Things That Make Me Wonder

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Rikifive, May 26, 2016.

1. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hello everybody!

This thread/post isn't a complain ~ these things make me wonder and I just wanted to discuss about them. Please, don't get me wrong.

As everybody knows, Ace has limits all over the place ~ Not sure how about MV though.

Anyway ~ I wanted to ask about few things~

1. Default Available Keys

Why? Just why there is a lack of them? What's the purpose of this? This is one of the biggest issues for me. Thankfully the community have created scripts and systems, that can involve the whole keyboard, but still, there's no controller support, which makes me sad. Couldn't the developers make a proper input system by default? Will it be ever possible to use two controllers?

2. Performance

What actually makes Ace to have poor performance? You don't have to do much, to make it run terrible... What's worse ~ these are just very pixelated RPGs... This is science for my PC. =/

There are few other things, but they're rather silly.

Now why am I asking? Because I'm stupid and I'm making non-RPG's in RPG Maker apparently. But that's on a side note ~ I'm working on one RPG and these limits affect that project as well.

I love local coop games, but RPG Maker makes it difficult for me~ its default input system is just meh.

The software isn't being improved ~ it's like it was released and abandoned- where the communities have to make stuff by themselves.

I'm not ranting/complaining ~ just asking. Why you ask?

SIMPLE ENOUGH FOR A CHILD; POWERFUL ENOUGH FOR A DEVELOPER.

First line ~ I sincerely agree.

Second line - not exactly. That's true it allows to customize and add many stuff, but still there's something missing. Limits, limits and even more limits.

I started working with RPG Maker ~ I liked it ~ I want to make some silly games/minigames with this software, not only because I'm stupid and I should make them somewhere else ~ but I want to stay here ~ I joined this herd and I don't want to leave it, but I'm clearly doing it wrong. . .

I love toying with this software, even working on silly things like this:

(Currently I'm working on platformer shooter in Ace)

[​IMG]

But I really, really just want at least the controller support. =3

You should be happy, that I'm trying to stay here despite not really belonging there. =P

~Just kidding~

I don't suspect instant changes or whatever ~  but just giving you my not very relevant opinion - I assume you would love to make the software great, right?

And don't get me wrong ~ I'm just kinda curious ~ really.

I just would like to avoid having to leave this community to search for better place ~ you know what I mean.

Thank you for understanding ~ I hope that actually wasn't that stupid from my side.

~Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
    Marsigne likes this.
  2. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Keys are indeed limited because of controller support. If you use the F1 Menu (I think it's still that in MV?) you'll notice the keys are called different letters to what they are; these match up with letters on most gamepads.

The limits in RPG Maker keep it simple and tailored. If it was as complex as Construct 2 or Multimedia Fusion, it would not be as easy to delve in to. Because there are limits, we can have default graphics created for us with ease, as they don't need to be tailored to a particular game.

Some limits are strange to me though, like number of maps, etc. There are scripts to break these limits however.

But for the most part, the fact it has some structure to it keeps it usable for hobbyists, children, newbies and casual users, but still provides some open endedness through scripting for more power users.

It is not, however, a complex meet-all game engine, and it isn't trying to be.

Marsigne and Rikifive like this.
  3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

1) I don't think there really is a valid purpose for this - they realized their error recently, though, because they made full keyboard support very easy in MV.

2) Look through the script editor and it shouldn't be too hard to understand.  Lots of logic (such as checking every page's conditions), and sometimes lots of graphical manipulation, is being done on every update, and the updates can happen every frame.  I suppose that "triggered" logic (like you'd often find in 3D games made with Unity and whatever) is much less processing-intensive, but the way Ace does it will work for most setups, so I guess they were OK with the "update" check logic.

Rikifive likes this.
  4. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Amy Pond It's nice that it supports controller ~ though I wish it could support two of them... =P

I know what you mean ~ though I'm not asking for super complex improvements and such.

@Wavelength If they only would still support Ace ~ perhaps it would got updated with nice things~

That's true, however I don't think Ace has the most complex logic ever created ~ there definitely are more complex ones, that also work much better.

But the logic aside ~ there's even no need for the default code to make Ace 'lag' ~ making a completely new scene, where there are many objects like projectiles (think of arcade shooters) will be enough to make slow-motion. I know that tons of maths can be complex, thus making it 'think' slow, but somehow, games like this exist without any issues. Ace (or the scripting language?) itself has to be a part of the source of troubles. MV seems to be handling that better ~ from what I saw, at least.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016