The Vendor [v1.0.2 available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Galenmereth, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking forward to it! Good luck!

Marsigne and Dalph like this.
  2. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will accept the additional 1728 images. This time.

3. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought I'd bump to show off some development progress so far. My main focus has been on rewamping the game's interface and menus. As the game is very menu-intensive, it needs to "feel" tactile and nice to navigate them. With that in mind, I've been working on rewriting all elements custom for the game, with animations and sound effects to make it pleasant to navigate in and out of menus. Have a look at a work-in-progress video:

The scripts are custom made for the game by me, and all animations are handled using the Easing Script linked in my signature.

PS: If you have a super modern browser, and can play off HTML5 video, use this link for 60fps video goodness:

https://fancygaemwebms.s3.amazonaws.com/the_vendor_remade_info_window_with_sfx.webm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
    nio kasgami and Susan like this.
  4. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love the nice, clean and simple interface.

It scrolls smoothly too.

Marsigne and Dalph like this.
  5. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've added hero information to the info window, as well as information for the player, like gold, map name, playtime and steps taken. I'll add more info entries for the heroes as I modify some background systems. You can take a look at the current WIP version below:

6. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wasn't at my home computer (About 10 hours away from home helping my dad with his new house) when you gave us the news that you were going commercial. So congratulations, of the games I played that were in the contest, yours is probably the most deserving of expansion (Not that I played all of them, not by a long shot). It's original and the ideas work, even if the execution (In my opinion) was a bit off.

I look forward to buying the new version.

By the way, nice looking interface,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
    Galenmereth likes this.
  7. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In the video above, I show off some new elements to the game. First and foremost, the completely rewritten - from scratch - interface system. It features what I've dubbed the "Active Help System", where in any menu you can hit the help key (default D) to show "hotspots" which you can navigate to, to see more information about this element. For some elements it provides a simple explanation, while in others it can show tooltips for quickly perusing some stats for equipment. 

The info window you see in the window is open by default, to make it quick and painless to keep tabs on the Heroes' current equipment, quest and gold (a much request feature). 

This is where you also notice that equipment now have visible stats. All equipment has a quality stat, weapons and armor have a weight stat, and an attack and defense stat, respectively. 

In addition, all equipment can have up to two skills. These will be available to the heroes when this equipment is equipped. Equipment quality is determined by multiple factors, but let me tease you a bit and say, yes, you can meld equipment to improve and even change skills and attributes. 

Excited yet? :D

8. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Compendium of Creatures

This is perhaps one of the most wanted features for The Vendor: A way to review all the information you've gathered about monsters and other creatures. Well, it's also (almost) done! I've got the functional and most of the visual parts of the interface in place now, and you can check it out in the video below:

The Compendium will automatically take note of hints you receive from NPC's, and you will be able to quickly access it, and sort the list of creatures in multiple ways (A-Z / Z-A and order of discovered is shown in the video).

A few neat features that you might not have noticed in the video:
    • Creatures remain sorted; when you flip between the full page infos on creatures, it flips in the order you sorted the index.
    • If you flip to a different creature than the one you selected in the index, if you return to the index, the cursor moves to the last viewed page's creature.
    • There's a sorting key on the keyboard and controllers, which will sort all interfaces. If you use a mouse, you can click the sort buttons directly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
    Geoff Moore likes this.
  9. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I still haven't played this, because I am a terrible person. The interface stuff looks incredible!! Was the page flipping (referring specifically to the scaled one in your status update) hard to do? I need something similar for Ko's journal in my own post-comp release...

Good work!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
    Galenmereth likes this.
  10. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks mate! And don't feel terrible, because I also feel terrible for not having played your entry yet... So our terribleness should cancel out and make it alright. Right? :D

The page flipping was relatively easy once all the other elements were in place. But I've rewritten the whole Scene_Menu (and tons of windows and classes) from scratch to support this interface system, so overall it's been quite a bit of work. But depending on how you want to implement it, you could actually achieve something similar using some creative in-editor Eventing, pictures (and using my Ease Script for extra snazzy animations, if you like) :)

Geoff Moore likes this.
  11. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like your logic! (But what about the dozens of other games I haven't played yet... o_O)

That does sound like a lot of work, the results speak for themselves though! I'm going to try and muddle through this and I'll certainly check out your script, I might well PM you at some point over the holidays if I need a bit of help with it if that's okay. Thanks for the tips!

12. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gathering Microgame

Gathering materials in the contest version of the game was a big part of earning money and trading, but in the new version of the game, it takes on a different role. Materials gathered will be worth more, and fewer of them are required for the occasional trades. But finding them will also be rarer, and the way you pick them up has been redesigned completely. Now, you'll get a "microgame" where you get a chance to score many materials from one spot if your timing is good enough.

I'm aware that there's quite a lot of people who play RPG's because they don't want their reflexes tested; to acommodate this, I'm also adding another item to the game: Camomille Tea. If you have some of these in your inventory when you interact with a gathering spot, you will be asked if you want to drink it to calm your nerves. Doing this will make the microgame easier, but you can no longer get critical bonuses.

Additionally, for the reflex junkies out there, there'll be a Dark Coffee item. Similar to Camomille Tea, this item will instead increase your concentration and heart rate, making the microgame harder, but criticals yield double. I'll show these off soon :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
    Stoic and Raider like this.
  13. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think that is a pretty cool touch.

14. Raider

Raider Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Looks very interesting! Keep up the good work :)

15. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Hey Galenmereth,

Your updates are all really neat. You've been working so much on your game, I couldn't not make you something. Happy December!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  16. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is amazing Adellie! Thank you very much :D

Adellie likes this.
  17. EliteKilljoy

EliteKilljoy Beta Tester, English Proofer, German Translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey! I just started my own alpha/beta testing service, providing feedback to the creators on their games [can be found here].

I would REALLY love to play this game, since I've been watching its progress for awhile.

Let me know if you're interested. :3

EDIT: I've decided to just play the game instead of critique it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  18. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @EliteKilljoy: Thanks for the offer mate! When I hit beta stage, I'll be sure to have you in mind. I might have enough testers already (and there's a little bit of work involved for each and every tester I involve), but I'll let you know.

19. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Really happy with the way your UI and menu stuff is looking so far :)

20. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ok, thank you! Im going to download and play this now :D !!! ttyl