Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this will never happen (at least, not for anything pre-MV), but out of mere curiosity: could an RPG Maker game be ported to consoles like PS4 or Switch, in theory? MV is the most likely out of all RMs to be somewhat feasible if I were to guess, but how about even VX Ace? Or an older RM?

As I opened with: I know this will never happen and I'm not expecting console support to ever happen. I'm simply intrigued by the idea of it and wonder how insanely difficult (or maybe not as difficult as I'm thinking it is?) it would be to port an RM game to a console, to join the rest of the indie developers enjoying their creations on consoles.
I don't believe it'd be literally impossible, right? I've seen some crazy things done in the world of electronics (especially when it comes to modding). I would assume it'd be possible to at least get an RM emulator up and going on a console - in fact, it's already been done for RM2k/3 on Switch!

So, if an emulator can work on a console, then wouldn't that mean that, in theory, a RM2k/3 game 'emulation' could be sold on Nintendo's eShop / Playstation Store / Xbox Store / etc?

Very curious to read thoughts from people who know the software's inner workings more than I do. :kaojoy:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is coming out on consoles very soon, so I assume MV games can work on them. Not sure about older RPG Maker games, though.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Theoretically they can, but it's not entirely viable.

First major issue is the dev kit. It costs quite some money to buy one (for example Nintendo dev kit costs $440).

MV is the most likely out of all RMs to be somewhat feasible if I were to guess
Not entirely. The biggest issue with it is... lack of compatibility.
PS4's Javascript engine is crap. Nintendo doesn't support Javascript at all. You can make Javascript games for XBox using Windows's UWP, but that has issues on its own - you need windows 10 and you'll be using a bridge plugin between C# and Javascript, so I don't know about performance bottlenecks.
For others you'd have to remake the engine in C++, Java or something. That would require a different rendering engine for graphics as PIXI is Javascript only.

Theoretically it is possible to emulate other rpg makers on console. RM2k3 is pretty easy, since it's made in Delphi and compiled into pretty short and simple machine code, so all you need to do is essentially translate the asm instructions. But thanks to RGSS it's extremely difficult to create an emulator for subsequent RPG makers and even Android doesn't have a proper VXAce emulator that would handle custom scripts.

MV is coming out on consoles very soon, so I assume MV games can work on them. Not sure about older RPG Maker games, though.
It's published by a different company, so I don't think they'll be entirely compatible.

EDIT: It even says it in the website of RPG Maker MV for consoles. The RPG Maker MV player, the app that will be used to play RPG maker games, has this disclaimer:
"*RPG Maker MV Player cannot play games made from the PC version."
http://www.nisamerica.com/games/rpg-maker-mv/en/player/

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's made by a different company, so I don't think they'll be entirely compatible.

True, NIS America is publishing the console version of MV. I'm guessing that PS4 and Switch architecture is somewhat different than Windows (does Xbox use WIndows?) so some changes had to be made to get MV to work. I know next to nothing about this sort of stuff though. lol.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger Well, both the editor and the engine had to undergo changes. The editor due to different CPU and system architectures, the engine due to poor support of Javascript in PS4 and none in Nintendo.

And no, XBox does not use Windows. However, it is compatible with the Universal Windows platform. Microsoft is also working in making XBox games compatible with Windows 10 so in time people won't even need to buy XBox to play XBox games natively.

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Theoretically they can, but it's not entirely viable.

First major issue is the dev kit. It costs quite some money to buy one (for example Nintendo dev kit costs $440).

I assumed as much haha. But since this is a hypothetical, let's just assume I also had money to spare, and that the price wouldn't be a problem. Heck, let's say that I made a breakout game and have hundreds of thousands of dollars that I made in revenue; could I fund a mission to port my game to consoles?
What I'm saying is: given enough pay (because money is one of the best motivators :rswt), how much time and effort would it take to port an RGSS game to a console? This isn't a practical question (because I know the practical answer would be to just port your game to another engine and go from there), but is it possible to get a Ruby-based game running on something other than Windows?
I know that To the Moon, a game made in XP, is being ported to Switch. But it's being totally remade in Unity. Which is a shame because that kind of defeats the purpose of making an RPG Maker game... if you're just going to remake it from the ground up in another, far more complicated engine.

Not entirely. The biggest issue with it is... lack of compatibility.
PS4's Javascript engine is crap. Nintendo doesn't support Javascript at all. You can make Javascript games for XBox using Windows's UWP, but that has issues on its own - you need windows 10 and you'll be using a bridge plugin between C# and Javascript, so I don't know about performance bottlenecks.
For others you'd have to remake the engine in C++, Java or something. That would require a different rendering engine for graphics as PIXI is Javascript only.

Interesting. So I'm guessing for RGSS, you'd also have to remake the engine in C++? (Is that against the EULA? :kaoback:)

Theoretically it is possible to emulate other rpg makers on console. RM2k3 is pretty easy, since it's made in Delphi and compiled into pretty short and simple machine code, so all you need to do is essentially translate the asm instructions. But thanks to RGSS it's extremely difficult to create an emulator for subsequent RPG makers and even Android doesn't have a proper VXAce emulator that would handle custom scripts.
I've read in older threads that before MV came out, VX Ace for mobile was being tested but was a huge failure, for some reason. If not even the makers of VX Ace could port it to another system... then that is probably all I need to know about porting a VX Ace game to consoles :kaoblush:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Romanticist It was one of my games that Degica chose to pilot porting to Android and it was indeed a total disaster. Although I cannot prove it, my belief is that it was that experience which caused Kadokawa to change from Ruby to Javascript.

You can be as hypothetical as you like unlimited money etc.) but it simply can't be done, otherwise they would not be spending a ton of money developing a separate engine for console games.

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can be as hypothetical as you like unlimited money etc.) but it simply can't be done, otherwise they would not be spending a ton of money developing a separate engine for console games.

Who are you referring to here? Is Kadokawa developing a separate engine for consoles?

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A hundred grand could be more than enough to remake the game for consoles. How much time would it hypothetically take, I don't know. With a team of capable programmers it could be done in 6 months to 1 year. It could also take 2 years. All is circumstantial.

I can't say it's impossible though. Doom & Destiny was made in VXAce and got ported on Android and consoles with success, however, if you want to just remake one game, instead of making a Ruby compiler, which is a really difficult thing to do, it is simpler to just reprogram the entire game with all Ruby scripts in C++. And I think that was exactly what the creators of Doom & Destiny did. And the fact that they had exclusive access to VXAce source code definitely helped them.

And yup, an MV for consoles is being made by Kadokawa and will be published by NIS America. However, due to console limitations you won't be able to import custom assets and I think even sell the game, so you're stuck with a rather limited version of PC MV.

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A hundred grand could be more than enough to remake the game for consoles. How much time would it hypothetically take, I don't know. With a team of capable programmers it could be done in 6 months to 1 year. It could also take 2 years. All is circumstantial.

Yeah that's all I really wanted to know: if it was at all possible. Thanks for your input. :LZSsmile:

I can't say it's impossible though. Doom & Destiny was made in VXAce and got ported on Android and consoles with success, however, if you want to just remake one game, instead of making a Ruby compiler, which is a really difficult thing to do, it is simpler to just reprogram the entire game with all Ruby scripts in C++. And I think that was exactly what the creators of Doom & Destiny did. And the fact that they had exclusive access to VXAce source code definitely helped them.

Sorry for all the questions, but by "reprogramming Ruby scripts in C++", does that mean C++ can run RGSS scripts, or that you'd have to "translate" / remake RGSS scripts in C++ (effectively rewriting all the scripts from scratch)? I'm very inexperienced with programming so I again apologize if this is a "noobish" question.

And yup, an MV for consoles is being made by Kadokawa and will be published by NIS America. However, due to console limitations you won't be able to import custom assets and I think even sell the game, so you're stuck with a rather limited version of PC MV.

Interesting. I thought there was already an MV port to consoles? MV Trinity?

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for all the questions, but by "reprogramming Ruby scripts in C++", does that mean C++ can run RGSS scripts, or that you'd have to "translate" / remake RGSS scripts in C++ (effectively rewriting all the scripts from scratch)? I'm very inexperienced with programming so I again apologize if this is a "noobish" question.
I mean the latter. You'd have to rework all the scripts in C++.
C++ can't run RGSS scripts. Nothing can. The reason for that is, the computer understands only machine code. And Ruby scripts in VXAce are not machine code, they're stored as encrypted binary file/s.
In fact even Javascript files are nothing more than text files and you cannot execute a text file. To be able to execute that you need a program that reads the file and compiles it into machine code. In interpreted languages (Ruby, Python and Javascript are interpreted languages, since the scripts get compiled on runtime) this is handled using so-called interpreters. These interpreters however need to be written in lower level languages, because the computer needs to understand them.

For example Python interpreter is written in C. Chrome's V8 Javascript engine is written in C++. And if I remember correctly, RM VXAce's Ruby interpreter is in C++ too, although I'm not 100% sure.

Essentially anything that can be made in Ruby, Javascript or any other interpreted/high level language can be done in C, C++, Delphi or Go. The problem with it is, however, steep difficulty curve.

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean the latter. You'd have to rework all the scripts in C++.
C++ can't run RGSS scripts. Nothing can. The reason for that is, the computer understands only machine code. And Ruby scripts in VXAce are not machine code, they're stored as encrypted binary file/s.
In fact even Javascript files are nothing more than text files and you cannot execute a text file. To be able to execute that you need a program that reads the file and compiles it into machine code. In interpreted languages (Ruby, Python and Javascript are interpreted languages, since the scripts get compiled on runtime) this is handled using so-called interpreters. These interpreters however need to be written in lower level languages, because the computer needs to understand them.

For example Python interpreter is written in C. Chrome's V8 Javascript engine is written in C++. And if I remember correctly, RM VXAce's Ruby interpreter is in C++ too, although I'm not 100% sure.

Essentially anything that can be made in Ruby, Javascript or any other interpreted/high level language can be done in C, C++, Delphi or Go. The problem with it is, however, steep difficulty curve.

Awesome, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for being so clear! :kaosalute:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I miss my VXA project, so I might be rushing for RSE. Dropping a random progress report
AeroPergold wrote on LUKElcs's profile.
Its-a me, Pergold from Gamejolt!
I added footstep sounds to our content that I posted in a previous thread. I was unable to edit the post, so if you're interested, see below.

DOWNLOAD LINK

I've started working on rpg maker again, and I can see a lot of improvement from when I was 13. I still have a long way to go, but I'm proud that I've gotten this far.
Animated Title screen is by SharkerrBlue(SB)
I am using the Nightmare Land pack.
I just can't walk to the store for lunch without walking past people smoking. It not only smells bad, it's probably poisoning me. I'm afraid I'll eventually have to be hospitalized. I can't take another path because there's too much traffic and drivers in the plaza are reckless sometimes. I almost got run over once, even after looking both ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Naftris