Theolized Sideview Battle System (In Game Editor + Version 2 Coming Soon)

Ninkoro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Maybe there is a way to apply target damage before showing the damage on the enemy ?
But then if they die...they'd begin dying when target damage is applyed.

plus it'd screw up timing. The way I said will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punisher699

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yeah you're right ... I didnt think about that ... I'm gonna try it when back home .

Thx

Punisher699

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey Ninkoro , everything works like I want for now ! I set 3 actions , one for calculation , one for zoom in , and the last one for zoom out .
If I'm setting up my variable before battle , everything works . Now I need to do it in the script .

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Calculate Critical # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Calculate_Crit" => [ ], # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Critical Zoom In # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Zoom_In" => [[:camera, 0, [0, -60], 56, 2.50, :smooth],[:force_critical, true], ], # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Critical Zoom Out # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Zoom_Out" => [[:cam_reset, 20, :smooth],[:force_critical, false], ], I don't know how to put it in the calculate critical for now . I need to set a variable and doing a random count .

I tried a few codes , but nothing seems to work ... I'm probably forgetting something  :( . I know how to do in

events but not in scripting .

newbielol123

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi, I'm getting a bug where my Battleback is black everytime I battle in my game. It does this to the Tankentai VX Ace scripts as well. Idk know whats going on or why it's doing this but I need help! I would appreciate if someone knew the fix to this "bug". Please help!

Ninkoro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey Ninkoro , everything works like I want for now ! I set 3 actions , one for calculation , one for zoom in , and the last one for zoom out .

If I'm setting up my variable before battle , everything works . Now I need to do it in the script .

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Calculate Critical # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Calculate_Crit" => [ ], # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Critical Zoom In # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Zoom_In" => [[:camera, 0, [0, -60], 56, 2.50, :smooth],[:force_critical, true], ], # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Critical Zoom Out # --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Zoom_Out" => [[:cam_reset, 20, :smooth],[:force_critical, false], ], I don't know how to put it in the calculate critical for now . I need to set a variable and doing a random count .

I tried a few codes , but nothing seems to work ... I'm probably forgetting something  :( . I know how to do in

events but not in scripting .
Glad you got the idea down!

Did you try asking the programmers in that one thread I mentioned for a quick line for random numbers? Here's a link: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/150-rubyrgssx-questions-that-dont-deserve-their-own-thread/page-122

Ask for a line such as "$game.variables(1) == Random(9)" , I made the random thing up ofcourse, but I just wanted to give a visual example of what you'd be doing. The random and setting to a specific var would be done with a single line.

Hi, I'm getting a bug where my Battleback is black everytime I battle in my game. It does this to the Tankentai VX Ace scripts as well. Idk know whats going on or why it's doing this but I need help! I would appreciate if someone knew the fix to this "bug". Please help!
The only thing I could possibly say is, is this a blank project with ONLY the battle system scripts implemented? Or do you have other scripts that modify the battle scene/map scene? If so, try debugging by using "ctrl+A" then "ctrl+Q" on each 3rd party script and test a battle, and see if it solves it.

It's either that or maybe your using an outdated Theo's script? But that doesn't make much sense, considering it also happens with other battle systems.

newbielol123

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Glad you got the idea down!

Did you try asking the programmers in that one thread I mentioned for a quick line for random numbers? Here's a link: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/150-rubyrgssx-questions-that-dont-deserve-their-own-thread/page-122

Ask for a line such as "$game.variables(1) == Random(9)" , I made the random thing up ofcourse, but I just wanted to give a visual example of what you'd be doing. The random and setting to a specific var would be done with a single line.

The only thing I could possibly say is, is this a blank project with ONLY the battle system scripts implemented? Or do you have other scripts that modify the battle scene/map scene? If so, try debugging by using "ctrl+A" then "ctrl+Q" on each 3rd party script and test a battle, and see if it solves it.

It's either that or maybe your using an outdated Theo's script? But that doesn't make much sense, considering it also happens with other battle systems.
I tried with a Blank Project and it gave me a Black Battleback, and then I tried with my regular game and the same occured. And here's the catch, I tried with the TSBS Demo and I barely delete a Backup script, in the Demo, and it gave me a Black Battleback. Idk whats goin on?

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Punisher699

Any kind of script command made within the sequence configuration of the TSBS will be run in Game_Actor/Game_Enemy, so you have access to the stats of the actors easily, meaning you can tie the crit formula to a stat easily too.

For example:

"Calculate_Crit" => [ [:if, "cri >= rand(0)", "Zoom_In"] ],This will execute the "Zoom_In" sequence if the actor's crit rate (the real X param) is higher than or equal the random floating point number generated between 0.0 and 1.0 (rand(0) will do that). Since the crit rate is a float number in the engine itself (so, 4% crit rate is actually 0.04 for the engine), the condition check above is perfect for triggering critical hits manually while preserving the original crit rate formula (or even make your own formulas).I am not sure if that is the exact syntax used in the sequence settings for the :if command, but you get the idea, right? :p

So, call the "Calculate_Crit" sequence before the damage, and call the "Zoom_Out" after the damage (well, whenever you like to).

Ninkoro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I tried with a Blank Project and it gave me a Black Battleback, and then I tried with my regular game and the same occured. And here's the catch, I tried with the TSBS Demo and I barely delete a Backup script, in the Demo, and it gave me a Black Battleback. Idk whats goin on?
Huh...sorry, I think this may be a bigger problem than just this script. What kind of computer are you running this on? I mean if it isn't an older computer, then I really have no idea. Sorry I couldn't help much :/

newbielol123

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Huh...sorry, I think this may be a bigger problem than just this script. What kind of computer are you running this on? I mean if it isn't an older computer, then I really have no idea. Sorry I couldn't help much :/
Well um I can tell you my specs. I'm really not sure if its just my computer, the program, the script, or maybe I have a virus. I do have sightings of a Worm virus on my computer but idk anything more than that. I'm quite the nerd when it comes to programming and computers so I bet if I can't fix it, then the problem is super huge [ just putting it out there ]. But yeah, here's the specs on my laptop:

Processor: AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

Installed Memory [ RAM ]: 4.00 GB (3.44 GB usable)

64-bit operating system with x64-based processor

This is basically a copy of my laptop specs from the System Properties menu. But yeah, if need more info lemme kno. Thanks for the help man and I will report back if the problem is fixed or if I find out the problem. Thanks again ^^

Ninkoro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well um I can tell you my specs. I'm really not sure if its just my computer, the program, the script, or maybe I have a virus. I do have sightings of a Worm virus on my computer but idk anything more than that. I'm quite the nerd when it comes to programming and computers so I bet if I can't fix it, then the problem is super huge [ just putting it out there ]. But yeah, here's the specs on my laptop:

Processor: AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

Installed Memory [ RAM ]: 4.00 GB (3.44 GB usable)

64-bit operating system with x64-based processor

This is basically a copy of my laptop specs from the System Properties menu. But yeah, if need more info lemme kno. Thanks for the help man and I will report back if the problem is fixed or if I find out the problem. Thanks again ^^
I just meant what operating system you have Lol, but your specs seem fine.

Ninkoro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Oh.... i feel dumb right now.... its Windows 8 64-bit
Same as me. Yeah, idk what else to say. Maybe it's a problem with ACE as a whole? Idk I don't want to clutter this thread any longer, so all I could say is make your own topic in a help section of the fourms.

Punisher699

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
For example:"Calculate_Crit" => [

[:if, "cri >= rand(0)", "Zoom_In"]

],T
.... It works like a charm man !!! Thank you for sharing this ! This is awesome !!!  :D  

See ?? sometimes things look complicated to do , but in reality , this can be so damn easy ! Every time I think TSBS couldn't get any better ... it does !!!

But Sixth , where did you get all those lines ? is there a way for me to get my hands on some code lines to help me in the future ?

Thank you again man !

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I worked on some addons for this battle system, which required me to read the code itself.

That's when I saw where the script command is actually executed, and just like any other scripter, I know that class like the back of my... forgot how the saying goes. :D

Anyway, it's actually pretty easy if you learn a bit of coding in RGSS3, or at least how some classes function.

Examine the Game_BattlerBase, Game_Battler, Game_Actor and Game_Enemy classes. All the methods found in those are available for any kind of script lines used in any kind of sequence configuration. Combine those methods however you like, and you can basically do whatever you want fairly easily.

But note that learning at least a minimal amount of coding is required. That minimal amount can be found in the help files which came with VX Ace.

Just open the help files and you can read about the basic RGSS stuffs there (like operating arrays, hashes, bitmaps, and so on). Once you learn those, you are set to code anything you like and start to learn even more in practical ways.

There are also the "Script call equivalents of event commands" which might not be usable in every case, but it helps greatly in understanding how the engine itself functions.

And there are some great tutorials about learning RGSS, some of them even say something like "learning RGSS easily" but make no mistakes, it won't be easy. :D

I also wanted to add a comment to my snippet example...

The code I showed does not count in the target's critical evade rate, so that stat is entirely useless now. There should be a way to include that as well in the formula, I just didn't look deeper into that. Will take a look when I get some free time.

Punisher699

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Here is the result  :D

https://youtu.be/_57AJ_LqKEI

Here's my channel if you want it  :)  
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjFWTqOi7uXcugHK9yJyNTQ

The code I showed does not count in the target's critical evade rate, so that stat is entirely useless now. There should be a way to include that as well in the formula, I just didn't look deeper into that. Will take a look when I get some free time. 
You're right !!! I need to add that too... Let me know if you find something about it ! Thx  :D

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's in the demo. Download it and c/p the script from it to your project.
Thanks.

Also, I've come across a major problem; my game freezes whenever I'm in a battle that hasn't been booted from the troops tab and also some really strange things happen because of it.

Weird Start Up I.png Weird Start Up.png

Floating I.png Floating.png

The first two pictures above happen at the beginning of every battle for the enemy before they face the right direction and that shadow above them disappears. The pictures showing my characters floating in place is what happens very often when I begin a battle. The game freezes here with them floating like that but the music, the frame rate, and their walking in place pose keep going. It's really weird and game breaking. What's even weirder is when I give my characters an intro pose they never begin the battle floating and it continues as normal; however, sometimes at the beginning of any turn they just magically begin to float again which causes the freezing. Also, the pictures with the green pasture background is a brand new project with nothing but the essential scripts running.

Disappears when attacked.png Freezes when enemy attacks.png Invisible.png

The three pictures above show what happens when the enemy attacks. In the first one my character's sprite actually flies back completely off the screen(uninitiated in the sequences of course) yet shows the shadow is still in place(and still shows the character walking in place). The game freezes right here but all action stops and only the music keeps going(I actually got a rare game crash error that led back to one of Yanfly's scripts but unfortunately I forgot to record the actual error and line; it was pertaining to sprites though). The first picture shows when an enemy attacks and freezes with the sprites disappearing. The third picture shows my character disappearing when they attack the enemy. It seems the more battles I go through without any of these issues happening(minus the first picture posted at the top; it happens every battle that's not initiated through the troops tab) the more likely one of the problems will occur(the floating glitch is the most common).

Starting camera position.png Running Perfectly.png

The first picture here shows where the camera is at the beginning of every battle. Sometimes the camera just immediately jumps to this position instead of smoothly zooming in. The last picture shows my game running perfectly when a battle is booted from the troops tab. It actually takes a little longer to load but it never gives me a problem here. As a matter of fact I've been developing several moves for my characters and testing them out via the troops tab for weeks and I didn't even know I had this problem until I recently decided to run the game from the title screen.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've managed to fix my problem. Well, at least somewhat. The shadows that appear under the enemy in the beginning are due to me having my Yanfly Core Script's screen settings to 640x480. The enemy facing downward briefly at the beginning of a battle is due to a bug in my opinion. As for my characters floating, that's due to my idle pose having conditions. If I don't give either my idle pose or my critical pose conditions then my characters won't glitch out. Same for the enemies. I think these are bugs on the scripter's part. So bottom line I fixed my own problems but I didn't fix the actual bugs.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For your idle pose conditions issue...

If there are times when no idle pose is possible, than your conditions are wrong. You must have a proper idle pose at all the times, or else you will get some visual bugs, of course.

The facing down enemy bug sounds like a wrong note-tag for the enemies, messed up the index number from the sheet maybe? Since it turns to normal pose after automatically, that is pretty possible.

Also re-reading your previous post, it is possible that your image sheets are wrongly set up, or maybe the columns/rows setting is not right.

And if all of the above are surely taken out of possible reasons, than you still got the possibility that you put your scripts in wrong order, or you got one or more compatibility issues with other scripts.

But seeing that you made a new project for testing, improper image configuration seems the most possible to me.

Theo's battle script is working perfectly fine, and the bugs you mentioned are not coming from this script alone, that is for sure. I am 100% sure that there are no graphical bugs regarding the battlers (be it an actor or enemy) unless the user messed something up with their configuration (don't feel bad if you did, most of us did that too when we tried it the first time :D ) or another script is causing it to happen.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For your idle pose conditions issue...

If there are times when no idle pose is possible, than your conditions are wrong. You must have a proper idle pose at all the times, or else you will get some visual bugs, of course.

The facing down enemy bug sounds like a wrong note-tag for the enemies, messed up the index number from the sheet maybe? Since it turns to normal pose after automatically, that is pretty possible.

Also re-reading your previous post, it is possible that your image sheets are wrongly set up, or maybe the columns/rows setting is not right.

And if all of the above are surely taken out of possible reasons, than you still got the possibility that you put your scripts in wrong order, or you got one or more compatibility issues with other scripts.

But seeing that you made a new project for testing, improper image configuration seems the most possible to me.

Theo's battle script is working perfectly fine, and the bugs you mentioned are not coming from this script alone, that is for sure. I am 100% sure that there are no graphical bugs regarding the battlers (be it an actor or enemy) unless the user messed something up with their configuration (don't feel bad if you did, most of us did that too when we tried it the first time :D ) or another script is causing it to happen.
I haven't touched the sprite sheet config at all. I think my enemies face downward because Theo mainly designed it for Kaduki sprites and the pose for my characters facing down is the same as a Kaduki character face the correct direction(keep in mind that none of these problems occurred when I was testing the game through the troops tab). And I'm pretty certain that the 640x480 setting causing the shadow to briefly appear in the beginning of battle is a bug. I booted Theo's ED game and changed the settings to 640x480 Yanfly's Core script and it gave me the same glitch. 

Here is an example of the idle stance I have for enemies. My actors had a similar idle pose but I had to change it.

"E-Idle" => [  

[true, false, false],

[:if,"!state?(49)", "E-Normal Stance", "E-Guard Stance"],

],

"E-Normal Stance" => [  

[true, false, false],

[:icon, "Clear"],

[:pose,     1,   7,   15],

[:pose,     1,   6,   15],

[:pose,     1,   7,   15],

[:pose,     1,   8,   15],

],

"E-Guard Stance" => [  

[true, false, false],

[:pose,     1,   8,   1],

],

And here is another I have for enemies when in critical.

"E-Critical" => [

[true, false, false],

[:if,"state?(1)", "E-Dead", "E-Critical Stance"],

],

"E-Critical Stance" => [

[true, false, false],

[:cast, 608],

[:balloon, 6],

[:pose,     1,   6,   25],

[:pose,     1,   7,   25],

[:pose,     1,   8,   25],

[:pose,     1,   7,   25],

],

"E-Dead" => [

[true, false, false],

[:pose,     2,   10,   1],

],

The reason I have the settings like this for critical is because I want certain enemies to stay on screen when they die encase they get revived by an ally during the fight. I had to give the critical stance two different conditions because the balloon would keep appearing even when the enemy is dead. I no longer have these settings as I managed to find a work around but it still irks me that I can't have my enemies stay visible in a "dead" pose; right now they just stay invisible.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have tested and used this script from resolutions of 544x416 to 1280x786, and no graphic bugs happened for me, at all. I used the 1.4 version, don't know about the 1.3 version (and Theo's ED uses the 1.3 version, if I remember right).

If you did not change any configuration, yet used your own sheets which differ from the ones used in Theo's demo, you can NOT expect it to work without issues.

Theo did not design it for "Kaduki sprites mainly". You can use any kind of sprite sheets, no size or columns/rows rules. As long as you set them up properly, it will work.

You must change every pose index to match the directions for your battlers on your image sheet, or else they will face in the wrong direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Think of the potential now that picking up object is possible!
My first Video Scene - Kraken Art By @whtdragon -

Still needs work but its a start.
Considering a side project of making a Choose Your Own Adventure in MV but letting people play it as YouTube videos with the choices at the end leading to other videos. Thoughts?
I've made a rudimentary prototype map for the first game with the MV RTP overworld tiling. I'm probably going to photoshop the crap out of it for parallax, but the prototype has given me new ideas about how I want to place dungeons in the game.
I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrozenEnder