Theolized Sideview Battle System (In Game Editor + Version 2 Coming Soon)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm curious if you do plan to add actual Counter mechanics like getting hit by specific attacks/element groups/etc. And not just evade and counter.
After thinking through, the attack feedback (counter) needs whole attention that it would probably be better as a separate addon with its own slot of instruction and configuration rather than built-in. But yes, it will have a different custom condition.

There're 4 different kinds of attack feedback (I plan to import my game features):
1. Reaction attack (counter after you get an attack)

2. Intercept attack (counter before you get an attack)

3. Counterattack (like it was before but you trigger/roll the counter chance manually, not automatically after getting hit)
4. Covering (like intercept attack but done by another ally, the plan is you can either give a buff to the ally or swap the attacker's target to this ally)

Jaymonius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
(I keep forgetting to check back here, haha!)

But that's great! More unique counter mechanics like pre-counter skills like Hamedo and the like will be an amazing addition! Though now I'm curious if you're gonna plan on expanding stuff like making team-up based stuff, like having two or more heroes perform an attack at the same time? Or would that be a little too complicated?

I mostly ask cause that one add-on you had with the puppet thing I figured the same could be applied if you're doing a tag-team attack.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Though now I'm curious if you're gonna plan on expanding stuff like making team-up based stuff, like having two or more heroes perform an attack at the same time? Or would that be a little too complicated?

I mostly ask cause that one add-on you had with the puppet thing I figured the same could be applied if you're doing a tag-team attack.
In the upcoming v2.0, technically, you can do a team attack by forcing a specific actor to do a certain action (like forced action). However, that is all about it. You have to specify all the conditions and manually select the actor within the action sequence through "script call". I will likely not make an easy way of doing it because it is out of the scope of the script that is basically just an "animation engine". Besides, different turn orders probably have a different condition to use a team attack. Not to mention, different people may have their own ideal on how combo attack should perform. Last but not least, the damage formula.

It is not impossible though

Darkness Void

Founder Of The Trixie Empire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is still active in 2020? Great because I'm finally attempting this thing! But, ran into a problem regarding the battlers.

You said on page 1
Free format battler sprite. You can even use unorganized spriteset as long as the format is consistent
So the problem, is this.

Testing #0.pngAs you can probably guess, this is a non-commercial project.

Any ideas on how to fix that? I've searched for a tutorial and some sort of sheet/template to give me an idea of how to layer the battler sprites but to no luck.....which is why I'm overjoyed this topic here is still active.

While I'm here let me go ahead and share my attempt of organizing his sprites.

Sonic_1.pngTheolized Battlers Template.pngThe purple lines are my way of making sure each sprite is within the same frame.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is still active in 2020? Great because I'm finally attempting this thing!
Yes, I'm still here :)
What you need to do is to set MaxRow and MaxCol in Config 1 to 4.

You may want to read these

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm looking at the second link and I have to say this looks like a lot of effort in how you place each sprite in with the battler sheets. Thankfully I have OCD so it shouldn't take long to figure it out. I just want to ask something.

With those triggers and such, where exactly do I find those at? I can't find them in the scripts.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
where exactly do I find those at? I can't find them in the scripts.
Everything is trigger except wait command (and pose command).

Think of RPG Maker eventing. You can put "add item", "change party member", "show animation" and all other commands and they run simultaneously. I consider them as a "trigger". You do not need to wait for a second or frame between them to run, except when you add a gap between them. And by the gap I mean, any commands that delay other event commands to run (Message box, wait for x frame, and any commands that have "wait for completion" checkbox). I consider these types of commands are "timings".

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Everything is trigger except wait command (and pose command).
So do I trigger all that with an event in game? You repeated what you said in that link, and my question was "where" to use the triggers, because I'm confused on how I'm supposed to turn them on and off.

Are those triggers found in Game Editor? Is that why I can't find them anywhere?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
because I'm confused on how I'm supposed to turn them on and off.
We probably just have a misunderstanding. Because I don't even mention it has on and off switches. It is just how I call the sequence command. Let me give you an example by image.

This is the full attack sequence
solattacc2.gif

Here is the breakdown of it
Screenshot_154.jpg

Here is the breakdown gif (awful, but please bear with it)
solattackexplanation.gif

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@TheoAllen

Ah there it is! Yeah we probably misunderstood each other. ^^; That screenshot of the script was actually what I was asking about.
Sorry for the trouble. I tend to ask questions when I can't figure something out and it tends to be something very simple that I overlooked.

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have 1 more question. You seem to have a lot more scripts inside your demo other than what you suggested to move over to a blank project. To save myself a headache is there a way to just restore the title screen so that loading a save or beginning a new quest are back?

I'm asking because I already tried importing the scripts under Installation and it didn't work.

EDIT - I figured it. I had to delete the Skip Intro and Splash Screen scripts. So now the title screen is restored and I can go into a random dungeon (via another script) without a crash. I kept getting error after error when attempting to install your scripts into a new project, so I just messed around with your demo linked on Page 1 until I got it to work.

Hope that was okay. ^^; Scripts are so confusing to me..

Last edited:

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry for the double post here, but regarding sprite size which do you think is better?

1582329205291.png

1582330082180.png

The later is me resizing his sprite X2. I just wanted to ask because I noticed the sprite of a sword during the attack frames.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The later is me resizing his sprite X2. I just wanted to ask because I noticed the sprite of a sword during the attack frames.
You can actually remove the icon if you don't want it to be there.
Do you know how to create and edit the attack sequence?

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can actually remove the icon if you don't want it to be there.
Do you know how to create and edit the attack sequence?
Not yet, no. But I'm looking into the scripts in your previous links.

I noticed that Sonic uses the same Specials as Eric, and I managed to give him the Specials of Freya after messing about with the
Freya Actions
script. I'm assuming those are what I must use to give him an original combat/special skills?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can create your own action. Try to put this code in a new script slot
Code:
TSBS.AnimLoop.merge!({

"CustomAction" => [
  [],
  [:move_to_target, 0,0,20,5]
  [:wait, 40],
  ],

})
Then in the skill note, write
Code:
\sequence: CustomAction
Try to use the skill, it will use a custom animation.

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
1583020665536.png

Darkness Void

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Show me the code. The error means that you write it wrong.
I want to try and figure it out on my own first. But I will ask, was I supposed to place that in a blank script slot?

EDIT - I'm getting nowhere. You asked me to show you the script?

1583106935261.png

I've messed around with the other Actions there, as well as re-reading your guide on how to set up sequences. I am not a scripter. ^^; But I do understand how you set it up, I just can't do it myself.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Line 5, you need a comma at the end of the line :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, looks like I need to build myself a quest system. Or really just a system for "Helpful voices" to talk to the player. I'm sure nothing will go wrong listening to them.... They're "helpful". :LZSwink:

Should be pretty easy with PIXI just letting me write all over the screen. :LZSexcite:
I'm starting to think I just dont like anime since the last one I enjoyed was none of them.
Hi guys, Im new here. Im using RPGMMV. In this community i would like to learn more and become better rpg developer.
The main character for the first game was originally going to become a member of the party in the third game but I'm probably changing him to an important NPC instead. That brings the third game's total ensemble roster down to nine with one optional secret character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dudoanxsmb