Theolized Sideview Battle System (In Game Editor + Version 2 Coming Soon)

Ebanyle

açspasl~d~dfflass
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Found the incompatibility, it was because of Tsukihime Untargetable state, thanks!

As for the Basename, I tried setting it as the instructions said but it kept giving off this same error, even if the character is equipped with the weapon. There's actually a already set configuration in the script itself, but it doesn't seems to work too...

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As for the Basename, I tried setting it as the instructions said but it kept giving off this same error, even if the character is equipped with the weapon. There's actually a already set configuration in the script itself, but it doesn't seems to work too...
Here is the question. What do you want to do?

Ebanyle

açspasl~d~dfflass
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My bad! I mentioned that I didn't use the script because I didn't change anything on it at the time.
I intend to use it to change the sprites within different types of weapon, and up until now I didn't need to use it.
I set the configuration like this, but it keeps giving of the "Wrong number of arguments" error
upload_2019-4-1_23-20-14.png
It's in the same code as the basename, do I need to put it elsewhere?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My bad! I mentioned that I didn't use the script because I didn't change anything on it at the time.
I intend to use it to change the sprites within different types of weapon, and up until now I didn't need to use it.
I set the configuration like this, but it keeps giving of the "Wrong number of arguments" error
View attachment 112645
It's in the same code as the basename, do I need to put it elsewhere?
My apologies, it looks like there're two versions of it. The one that is broken, and the one that actually works (but partially translated to English). And it looks like you took the broken version. Try this instead https://github.com/theoallen/TSBS/blob/master/Addons/Basename Changer.rb

Hope that solves the problem.

Ebanyle

açspasl~d~dfflass
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Ebanyle

açspasl~d~dfflass
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was testing now and I found that the Basename Changer has an incompatibility with Animated Actor on Menu, it gives off this error:

Script 'Window_EquipItem' line 73: TypeError ocurred.
no marshal_dump is defined for class Proc

edit: sorry for the double, forgot I posted before :dizzy:

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was testing now and I found that the Basename Changer has an incompatibility with Animated Actor on Menu, it gives off this error:

Script 'Window_EquipItem' line 73: TypeError ocurred.
no marshal_dump is defined for class Proc

edit: sorry for the double, forgot I posted before :dizzy:
Fixed, please redownload the basename changer addon. Hopefully solves the issue.

IneptAttoney_08

MMORPG!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
is there a template for actor battler in this battle system? I want to make an action without a template :(

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
is there a template for actor battler in this battle system? I want to make an action without a template :(
I'm not sure what did you mean, maybe we can bring this into a PM or chat me through discord (Theo#3034) if you have one so we can talk in our "convenient" language.

IneptAttoney_08

MMORPG!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure what did you mean, maybe we can bring this into a PM or chat me through discord (Theo#3034) if you have one so we can talk in our "convenient" language.
I don't have a discord. what I mean is, to make characters that can be used as battlers in TSBS, i need the template (Polosan) characters who have poses.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't have a discord. what I mean is, to make characters that can be used as battlers in TSBS, i need the template (Polosan) characters who have poses.
So you're asking for a resource which is the template? then it has nothing to do with this. Maybe you will have a better luck asking in a dedicated request forum.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm going to bump this to make a big announcement.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The script will be upgraded to version 2, which means the internal script structure is being rewritten.
it's probably not going to change much, and it is still being rewritten.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why?
A: After several years of managing this script for my own game, someone else that is using it, creating addons, it keeps getting harder due to my poor design choice when I was writing the script. Patches are growing even in my own game. Some of those patches (and addons) should have been in the core implementation. And it peaked when I was writing my grid battle system.

Also while there is no known major lag, the design choice of the script itself has a lot of inefficiencies. And also a lot of reasons led me to finally rewrite the script.

Q: Is it compatible with version 1.4?
A: I will be blunt that it is probably a no. Backport compatibility is something that I have not yet to consider. However, when the actual version 2 is done, I may try to find a workaround to make the previous one works. Some of the addons (if you used one) probably are not necessary anymore since it is being merged for easier to manage.

Q: Will you support version 1.4?
A: Yes, the fact that I also personally using it for my own game with patches left and right, using my old version is still as valid as using version 2 when it is available.

Q: How about the in-game editor?
A: I have no plan on upgrading the in-game editor, it probably stays valid for version 1.4 as it also pains to manage two big instances of scripts that interact with each other, and I'm just one man. I personally consider the editor is just for the learning ground on how my system works. I don't even like to create an action sequence in my own editor, as I prefer to write them directly.

Removed Features from V1.4
However, the cost of rewriting the script structure is that I have to (or at least choose to) remove some of the features I feel like it is redundant and/or useless. It was a clutter that makes the already hard to read script even harder to read (yes, even I had trouble reading my own). Here is the list of what is being removed as far as I remember:

(disclaimer, I might forget some of them because they're too minor)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Timed Hit (Youtube Link)
Why?
Timed hit is not really that used frequently. It is more like clutter to the script structure itself and serves nothing.

Why did you add it?
The timed hit was added as earliest as in version 1.0 as an inspiration from a Wandering Brawler. However, I was more into challenge of how to create a similar system in my script rather than actual script design itself.

Replacement?
None, the feature will be gone for good. I may consider creating the addon for it, but it is unlikely.

2. Initial setup in the sequence (this one if you wonder)
Why?
Because it's dumb

Why did you add it?
It was due to my inexperience back when the script was still at v0.8. I thought that you have to set whether the animation needs to loop, is it flipped, or other setups, but as it was expanded further, the reason for it to exist is no longer exist.

Replacement?
None, why would I replace it.

3. Projectile system (Youtube Link)
Why?
While this one looks like an advanced projectile control, the internal script is a whole mess. It is harder to expand further at this point and it really needs a rewrite

Why did you add it?
Because projectile throwing is an important aspect of any kind of animated battle

Replacement?
I'm going to replace it with a "missile system" that you could define your own projectile movement like an action sequence. Here's one of the examples of what you can do with it.

4. Animation control (play in front or back of battler)
Why?
The way how you set up it in the action sequence looks dumb. You had to put [:anim_top] exactly before [:show_anim] for example

Why did you add it?
Because animation placement either it is behind the target or not is a serious business

Replacement?
It is not going anywhere, I just want to rebrand the command into something else. Like
Code:
[:anim, {
    :id => 0,
    :to => :self / :target / :one4all
    :priority => :top / :bottom / :equal
    :follow => false
  }]
5. Picture Handler (Youtube link)
Why?
The current command only allows you to put exactly one image. And it's ugly, code-wise

Why did you add it?
Because cutins are cool

Replacement?
I'm going to replace it with a better handler, and of course, the action command in the sequence will be different

6. Show weapon icon (Wiki link)
Why?
Weapon icons are outdated. People are using a custom sprite sheet and the fact that extra sprite handler to handle icon itself is already inefficient. Besides, set up the icon itself is troublesome and I don't even use it.

Why did you add it?
I was inspired from Tankentai and Kaduki battlers that they could show a weapon icon.

Replacement?
It is going to be a separate addon, and I need to write better control for showing weapon icon.

7. Auto proc counter on hit (Youtube link)
Why?
It's messy, code-wise, and not easy to control

Why did you add it?
Because the combo breaker counter looked cool

Replacement?
The handler is going to be different than auto proc on hit. It's still being designed.

8. Call common event in the sequence (Youtube link)
Why?
I personally never had a thought of using it for any purpose

Why did you add it?
I thought ppl would appreciate call common event during a sequence or something

Replacement?
None, but I could retain it if ppl requested it

Even though some features are being removed, there will be some new features to add, but I will post that later.

redcachalot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can't wait for the demo!
Please add youtube tutorials or a pdf manual file because this system will be too different!!!
Thank you TheoAllen, you are one of the few who can still revolutionize RGSS3!!!!

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can't wait for the demo!
Please add youtube tutorials or a pdf manual file because this system will be too different!!!
Thank you TheoAllen, you are one of the few who can still revolutionize RGSS3!!!!
Thank you very much! However, there won't be a video tutorial as I suck at editing video (although I may want to try) nor PDF. However, I'm reworking the wiki page which more or less like PDF in a sense.

As for now, I'm rewriting the documentation (still not fix but at least I make a backup). It takes time longer than I expected and I haven't made a recap on what are new features. But a friend of mine had been testing a few features of it. Here's what you can do with them.

New picture handler (for cutins)

New projectile handler

hhldegujia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
chinese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OMG v2 is so cool.
Have you ever try RGD? It will make your battle pretty smoth

Punisher699

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey Theo ! (I'm WorldDoubleFace)
8. Call common event in the sequence (Youtube link)
Why?
I personally never had a thought of using it for any purpose

Why did you add it?
I thought ppl would appreciate call common event during a sequence or something

Replacement?
None, but I could retain it if ppl requested it
Yes I request it!

I think a common event call during any actions can be really useful in many ways ! I'm using it ATM

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
^ Seconded! <3 I think there's a lot of potential we can uncover for common call features within the script. ^_^

On a side not: I'm sooo excited for Version 2.0! :D It is already looking perfect and smooth with those picture handler effects! :D ^^ Keep up the great work Theo! <3

Jaymonius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A major overhaul on the scripts, eh!? I'll take it! :D

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been slacking for like a week because of burnout. But hopefully, I'm back on my feet today. There is nothing much to show, but I'm just letting you that I'm still here maintaining this.

That said, according to Starmage's post, I might as well as include the fix for adding battle member mid-battle. There was never a case when I need to add a new party member in my game so it never crossed in my mind. And if the common event call is that important, I might as well as bring it back.
But it isn't sweet without at least a screenshot or two. Here is what you can do in the next version

In case if you don't understand, you can shift the center point of the animation by X or Y axis by using a note tag. This is useful if you want to have a long animation like a laser but you don't want to get capped at 272 x coordinate that makes the animation get cuts and looks ugly.

Jaymonius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's great! I never did find use for some of the commands on the script, but there is a couple that may affect my game with your new and improved script.

I'm curious if you do plan to add actual Counter mechanics like getting hit by specific attacks/element groups/etc. And not just evade and counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There a thread out there that tells us the best way to open an RPG that isn't 'the protag gets out of bed'?
Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.
I think I still prefer RPG Maker over Dreams. Been playing around with it, and the controls are really the biggest flaw for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrdinaryOne