

Susan likes this.