+ More story
+ Multiple re-designs of areas
+ Quest Journal
+ Quests added
+ New Start
+ New quest in Perla Town
+ New area in Perla Town

Synopsis
The_Glitch is an RPG horror game about a young boy named Hikari and his best friend Soku. Everything in their life is as normal as it could be, living in a world of magic, elves, and monsters. However, both of their worlds will be turned upside down as you progress, and you may find that things aren't exactly meant to be found. Something's wrong, and someone's trying to destroy the world that Hikari and Soku live in. Can they be stopped? Or will Hikari and Soku be corrupted? It's up to you to find out!

My game does not focus heavily on battle mechanics, and instead focuses on story... At the moment that is... When I get into the beta version, it will probably feature it's own unique battle style relative to the game. So for now, only expect the basic combat system of RPG Maker, and a heavy focus on story over battle.
The demo is obviously lack luster at the moment, using only the basic art style of RPG Maker VX Ace, but I believe in time I can hopefully make this game shine!

Warning: If you are prone to seizures, heart attacks, or a skiddish person in general, I recommend you do not play this game. If you choose to play the game anyway, I am not responsible for you or your health.

Screenshots

voxf2k.png
poWEqpXAp

pon9h8Pcp

Screenshot%2046_zpsxiphye9i.png

Screenshot%2044_zpsbcq2hihk.png

Screenshot%2045_zpsssfy5n2f.png

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ytlwslsoazpjox/The_Glitch.rar/file

Hope you enjoy the demo! :D

Last edited:

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just looked over your synopsis and can't wait to try the demo when I get home. The name alone drew me in, and I'm interested to see the horror without jump scares. :)

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just looked over your synopsis and can't wait to try the demo when I get home. The name alone drew me in, and I'm interested to see the horror without jump scares. :)
Well don't expect too much horror out of the demo yet, I might have honestly uploaded it a little too soon. Honestly, this demo was put up to hopefully leave people guessing about what the game's going to be about, with helpful hints hidden around in certain places, some more obvious than others. If you stay tuned though, I'll have the demo updated in no time, which will undoubtedly have some more horror elements to it. Of course, most of the stuff in this demo won't be seen again, so if you want to get a few early hints for the game, I'd say it's probably a good idea to download this demo ;) Thanks for replying, and I look forward to hearing your opinions! :D

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well don't expect too much horror out of the demo yet, I might have honestly uploaded it a little too soon. Honestly, this demo was put up to hopefully leave people guessing about what the game's going to be about, with helpful hints hidden around in certain places, some more obvious than others. If you stay tuned though, I'll have the demo updated in no time, which will undoubtedly have some more horror elements to it. Of course, most of the stuff in this demo won't be seen again, so if you want to get a few early hints for the game, I'd say it's probably a good idea to download this demo ;) Thanks for replying, and I look forward to hearing your opinions! :D
Gotcha. Still, I bet it's better than what I've come up with. I do use chase scenes, but being caught results in a jump scare. I think the only thing I've done well on mine was the music. So. that being said! I'm looking forward to playing the demo and will give you feedback ASAP!! (Just might not be today exactly.)

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Gotcha. Still, I bet it's better than what I've come up with. I do use chase scenes, but being caught results in a jump scare. I think the only thing I've done well on mine was the music. So. that being said! I'm looking forward to playing the demo and will give you feedback ASAP!! (Just might not be today exactly.)
Anytime would be fine! :)
And you should look forward to it, because it's great, and only getting better. ;)
Not to be cocky, I just think I've got a pretty good idea here. I really, really hope you enjoy the demo! :D

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Question before I play it: May I do a YouTube gameplay, or would you rather it not be shown offsite until you're finished?

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Question before I play it: May I do a YouTube gameplay, or would you rather it not be shown offsite until you're finished?
I would love for you to record it! But could you at-least wait a day, if you don't mind? I'm going to be releasing V0.03 of my demo, with better made areas, and just a little bit more of the story to play as well... And of course, fixed dialogue.
So if you'd wait a day to record, I'd really appreciate it..
Also link me your YouTube, so I can hopefully watch you play it :)

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would love for you to record it! But could you at-least wait a day, if you don't mind? I'm going to be releasing V0.03 of my demo, with better made areas, and just a little bit more of the story to play as well... And of course, fixed dialogue.
So if you'd wait a day to record, I'd really appreciate it..
Also link me your YouTube, so I can hopefully watch you play it :)
Alrighty! I look forward to helping you show off your game.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Alrighty! I look forward to helping you show off your game.
I look forward to watching you help me show off my game :D
The new version of the demo is now up! Hope you enjoy it :)
I'm changing the images right now, but you don't have to wait for that :) Can't wait to see your video!!!
Please link it when you upload it.

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I look forward to watching you help me show off my game :D
The new version of the demo is now up! Hope you enjoy it :)
I'm changing the images right now, but you don't have to wait for that :) Can't wait to see your video!!!
Please link it when you upload it.
It'll be up between tonight and tomorrow night- I hope.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I gave your demo a go... And then you released an updated version, so I played it again. While I am glad to see that you made a few improvements to the demo, there wasn't much pay-off for playing both versions so most of my comments will be what I wrote for the original one, apologies if I mention something that has already been fixed. :rswt
First things first, please change the title screen! Even in your new version it's still 'Test' as the title, which unfortunately makes it seem like you're not putting any effort into your game.

You have a common new user issue with your interaction events, quite a few can be activated without actually looking at the object (which can lead to odd situations, like trying to interact with the bed and getting the dresser instead, or looking left but still able to interact with the bookshelf). You can put the events on the objects so that the player can face and click on them properly as long as you change the priority to 'same as character'.
042UXAk.png
The tutorial training fights took way too long for my taste, and I'm honestly wondering why you included it. Since you're aiming for this to be a horror game, having a slow intro to battles doesn't quite click. It also didn't make sense to me that Hikari could forget how to do something as basic as attack when he already made a point to mention that he trains every day. If battles are going to become important in the future, then I'd recommend cutting the intro down to one or two battles, as most players are smart enough to figure out what 'attack' does in a normal battle system, and how to use skills. But if the battles aren't going to be important, then you could cut them out entirely since they don't add much.

Personally I found the lore dump from Soku to be boring (though it may be because I had to sit through it twice), there were a lot of details that were tossed at me and honestly in the beginning of a game I'm not going to remember all the introduced races and how strong they are. Instead, you could mention the strongest, as a warning against people to be careful of and leave the others to be introduced later when Hikari comes across them. Also, just a small thing I noticed, the 'human' race name was changed from Wakusen to Setchen in Soku's dialogue but not in the main menu for Hikari and him.

There was an odd lack of music in the first demo (didn't play with sound for the second one so I don't know if this was already fixed), music can add a lot to the atmosphere so I'd really recommend adding some in.

Mapping wise, you did improve a bit by filling in empty space, but you went a bit too overboard with some things to the point that it doesn't make sense. The house's main floor stumps me, I'm not sure why there are two long rooms that just have boxes spread around but no kitchen in sight. The yard looked like it got way too much fertilizer, since there's no empty grass. Where's the poor dog supposed to run around and play? Striking a balance between filled space and empty space is really important so that the player stays engaged but doesn't start feeling tired looking at all the little details. I'm a touch too drunk to come up with good written suggestions for the maps, so instead I tossed together two examples that hopefully can help show possible map alternatives.
rwCCNGD.png
jztYlLr.png
There's also an issue with Ilgtch Road, you forgot to have tree trunks at the bottoms of some leavetops, which means Hikari can climb into the trees like a monkey (or is this a hint that he's really a Ningen? :p)
7z9tZXj.png
I was disappointed in the new ending, since I was hoping for more gameplay or story, but didn't really get that (I've got a guess at the story, but there's not much to go on at this point). Overall, I can tell this is probably your first time making a game, so just listen to feedback, take your time to improve, and make the best game you can. :rwink:

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow!!! You really went in depth on what I should do!!!
I mean... Wow lol you went so far as to add in map examples for me, thank you for that :D
I really enjoy criticism, it helps me to be a better game-maker, and hopefully make the best game I can, like you said :)

Okay, my responses:

1. Oh hey! Thanks for that, I noticed this was happening, and I wanted to stop it, but didn't know how! That helps sooooooo much :D

2. Yeah... I had a feeling that the training stuff was too long... And I was gonna re-do it... But.. To be honest... I kind of got lazy with that part haha... I get it though. This should be a careful game, made with the most careful touches... I can't throw everything together all at once, and should really focus on fixing things up. Thank you for that, and in the next update, I will have this problem fixed :D

3. Okay so... Wakusen... That name was just... Ugh lol.. Trash, so I changed it to Setchen, which sounds a lot more subtle, and just rolls off the tongue better honestly. Now I know this isn't what you were commenting on, just thought I'd give a reason for it lol... But uh... Yeah... I forgot to do quite a bit of stuff lol... Thanks for that though! I'm totally using this as a reference for my next update :)

4. I keep forgetting to add in music. Ugh. Sorry about that lol, next update it'll be in.

5. Drunk huh? Lol, hand me a bottle would you? Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Lol it's great to see that you want to help me, and I'll totally use those references in my game! That helps a billion!

6. Well... I'm gonna add a tiny spoiler here. Only read if you absolutely want a spoiler lol
So... The title is The_Glitch... Obviously, this place is glitched out lol... But, what I'll do is just set that tile on the mapping system to an X instead of an O, that way, I can keep it glitched, and he won't be climbing like a Ningen lol.

7. Thank you so much! All of that really helped me out, lol, and I will take criticism as light heartedly as I can, and will do my best to make this a great game. Lol with your suggestions, the next demo should be a wonder :) Thanks again!

P.S. Also, the next demo will have a lot more story wise, and I won't rush it as much as I did this one. Lol, thanks again!

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's good you recognized that the training part was too long, but be careful with feeling lazy (a feeling I know all too well). You usually only get one shot to get people's interest when they're playing your game, and letting laziness win that early in the demo can turn people away. It can definitely be tough, but kick laziness' butt to the curb when making games! :rwink:

I assumed the Wakusen in the menu and the missing music were simply forgotten to be changed/added, so I just wanted to point them out as a reminder. And nope, I'm not sharing my booze, kiddo. :p It's good to hear that you'll be taking feedback to heart so that you can make a great game, you've got an interesting premise so I look forward to you becoming a dev who can truly bring it to life.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Aww man, I could really use a shot or two... Or three... Or a couple of alcohol poisonings right... about every day, lol. But yeah, I hope I can become a dev who truly brings it to life, because that'd be freaking GREAT! Lol I can say without a doubt that'd probably be the best thing to happen to me in a long time. ;D That's not meant in a depressing way XD
Whelp, anyway, time to go BUY some booze. Thanks for nothing! :p

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I finished editing my video- fell asleep when it took too long to render then my pc went to sleep, too. I saw the other comment, so the end of my video doesn't have much constructive criticism for you. Sorry. I think the bulk of it was covered by hiddenone. Which is great, because I am not always comfy giving feedback, I feel like I cause some disrespect in doing so. Anyway, the video should be up soon enough.
https://www.youtube.com/user/KageTenshiiRyuu Just putting it here now I tend to get preoccupied and may forget to link you to the video.
When you update the Glitch again, I hope to play it again. I really like where this seems to be going.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I finished editing my video- fell asleep when it took too long to render then my pc went to sleep, too. I saw the other comment, so the end of my video doesn't have much constructive criticism for you. Sorry. I think the bulk of it was covered by hiddenone. Which is great, because I am not always comfy giving feedback, I feel like I cause some disrespect in doing so. Anyway, the video should be up soon enough.
https://www.youtube.com/user/KageTenshiiRyuu Just putting it here now I tend to get preoccupied and may forget to link you to the video.
When you update the Glitch again, I hope to play it again. I really like where this seems to be going.
Awesome! I can't wait to watch it :)
I understand if you don't want to give feedback, honestly hearing you're going to upload a demo play-through is enough for me! Besides, like you said, I think Hiddenone actually covered pretty much everything that they could lol
The next update deadline is on December 19th, so be ready for that day ;)

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm a grammar stickler if you ever need help with that. My minor is in the English language... and Japanese. I received top SAT scores as well in English. So, please, let me know if you need free help with that. :unsure:
Don't ask me to do math, though. :blush:

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm a grammar stickler if you ever need help with that. My minor is in the English language... and Japanese. I received top SAT scores as well in English. So, please, let me know if you need free help with that. :unsure:
Don't ask me to do math, though. :blush:
Oh well don't worry about that lol... I'm pretty good at grammar myself, but mistakes are bound to happen when typing lines over and over and over again. I'm currently going through and fixing up all grammar mistakes, so no worries lol, I appreciate it though.
Also, √49*7+78^2
Some easy math :p

Lehla

Inky Demon in the Soup
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Video is here
I hope you don't mind I did a custom thumbnail for my video.
the glitch.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.
does anyone feel like explaining to me the difference between simulation and emulation? you have my full permission to be as pedantic as you want.
About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...
A caveman pokes his head in...
I was listening to songs by Chuck E Cheese's voice actor (Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup) when the meds I was taking for my stomach virus apparently stopped working. I can't take my next dose until morning, but it's no use anyway. I'm officially sick again. Of course, I'll definitely take the next dose either way, but it's useless now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McClane_Drake