Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think a lot of old JRPGs were real bad about this. Although I do have fond memories of Custom Robo for the gamecube that had a But Thou Must that if you hit no enough times (something like 30) with various dialogues through each Yes No you'd eventually get a nonstandard gameover and one of the characters would 4th wall yell at you for not coming along.
Thousand year door literally has a "Will you submit" before the final boss and if you say yes it gameovers.

Baller.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
never actually thought of this.
the last RPGs I played were Oblivion and Deus Ex, both with maps and fast travel.
in Oblivion, I found myself teleporting everywhere to get something done.
in Deus Ex, most of the time I completely forgot I had a map.

now that I think of it, Oblivion's vistas are HUGE, and you end up thinking "man, it's so far away, might as well teleport"
in DE, everything seems to be pretty much "around the corner", and even tho the scenarios are big, they're tightly packed, so you always have a wall in front of you.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
never actually thought of this.
the last RPGs I played were Oblivion and Deus Ex, both with maps and fast travel.
in Oblivion, I found myself teleporting everywhere to get something done.
in Deus Ex, most of the time I completely forgot I had a map.

now that I think of it, Oblivion's vistas are HUGE, and you end up thinking "man, it's so far away, might as well teleport"
in DE, everything seems to be pretty much "around the corner", and even tho the scenarios are big, they're tightly packed, so you always have a wall in front of you.
I feel like Oblivion/Skyrim are too middling to be effective at open world. Things are far away sure but they're just close enough that they make you think you can just run there so you get part way through, get annoyed, and just fast travel.

I dunno, I'd just like to have open world games where it might take me several in game days to go from town to town but where there's still interesting stuff to do between those days. Probably a pipe dream at this time to be honest.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just feel like minimaps stop players from learning the world/visual landmarks, because if you ever feel lost rather than orientating yourself as you would in real life, by figuring out landmarks and recalling what you've seen/learned about the area, you just look at the omniscient map that knows precisely where you are (and if you're really unlucky also tells you precisely where you need to be).

I get why they exist, I just hate them.

Someone above mentioned the Trials of Mana remake, and I turned off both the minimap and objective marker and (I think) had a way better time because of it. Granted, I'd completed SD3 on SNES relatively recently, so the layout of the world was already kind of in my head, but I really do believe minimaps take a lot away from player immersion in the world.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright this one might be a bit of a weird complaint...

I really hate when a game gives me a special power. Especially when it's unique or damn near unique compared to everyone else in the world.

Good examples would be Custom Robo for the DS which gave you the golden form and God Eater 2 which gave you the super special Blood Arts. These two games, amongst many others, give me their super special unique or close to unique power and then I proceed to do everything in my power to *never* ever use them.

But I'm honestly not even sure *why* I hate these when on the other hand I'll happily make use of the Voice in Skyrim and eat dragon souls with glee.

Is it how fun the unique power is? The quality of how the story presents it? The effort required in obtaining it? I have no idea!

I just know I do not care for it most of the time.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright this one might be a bit of a weird complaint...

I really hate when a game gives me a special power. Especially when it's unique or damn near unique compared to everyone else in the world.

Good examples would be Custom Robo for the DS which gave you the golden form and God Eater 2 which gave you the super special Blood Arts. These two games, amongst many others, give me their super special unique or close to unique power and then I proceed to do everything in my power to *never* ever use them.

But I'm honestly not even sure *why* I hate these when on the other hand I'll happily make use of the Voice in Skyrim and eat dragon souls with glee.

Is it how fun the unique power is? The quality of how the story presents it? The effort required in obtaining it? I have no idea!

I just know I do not care for it most of the time.
I totally know what you mean. I think it works in games like Skyrim because your character having the ability narratively pays off, whereas in Custom Robo DS it's like "he can do the golden thing", and it's just a button you press to win if fights get too hard.

FF9 is a really good example of this; there's no 'you're the chosen one', but Garnet's abilities as a summoner are completely central to the plot. If you can do something world-changing and the world doesn't change, or react to it that creates a narrative dissonance that I think wrenches the believability of the world away.

RK DracoRoy

Fire Emblem RPG Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I despise permadeath in RPGs like Fire Emblem where you have no chance to bring a character back after they fall.

Several out there got their reasons on why they like the mechanic where they're forced to play carefully and think, but not everyone goes along with this, they don't want the stress of losing their characters for the rest of the game for the choices made in a battle.

I don't find it fun at all if I keep losing characters for the choices I made and then having that difficulty get even more tedious the more I lose characters.

Cloak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I despise permadeath in RPGs like Fire Emblem where you have no chance to bring a character back after they fall.

Several out there got their reasons on why they like the mechanic where they're forced to play carefully and think, but not everyone goes along with this, they don't want the stress of losing their characters for the rest of the game for the choices made in a battle.

I don't find it fun at all if I keep losing characters for the choices I made and then having that difficulty get even more tedious the more I lose characters.
Yeah, that's why I haven't given the Fire Emblem series or other games like XCOM 2 a shot either. I feel like it would be very stressful to try and manage all of your characters, and all of that work you put into them just evaporates because of something you couldn't control or predict. However, I don't mind games like Until Dawn with that mechanic since that's more justifiable and immersive rather than annoying.

VVraith

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Constant voice lines in battle that can't be turned off or have their frequency changed.

Also, screen-covering effects that can't be toned down, or long animations that never change that can't be sped up in any way.

Unskippable cutscenes and dialogue. I'm thankful that Turbo mode is sometimes added to games which previously didn't have them when they're ported to PC and/or translated.

C64_Mat

System Masters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Add me to the minimap haters.

Here's one that doesn't crop up much any more, thankfully:

Points of no return without warning. Devs are a lot better at signposting (or outright telling you) about them now.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I should really try playing Pokemon like a "normal" person some time lol. Cuz I always just end up over-leveling my main Pokemon and breeze thru everything while keeping the rest of the party as HM slaves lol. I remember being 8 or 9 yrs old, fighting Misty w/ a lv74 Charizard lol. :guffaw:
tbh I would strongly recommend NOT playing Pokemon like a "normal" person. From my experience, it's a tedious slog where you have to constantly grind just to keep up with the level curve; and because you're at best barely keeping up with the A.I.'s levels, you'll also having to contend with the plethora of bulls**t RNG mechanics like parafuse, double-sanding, and potion/crunch-death-spirals.

If I had a second 3DS, I'd transfer the mons on my copy of Ultra Moon elsewhere and then delete that save file in a heartbeat and start over from scratch, only using a single pokemon instead of wasting my effort maintaining a team of six.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
tbh I would strongly recommend NOT playing Pokemon like a "normal" person. From my experience, it's a tedious slog where you have to constantly grind just to keep up with the level curve; and because you're at best barely keeping up with the A.I.'s levels, you'll also having to contend with the plethora of bulls**t RNG mechanics like parafuse, double-sanding, and potion/crunch-death-spirals.

If I had a second 3DS, I'd transfer the mons on my copy of Ultra Moon elsewhere and then delete that save file in a heartbeat and start over from scratch, only using a single pokemon instead of wasting my effort maintaining a team of six.
Oh hey there's a good segway into another thing in RPGs that annoy me. Turn locking status effects that have a % chance to let me function or not.
Because even if they aren't weighted against the player they sure feel like it. Although to be fair that's more an issue like what games like Xcom have. Where it doesn't matter what you hit the enemy with or how many you kill/beat. The Ai doesn't care. It has no attachments to any of its units, so it'll throw more bodies into the meat grinder until it's beaten you or you've beaten it.

So while the player feels the burn every time they get a bad status effect the ai is just happily chugging along getting ready to throw another sacrificial lamb at your face in order to weaken you more and more.

Dolorre

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Another one that really bugs me is being able to teleport to any waypoint that you've visited at least once, from anywhere on the map (without the use of a special item or skill). Looking at you, Genshin Impact.

To me, it just takes away from the experience and makes the world seem less... big. And less interesting.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another one that really bugs me is being able to teleport to any waypoint that you've visited at least once, from anywhere on the map (without the use of a special item or skill). Looking at you, Genshin Impact.

To me, it just takes away from the experience and makes the world seem less... big. And less interesting.
Yeah, I feel like the stuff people call "quality of life" improvements are regularly detriments to immersion. Sure, the game respects your time more, but if you enter a huge sprawling world and suddenly you can zip zap zorp around it and fiddle with your phone in loading screens it feels less like a world, and more like a video game.

Take FFXIV and World of Warcraft - both fantastic games, but WoW feels so much more like a huge interconnected place because of its flightpath system, zeppelins and ships than Eorzia which foregoes these movement options for convenience.

This brings me onto the next thing I was going to list that I despise:

GLAMOUR SYSTEMS

This is probably more specific to MMOs than anything else, but I hate "glamour" systems which make your gear look like other gear so so so much.

It completely sucks the peacocking element away from grinding for gear, or doing events and being able to display your prestige. Going to Limsa Lominsa in ffxiv and seeing people wearing bikinis which are secretly the endgame raiding-tier loot always strikes me as such a shame, and means that you seldom see people wearing that cool end-game loot because, well... Bikinis.

I get that people want to have their avatars look cool, or appealing to them, but in a game about community anything which stops information being exchanged between players clearly and easily is to a game's detriment, I think.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly I'm a big fan of Transmog for one very simple reason.
Most armor in games looks like hot garbage. And the stuff that does look good? It's either cashshop and thus about 30 dollars for a single outfit or it's mid game equipment and almost immediately irrelevant when I'm leveling up.

Like the Nightmare Armor set from Vindictus! It's great. It's my favorite. It's also like a level 30-40 set. I want that look for later on as well.

ShiraCheshire

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's one thing that annoys me most of all and this is something of a common thing in Suikoden games, but it does happen in other games too - getting an awesome character near the end of the game.
This! In mass effect 2, you don’t get the last character until you’re on a one way track to the ending in just a few missions. That character also happens to be my favorite…

Annoyed me so much that I resolved to make the characters in my game obtainable in any order. (Sort of, anyway. Since I will have to release it in parts with a save transfer option, anyone playing the levels as they come out will hit this issue… but some day, when it all comes together, it’ll be any order)

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As much as I disagree with the "immersion" arguments, they mainly boil down to personal preference and my preference is to have them regardless since them being in a game usually does not affect my immersion. A world with large scope is only really impressive the first time - after the dust settles, I'd much rather have a way to quickly get between areas of interest because that's where the real meat is.

That said, y'all had me until you said this:
This brings me onto the next thing I was going to list that I despise:

GLAMOUR SYSTEMS

This is probably more specific to MMOs than anything else, but I hate "glamour" systems which make your gear look like other gear so so so much.

It completely sucks the peacocking element away from grinding for gear, or doing events and being able to display your prestige. Going to Limsa Lominsa in ffxiv and seeing people wearing bikinis which are secretly the endgame raiding-tier loot always strikes me as such a shame, and means that you seldom see people wearing that cool end-game loot because, well... Bikinis.

I get that people want to have their avatars look cool, or appealing to them, but in a game about community anything which stops information being exchanged between players clearly and easily is to a game's detriment, I think.

I don't think it's weird to see this and just think "huh?" because I vehemently disagree. It's easily the most bizarre reasoning I've ever seen. It just makes no sense, like - allow people to customize their characters if they are given the ability to, especially if they invest a lot of time and actual cash money for doing so.

What benefit is there if this kind of feature is removed? You'd get everyone looking the same since all they'd be wearing is either optimal gear or something weak that's aesthetically appealing to them. And that's boring, like straight up.

Cosmetic gear in this instance would be just as good a reward as something that gives you actual stats, because it has value in a different way than just powering you up and doesn't necessarily need to be locked behind the middle or end of the game.

Last edited:

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd much rather have a way to quickly get between areas of interest because that's where the real meat is.

And I think this is the real issue here. Big Open worlds are not fun. Because there's usually nothing fun to do in those big open spaces. I don't have a concrete for sure solution for that problem but I think if you were to go about solving the issue of fast travel vs no fast travel the first step would be in making the Journey the point.

How's that saying go..."It's the Journey not the destination." ?

That's what's missing from Open World RPGs.

I mean I actually do have a good starter solution. Fleshed out companions. Not Lydia "I'm sworn to carry your burdens." But like...actually written characters that you can conversate with as you walk, that you can hear conversating with one another as you walk. But that's a lot of work to make their dialogue not seem too samey so I'm not all that shocked few if any have undertaken it.

But also like...activities. You need a reason to do stuff in the areas between your destinations. Longer days with a hunger system better paced so you're not having to click to eat every 2 minutes. But rather food time is something that becomes an event. You set up a camp sit around the fire and chat with your companions as you cook up food. Maybe one of them makes a comment about something you fought that day or how weirdly peaceful the journey was this day.

Maybe someone offhandildly mentions a little brother they used to hunt with or another companion takes off for the woods saying their mother taught them a few helpful herbs to be found in this area.

Maybe your group can interact with a nearby water source for fishing or cleaning their gear.

Just...I think the world needs more random mundane **** to do in order to make Fast Travel seem like a terrible waste. Because right now, in most games? It's like you said. The meat is all in the destination, the journey is just a boring inconvenience.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

At work.
Co: "This bug drove me insane. I tried a lot of things to debug, it just stuck".
Me: "How did you debug it?"
Co: *shows a complicated debugging method using breakpoints and everything*
Me: "What about ... " *casually prints a stack trace in the try/catch exception
Co: "Wait, you can do that??"
Totally original and unique OC
Harold.png
So after completing the Mass Effect Trilogy the first time as a Vanguard, I decided to replay the trilogy as a Soldier. Thus far, I've just finished the Horizon mission in ME2, and I'm already exhausted from ME2's f**k-awful enemy design.
If you are in these ices, I will give all the fire...
Yeah, now Yes !!!! "boom boom "
"Fire the monsters, guards!!!"

index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papay