The Vendor [v1.0.2 available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Galenmereth, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like to think people are smart enough to realise that when you said a commercial version was coming out it would have features not available in the contest entry, and that you're not actively updating the free version any more. That said, people tend to exceed my expectations when it comes to proving their idiocy, so perhaps a separate thread would be useful.

Galenmereth and mlogan like this.
  2. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    I'm sorry, I haven't read the whole thread and wasn't even aware that the next version would be commercial. Maybe a message in the first post to point to that would be helpful.

Galenmereth likes this.
  3. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, you're absolutely right Candacis. I'll see what I can do~

4. migidu

migidu Villager Member

nice, your game is going for commercial level! it was great watching this thread!

5. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As I still haven't gotten around to making the new thread, I'll keep posting progress here in the meantime. Keep in mind that the footage shown is for the commercial remake of the game, and not contents from the 2014 IGMC version that can be downloaded on page 1 :)

Sales scene work in progress

This is some very fresh footage from the redone sales scene I'm working on. Dialogue, button text and details are still either placeholders or rough drafts, so don't pay too much attention to them. But it's coming along great, and it (and the visual combat system) is soon ready for testing :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    nio kasgami and Noodle like this.
  6. migidu

migidu Villager Member

very nice! i like it, so original.

Galenmereth likes this.
  7. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your feeling for good appearance and love for details are very nice features for a game developer. I really wonder what else we will see from you in the future.

Galenmereth likes this.
  8. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Note: This is footage partaining to the commercial remake of the game.

Sidequest system

Here's a sneak peek at the game's new sidequest system. Accepted quests will be automatically tracked in a quest log, which isn't shown here as it's not quite done yet.

While I obviously would prefer for people to read absolutely all of the super delicious and carefully crafted dialogue in the game, I also want to respect the player's time. Instead of NPC's starting a long tirade about how troubled their life is before revealing--at the very end!-- that they're asking you for a favor, I'm giving you a heads up and a summary right from the get go. Additionally all NPC's with an acuirable sidequest will show an icon above their head, which also changes to reflect if you've accepted the quest, and also if you've got the things they ask for and can hand it in. While the quest in this demonstration is quite silly, rest assured that sidequests will always at the very least have interesting stories behind them, and mostly require interesting trades and challenges to be completed. Often they'll be chains that expand on the world and its characters, but in such a way that it's up to you whether you want to read all that or not. You can safely accept a quest and skip the dialogue if you wish--for example if you've read it before in a previous playthrough. The summary and your quest log will make it so you can still complete the quest just fine.
    As a special behind-the-scenes look, here's how the quest system is structured internally:

[​IMG]

That's not much for all of that action, but that's because the quest system provides helper script calls to make my life as a developer much easier. Of course this is a very simple event, only having different dialogue paths depending on the state of the quest. In this event I read dialogue from the game's language file automatically depending on the quest's status. For me this is an absolute joy to work with :)

[​IMG]

And here's a snippet of the aforementioned language file. All the dialogue in the game is structured in a language file instead of Ace's default message boxes. There are many benefits to this for me, among them having me and any editor proofread my text more easily (exporting back and forth between formats is a cinch); having much better control over all of the text in the game and changing it in one place only; not using so many conditional branches; and it even supports multiple languages.

[​IMG]

Finally, here are the requirements for quests. They can be more complicated than this, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  9. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    your game become more and more professionnal everytime ! 

I really hope they will have custom ressources for this game seriously!

10. KockaAdmiralac

KockaAdmiralac Cube-shaped garbage can Veteran

First Language:
    Serbian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello,

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have a thing to ask from the first posted video.

In the Herbalist's Hut, I heard some music very similar to the music from Aveyond (the one playing in the Squirrel Hideout, I don't know the name)

Did you find it somewhere else for free?

If it's free, do you mind sharing the link to it with us?

Thanks.

And yes, it looks like a great game!

Galenmereth likes this.
  11. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The music playing in the Herbalist's Hut is the song "Positive6" from the RPG Maker XP rtp's remastered OST, purchaseable in the rpgmakerweb store :) Its pitch is turned down ever so slightly for a weirder tone.

12. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Anything new? I still haven't played the original version, because I was waiting for the commercial one, but whenever I am reading through this thread, I am more tempted to play the 1.02 one. Therefor I just wanted to ask if the commercial will be out anytime soon.

13. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This was a pleasant experience i would recommend it to people tired of battles.

my biggest issues were

not having a storage of some sort so you didn't have to sell unnecessary items so that you can get the heros to pick the correct ones.

and there being several items that didn't seem to have any purpose.