The worst games you have ever played

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Square_art, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Square_art

Square_art Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Okay. Let's talk about the worst games you have ever played. Games that made you feel awfully sick. Games that you would never buy if you knew how terribly they were made. 

I want us to spread a word about bad games and warn each other, what games we should never buy. At the same time, we should keep in mind. We all have different points of view, and one game may have different effects on different players.

My personal experience.

FFIII DS 

I have played and completed all FF games including FFIII original and FFIII DS. 

Without doubt, FFIII DS is the worst jrpg and mobile game I have ever played. I will never play it again. It started pissing me off at the middle of the story, but I was patient enough to complete it and was happy to be done with it

Closer to my experience. First of all, I want to say about good sides of the game. Apparently, there are plenty of them: nice graphics (especially for mobile game), atmospheric and great music, good story, interesting game features (such as wide choice of classes).

So, what makes this game to be the worst?? Easy. Random. The random factor. The whole battle system (gameplay) is broken because of it. The game is difficult. But it's difficult not because it requires you to think tactically, not because you have to know enemies weaknesses, need to have some reaction or attentiveness skills, not at all, nothing of it. It's difficult only because of the random factor. Every boss has double action. Double action can be a single or aoe attack. Every boss can execute his action before OR after your party actions, random. However, you have to select command for every member of your party at the beginning of every turn.

Just an example how it works: the battle is started, everyone if completely healthy. You order your white mage to heal everyone, you expect the boss to act first. The boss acts after you, heal is wasted, you have an injured ally. You command your white to heal your injured ally, hoping to do it before boss action. Boss attacks injured ally and kills it, your heal has no effect. Then it kills white mage and soon you see "game over". No close save points to the boss, so usually you have to start completing the whole dungeon again. Fun.

I was hoping to complete the game straight through the story (I didn't want to have extra level ups for my team, a kind of the challenge), but I was very disappointed to know it's almost impossible (possible, but painful). So I started spending about an hour after each dungeon to have some extra level ups to reduce "random factor effect". It still was there.. By selecting the same commands you can easily win a boss fight, or you can be finished in the 1st-2nd turn. Random.

Besides, the game is not cheap as a mobile game, so obviously, it was no where near my expectations after all.

UFC 2

I just want to say it's the biggest disappointment in my life. The game is terribly created/implemented/tested/whatever. 

I love some UFC stars and I like UFC as a sport. I have been waiting for any MMA PS3/PS4 game for a long time. UFC 2 has been announcement not long time ago. Then it was released just in several months after UFC 2 development announcement. I was surprised, a good game can't be created so fast...

I bought it at the date of the release. At the beginning I had fun with it. Maybe the first week of offline playing. Then I noticed, AI is terribly awful. Those fighters, pure strikers, who has a strong boxing background, who would never try to go for a takedown, tries to do it in the game just one time after another. So irrational. Even when highest difficulty is selected they don't block 30-45% of the strikes you throw, and they keep doing mistakes and stupid things a real pro fighter will never do. It makes offline game extremely easy and boring, every fight can be easily win in few seconds after the fight is started. So you have no choice, but start playing online...

I was surprised, I had to buy PS Plus to play any online mode. Okay, straight away I payed for 3 months. There was one more surprise.. The game (which is obviously poorly made) has as high price as possible in the shop, it requires to buy PS Plus to play online, it also tries to provoke you to buy virtual items (cards), to make your custom fighters stronger in online game. I didn't buy them, but just the fact EA Sports become such a money sucker made me sick. Nevertheless, I have been playing only this game for about 2-3 months, had lots of experience and stress with this game. Only this game stressed me so much, I thrown PS4 dualshock to the wall. Dualshock is not broken, but it has a thick signature crack now  :)  I'm glad I quit the game now. I have never seen so many different bugs in a single game as I seen in this one. Telekinesis strikes, doll physics, unrealistic and absurd KOs, no clues if and what do you do wrong when something is not working, allowance for all players to play online despite internet connection  quality, and many others. The game has very complex control system and no appropriate mode to learn/improve your playing skills. 

The last thing which pissed me off is a loss due weak internet connection of my opponent. The game just stopped working. It was the end of my 25-wining streak and also the end of this game for me. I am perfectionist. I know, this game is not supposed to have anyone undefeated. But again, random factor makes me feel sick. If you great and skilled player you can win 9 of 10 fights against difficult opponents and then you can lose to someone who has more losses than wins. That's the way this game is made. Randon factor plays a big role here as well.  As a result, I have 2 fighters (1 judo and 1 kickboxing), each of them with 42(W)-2(L) record in hardcore ultimate team mode (all fighters with more than 2L were deleted, couldn't played them as a perfectionist) and 20(W) no losses in ultimate ranked online matches. I had lots of experience with this game, but I leave it now. The game is stress itself.  

That's my personal experience, but it is as it is. I strongly recommend everyone to avoid these games. I also was very disappointed at EA Sports company itself, the worst attitude I have ever seen,  "more money, less quality".

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I second you on ff3. I hated how that final boss was so utterly random, and if it used it's AOE attack 2x in a row, you were dead, plain and simple. The only way to prevent it was hope your white mage could get a heal off between attack 1 and attack 2. But, the first round your white mage goes before attack 1, TPK. Or, the first round your white mage gets KO'd by that AOE attack, TPK. Plus, add in the fact that the last dungeon had no saves whatsoever, it meant that you were easily 2.5 hours away from your last save point. Seriously, who thought this was fun? Whoever designed that final dungeon should be banned from game making, or condemned to spend a year or two playing only bad games as punishment.

Now a few of my bad games:

-NCAA12: The worst NCAA football game made. The computer defense utterly and completely cheats. You can see this for yourself by playing a game with two teams, then play the SAME game with the SAME two teams, and play the opposite site. You will see the guys who used to be your defenders making moves that they wouldn't even dream of when you controlled that side. To put it this way, when you played, your defense had about an IQ of 40, and forgot they were playing football, or any sport for that matter. I saw my AI controlled guys stand there and watch the guy with the football just run past. But switch sides and suddenly they swarm to the football like a heard of angry bees.

-Hyperdimension Neptuna: I can't understand why people like this one. I tried to play it, gave up 2 hours in. Between a battle system that is completely random (you don't use skills, you assign points to increase your chance of them activating automatically), having to hit all these crazy combos to just do a simple attack, to an unreadable font (seriously, the AP font was unreadable on my TV. I couldn't tell how much AP I had!), to a game that felt like it was made for perverts only (how many up skirt shots does a game need?), I couldn't stand it.

-Uncharted 3: I liked 1 and 2, but 3 felt like the producers came up with the plot over a bad pastrami sandwich. Seriously. Worst story I had the misfortune of reading. Maybe you had to be on something to understand it or like it?

ALTERED STATE ? and Square_art like this.
  3. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can think of a few games I wouldn't want to try again.

Infinity Wars

This is a free-to-play collectible card game played online.  Normally, I enjoy these kinds of games, but this one had some glaring flaws.

First, the gameplay is very difficult to get the hang of.  The big issue with this is that both players take their turn AT THE SAME TIME!  You have to predict what your opponent will do every turn.  Will they use a creature to attack or defend?  What spells will they cast?  Will you both defend at the same time, leaving no attackers to swing?  So many problems with this system.

Second is the matchmaking.  Or, more accurately, lack of matchmaking.  As a new player, I was getting paired up against opponents who had clearly been playing FAR longer than I had.  Every match I played against humans, I was getting completely destroyed.  It was impossible for me to learn anything strategy-wise when I can't fight people at my own level.

Final Fantasy 9

I hate putting this one on this list because I was looking forward to trying it for a while before it went on Steam.  But I had a hard time playing this due to what I consider to be an imbalanced combat system.  On paper, the game looks good, but in the short time I played this, I kept having to go back to town and restock on potions or phoenix down or going to an inn that took a really long time to get to.  I lost interest when it became apparent how many potions I was burning in nearly every fight.  It felt like everything just took too long to do in this game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
    consolcwby likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thief reboot. You can jump only certain places, and use rope arrows in limited places. And NPC Ai is too stupid.

I wasted my time and money. I can't refund this game because I bought this game before steam has refund system. Horrible.

Confederacy likes this.
  5. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Master of Orion III

Definitely a terrible incarnation of the series, as it forces you to micromanage to the fullest in a macro managing menu.  All the races and style of the game were changed.  The tech trees, as well as the monsters, leaders, were distorted or gone.  Navigators were altogether removed.  Spying was made into too heavy a focus.  The economy of any race or government couldn't support itself without taxation of 30% or more killing production.  Unfair AI which got massive advantages in combat and on the economy side.

Ships which were too slow moving and space combat that took forever.  No lore.  No strategy other than expansion.  No sense of humor or GNN which made MoO2 a really great game.

Ultima 9

"What's a Paladin?"  Seriously.  This game was so terrible you need to watch a few lets plays or reviews of it to full understand how they destroyed a franchise.

The only redeeming feature was the Guardian, and he doesn't even show up that often.

Stardew Valley

In all fairness I played this game inside and out.  I even used a cheating mod, and produced instant crops to try new things and different angles.  At first it's immensely fun, but then the grim reality sets in.  The game is unfinished, and unrefined.  It doesn't appear so on the surface, but if you follow the dev log you will see not even all the relationships were put into the game.  Opening up new sections of the valley causes you to experience more bugs due to terrain errors.  Fishing has no precised skill separation when you cast into an area.  It's so random that you may get several casts without fish that lead you to think there are no fish.  There are no timers on things like furnaces which refine or produce an item.  There is no progress bar or message saying how much longer or even a clue outside of the wiki.  I built this, and I am unaware how it works?  Great.

You either have to look it up or randomly guess.  Multiple item conflicts and inconveniences which cause a great number of annoyances.  Once of which is dropping an item means it will go immediately back into your inventory.  The item "vaccum" cannot be shut off even in options.  Sprite collisions and falling items can land in water and instantly be destroyed.  Abigail is basically a running joke for the dev and will not be fixed.

The plot isn't an issue here.  Grandpa and the little apple spirits along with Joja are just background noises compared to all the failed mechanics.

You have little reason to side with Joja since you left a job with them to pursue the country side.  The game is so biased against Joja, that you never get a chance to get the town to work together with the corporation, only to kick them out on their rears.  Joja despite their promise of discounts always overcharges.

You cannot produce anything yourself.  Everything like seeds or animals must be bought.  You can get a seed machine later, but you still will need to either buy raw materials that are only available for production far later in the game.  Some items for cooking can only be bought.  

You cannot hire farm hands.  

There are literally so many things to do, that you can loose an entire crop or friendship/hearts with animals simply because you can't get it all done everyday.  Missing a day means a penalty.  You literally cannot take a day off from your farm or upkeep.  Grass, trees, and bushes grow back even on tilled soil even with the best equipment.  

6. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Call of Duty series. ~I even forgot which ones I played. Well not that it matters anyway, it's always the same recycled garbage every year.

Final Fantasy XIII ~Disappointingly linear like a corridor gameplay-wise.

World of Warcraft (After Wrath of the Lich King) ~Dead characters resurrecting, bazillions of pointless expansions, the game is just incredibly confusing and boring now to me.

Every dayum sport game ~I enjoy playing soccer and basketball IRL but sport games just don't work to me (too boring and similar to each other).

7. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Ohohoho you're trying to start something, aren't you, you villain. (  ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ)

I'm kind of surprised at the hate for the FF3 remake. I played it last year on Steam and thought it was pretty enjoyable. It wasn't amazing by any means, but it wasn't horrible either. Just cute and simple by today's standards, and with a few minutes of grinding + a decent party setup you can kick any boss's booty. Maybe they refined the boss battles between the DS and PC versions, though. I vaguely remember trying the DS version when it first came out and thinking it was tougher back then.

Anyway, I can't really think of any games I've played that I would definitively call the worst. If I don't like something, I just assume it's not my cup of tea and leave it at that. Maybe someone else will like it. I don't tell others not to try it, since I'm pretty picky and I don't want to assume that others have the same kind of pickiness. For example, I tried Fallout 3 and found the combat system so awkward and bizarre that I returned the game, but tons of people love that franchise so yeah, I'm probably just really peculiar. xD

AwesomeCool and Dalph like this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @EuphonyMaybe they did. All I remember is the final boss in my game did over 50% of my HP every time it used that AOE attack, which meant 2 uses of it = one dead party, unless I got a heal in between. After 2 tries at beating that boss and failing I took my level 48ish party all the way to level 70+ (took a few hours, I just watched some TV and found an area where the fights gave good EXP and a party of all summoners could win very quickly), went back and killed the boss in no time. But I still hate the fact the game feels like it required me to grind an extra 22 or so levels to win. See, I'm of the theory that if I can win all the regular battles easily, then I should be able to win the final boss.

And on that note, thought of another game. Tales of Xilla 2. I absolutely hated that game for 2 reasons. One, the stupid debt. It felt like it was only there to slow down your progress in the game and/or give the game an artificially inflated extra 20+ hours of play time. But that is not as bad as my second issue, which is the $@!#^@& bosses of that game. I found myself CONSTANTLY in positions where I could win every regular fight in < 15 seconds, but the boss would totally stomp me until I grinded up another 5 - 7 levels. But, the enemies gave so little EXP that it took forever to get those 5 - 7 levels. And even after getting those extra levels, the fight was still ridiculously close, and took 6 minutes on average due to how ridiculous the HP of those bosses are.

Memo to designers: You do NOT need to make your boss battles take 2300% more time than your regular battles. HP Sponges are not fun.

Reapergurl and AwesomeCool like this.
  9. Feenick

Feenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I found FF3 to not be all that bad, but as I've got accustomed to the Dragon Quest school of dungeon traversal [go through most of a dungeon, get out and heal up, then go back in and beat it for real] it'd probably be a lot worse for someone who's used to just blazing through dungeons as can be done in most of the Final Fantasies.

As for the worst games I've played... I'm not sure, really. I'd say Arfenhouse 2, but putting intentionally bad games on the list feels like an awful big copout. I'm also not all that sure if games I disliked are bad or just not to my taste.

Anyway, here's 2:

Defender's Quest: Every single character was either annoying or had no personality whatsoever, the art in it ranged from decent to completely ill-fitting for the setting, its tower defense mechanics felt lame, and every attempt at humor it tried was terrible. 

Wings of Vi: Only played through the one bit after the first area, but what I did played like a kaizo hack. Jumping felt really wonky and requiring most every jump to be precise from the get go seems wonky. Attacking had no weight whatsoever to it. Also the first real boss took me over an hour to beat which turned me off completely.

kaukusaki likes this.
  10. Square_art

Square_art Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    FFXIII was a great game in my eyes. Not a perfect/amazing one, some things was wrong in the gameplay (game over if the leader is KOed, sort of action battle system but no movement control, etc.), but altogether the game was great. Amazing graphics and unique story at least. I'm not surprised to see this game to be called as a "worst", players' points of view are very different about this one :)

Surprised to see FFIX here :)  I have completed it several times some years ago. Never had an issue with lack of potions/healing. Garnet (Dagger) always was able to heal everyone during and between battles, MP was just enough. But again, as many players as many points of view.

It's good to read what drives video game players crazy. We should use this information to create a perfect game :)  

Valryia and Alexander Amnell like this.
  11. TheSedav

TheSedav Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Do we count Flash Games on Newgrounds? Because I've played a number of turds, most I don't remember.

A few games I remember playing that I felt sucked ass...

ANYTHING with "Call of Duty" in the title.

Action 52

Cheetahmen 2

I know I played more but I cannot think of them.

kaukusaki likes this.
  12. Pan Dimensional Being

Pan Dimensional Being Ethereal Dragon Member

First Language:
    English
    I thought Why So Evil was just atrocious. Bad design, lazy, ugly, just soooo much wrong with it

13. DarkBooDev

DarkBooDev Destroyer of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well If I were being honest about game design, Shadow the Hedgehog is the worse game I've played so far (bad design decisions like the lack of a radar, bad mission objectives that mainly consist of "kill X amount of enemies" and that aren't very lenient on the number of enemies in the level, absurdly dark tone for a Sonic game,  and a story that feels haphazardly pasted together.)

But I must confess... it's actually a guilty pleasure of mine. I think that the game is so over the top and awful that it's actually funny.

The game that I dislike the most is probably Furu Furu Park (most of the mini-games were borderline unplayable and frustrating as hell.)

14. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       There aren't that many games that I just absolutely hate, but I have a few that I'd have been better off never playing. 

Lost Planet 2: I'll admit the first game wasn't really anything special either, but I loved the premise and had a lot of fun in it. I guess dmc2 should have been warning enough, Capcom keeps a long tradition of crappy sequel cash-grabs but in this case they butchered literally everything that made the first game endearing to a cult following and left me done with the game after a couple of hours once I realized that the story itself was one of the scrapped features of the game.

State of Decay: Year one Survival Edition: First off I actually enjoy playing state of decay, it's a fun little sandbox game that suffers from a lot of glitches and errors but since I bought the game as an Early Access title that's not really a big deal. What is a big deal, is that rather than fix these glitches and eventually leave me with a nice, well-designed game in exchange for my willingness to support them from their early stages, they released a new 30 dollar title allegedly overhauled (I've never played it, but from what I've heard from people who have it's still pretty buggy) and removed the old test version I'd already paid 50 bucks for (game+ dlc) from steam. Expecting me to repay for what is the exact same dayum game but with bug fixes and minor graphical tweaks basically using the first games following as beta testers who had to pay to participate and then are told they'll have to pay again if they want to experience the version that's been worked over and bugfixed thanks to their input. So now, even if UD makes what is literally my dream game in the future I won't buy it, and I encourage anyone else not to give them any funding as well because companies deserve bankruptcy and ruin once they've shown such a willingness to screw over their customers, no matter how good the finished product might turn out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
    l8rose likes this.
  15. Neith

Neith Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Does Big Rigs count ? It's so... alpha, that I couldn't even finish a race. I mean, I guess I won and lost a few times, but the game just kept ignoring me...

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on GameCube is the only game I sold before I even got halfway through it. I never felt any fun playing it, much like for any entry of the Call of Duty series (Zombie & Arcade modes excepted). Some FIFA & NBA from the PS2/GC/Xbox & PS3/Wii/360 eras as well as WWE Smackdown vs Raw and Table Tennis (Rockstar) made me believe sport games might just be bad by nature.

Some short side games like Link's Crossbow Training were fun for an hour but felt like a rip off soon enough.

Ironically though, my worst experience might be the first game I ever owned, The Emperor's New Groove (Gameboy Color).

16. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hm. Everything just from my point of view.

Final Fantasy 12: This was the first game in the final fantasy franchise that starting it's decay. The BS automatic combat system that would let you go afk in 90% of the fights, the flat main character, a story that did not interest me at all and seemed random at many points. They had this monster hunter mini game that was quite cool, but that was all.

The Final Fantasy 13 series: This is a bit more complex because Square apparently wanted to try something new. So they produced 13-1 with awesome graphics and a good sountrack (not as good as the old ones but still good). It was hard to follow the story sometimes because much seemed disconnected from the world and I did not really like the new battle system. Also "Auto battle" is the worst thing ever, but ok. The whole game was just one long corridor, which was a real letdown. But all in all it was a decent game (a bad final fantasy game, but still a decent RPG) up to the final boss fight. This guy has some abilities that instantly kill one of your characters. If your party leader dies, you lose the fight immediately. It is impossible to get to 100% death resistance, only something around ~92% or so. And the fight takes a lot of time. Like really a lot. So he is using this ability  time and time again and at some point you just die. I had to spend so many hours on leveling JUST FOR THIS BOSS, it was endlessly frustrating.

Then they released 13-2 and it was SO MUCH BETTER because you no longer had this long corridor style of game and the time travel stuff was really well implemented. That combined with a lot of different endings and good balancing made it a real great game. Again, it did not feel like Final Fantasy, but it was a good game.
    And then 13-3 came and it was even worse than 12. I know normally if you give critic on something you should name exactly what you do not like and be as specific as possible, but just EVERYTHING in this game was bad. There was not one aspect (aside from the graphic of course) that was enjoyable.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Instead of Stealt Action like part 1-3 you are sudden thrown into an third person shooter. The might not even habe been bad, it was just so totally different from the other MGS games before it and the stealth aspect was suddenly so small that I could not continue to play it.

Assassins Creed 3: I liked the AC Games a LOT, mainly because Azio and Altair were great characters and of course because of the gameplay. Then came AC3 with a new protagonist and I never liked that guy. The whole story about indians felt weak and Conner was just so... bland and unsympathetic. In addition to that the towns all looked the same, there were a lot of clipping problems and even game breaking bugs and the stealth mechanism was changed so that following people was just frustrating. All in all this game stopped me from buying and playing other AC games. Oh, and also ship battles. I hated Ship battles.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  17. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    (This was a stupid meltdown and I'm an idiot for causing this whiny-stupid-snot derail. I apologize.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  18. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ah come on, lets not turn that thread in a FFXIII battlefield again. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Live and let live.

I don't think I have a "worst" game. But I remember being rather disappointed by Ninja Blade. I was expecting a good action game and it was QTE bonanza. Hated it.

Also was disappointed by the Armored Core V but that's because it changed so much from AC for answer, which I still one of my number one. Hope that From Software will make AC6 come back to the roots of single player high speed oriented mecha battles.

AwesomeCool and Euphony like this.
  19. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

But that's what she wants to happen. Every time someone mentions anything remotely negative about FFXIII, she's there to escalate the discussion with passive aggressive remarks. It's happened so many times at this point, you'd think she gets paid by Square Enix to search the forum daily for the word "FFXII". So much energy that could be put into something creative like, I don't know, MAKING A GAME, wasted on flaming people who disagree with her about a 7-year-old game. It's really sad, because this community is otherwise pretty accepting of each others' differences of opinion.

It's a lot of petty negativity in a place where support and creativity should be the top priority. Honestly I don't know how more people aren't tired of it at this point.

20. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    (This was a stupid meltdown and I'm an idiot for causing this whiny-stupid-snot derail. I apologize.)