TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't feel like to "innovate" with random encounter just because a person is telling me to do so.
Well... forget it, I take back my words.

Encounter Warning
v1.0​

About:
One of my biggest pet peeve on random encounter is that it doesn't have a warning on when I actually get an encounter. Most of the time when I entered a battle, it bummed me out. This simple script is simply adding a warning when you're nearing the encounter.

The script was used originally for an indicator on how close you're to a visible encounter in my game because I use limited visibility (I prefer visual encounter for some reasons) and then I changed the usage as an indicator on when the randomly spawn visual encounter happens. So I thought it can be used for the default random encounter.

Introduction:
This script simply adds an icon as a warning indicator. It changes based on how many steps left before you get an encounter. Configure the step left in the script setting.

How does it look like:
Safe level
Screenshot_1093.jpg

Unsafe level
Screenshot_1094.jpg

Danger level
Screenshot_1095.jpg

Close to encounter!
Screenshot_1096.jpg

The script:
Get it here

Terms of Use:
It's free. If you edit it and redistribute it (e.g, port it to MV), please keep it free.

One question though, do people still use random encounters?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually a good idea.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is a nice idea because it not only gives the player a bit of mental preparation before encounters, but reduces the feeling of anxiety like you might be thrown into one on any given step. The player can breathe, relax, and explore until it turns red, then make sure they're topped off and ready to go once it turns red.

Yeah, lots of people still use Random Encounters. :p

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Its a good idea amd very useful, reminds me of the system from a game I cant say because the mods might delete this again if I say that game's name.. xD

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting how everyone is saying this is a good idea.
Another script for this existed 5 years ago.

Anyways, thanks for improving on it. Now I have to decide which one is better.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting how everyone is saying this is a good idea.
Another script for this existed 5 years ago.
# Encounter Indicator
# by: Racheal
# Version 1.0
# Created: 04/02/2014

Anyways, thanks for improving on it. Now I have to decide which one is better.
Just letting you know that mentioning/advertising other ppl's stuff in someone's page is not cool.
Technically this script also existed since 2014, since that was the year I dev my game, but this never went to public.

WCouillard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Turning the system on and off via the command provided does not seem to work. The exclamation bubble also shows even if the system is supposed to be turned off.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Turning the system on and off via the command provided does not seem to work.
I put the wrong symbol. Thanks for letting me know. Fixed

The exclamation bubble also shows even if the system is supposed to be turned off.
In game design wise, you shouldn't turn off the encounter warning when your map has a random encounter. But I've fixed that as well

WCouillard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am not seeing any difference in the script code, are you sure you changed anything and uploaded it? Replaced the script since your post where you said you fixed it and it still performs the same. Just a heads up. Might have actually pasted the original script right back in when you updated it.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I probably misclicked it. Go check that once again.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it is a good idea like getting hotter or getting colder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kid : "MOOOMM! My poop is bloody red!" Me, an intellectual : "There's worm parasite inside your body. You gonna die soon."
Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lanzy