Thinking about changing to RPG Maker MZ, but I have a few questions...

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
First of all, I want to make a basic Pokemon clone, nothing too serious, just catching and storing monsters, 1v1 battles, and random encounter battles for now (or maybe not even that one, as I think I can do it with eventing). I had something set up in RMXP, without using Essentials, but I don't think I had the full PC system for storing monsters. I really don't want to do it with plug-ins whose licenses I don't understand, as I want full rights to the game I create. I'd rather do it mostly with eventing, if possible and work with the existing game maker rather than against it. Any ideas?

My end goal for this project is to make something like the Nexomon mobile game, as in a decent Pokemon clone with good storytelling and passable gameplay.

I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure I want to waste money on something that won't help me build the game I want. I already have plenty of game-making tools that I don't feel like I can use effectively to accomplish this goal.

Last edited:

CG-Tespy

Professional Persona Panderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If all you really want is to make a basic pokemon clone with just eventing, then upgrading to MZ won't be worth it just for that. Not nearly so, sadly.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
doing this with events is possible, but will be tedious - you'll need to create a lot of different actors and events linking them to the battles and so on.
I would consider learning enough about licensing that you understand which scripts/plugins to use and what no as that would still speed up your game.

that said, the question is upgrading from what to what?

RMXP has only one advantage compared to most current makers, and even that advantage is no longer unique: manual layering on the maps.

You might want to consider upgrading to VXAce because the database was vastly improved with VXA (and stayed effectively the same since then), but VXA has very limited mapping compared to XP.

MZ is the only maker that has both the advantages of the better database and the manual layer control of XP, but both features are not vital to the mechanics you describe.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's nothing wrong with using Plugins. Especially when you want to make some Pokemon-like game with summoning battlers, you really want to have some Plugins. Usually, the license is: you buy the Plugin from e.g., itch-io or get it for free, and add a small note into your credits page.

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
doing this with events is possible, but will be tedious - you'll need to create a lot of different actors and events linking them to the battles and so on.
I would consider learning enough about licensing that you understand which scripts/plugins to use and what no as that would still speed up your game.

that said, the question is upgrading from what to what?

RMXP has only one advantage compared to most current makers, and even that advantage is no longer unique: manual layering on the maps.

You might want to consider upgrading to VXAce because the database was vastly improved with VXA (and stayed effectively the same since then), but VXA has very limited mapping compared to XP.

MZ is the only maker that has both the advantages of the better database and the manual layer control of XP, but both features are not vital to the mechanics you describe.
Thanks, I guess I may just download the trial versions of the software and see if I like it. Really, the only advantage I see with RMMV or RMMZ over RMXP is both MV and MZ can convert files to mobile applications, making it easier to port games, in theory.

Why do the scripts that make these things vastly easier to use either cost money or cannot be used in a commercial game?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do the scripts that make these things vastly easier to use either cost money or cannot be used in a commercial game?
because programming those scripts took hundreds of hours from the programmer that did the work, and few people that work that much want others to profit from that work without getting part of that profit for themselves.
They have no problems giving away their work for free, but would you want others to earn money from work that you yourself did without getting anything for yourself?
Would you be willing to give your finished game to someone else saying "you can sell it and keep the money, I had the work making that game but I don't want the money you earn from my work?"

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As an addition: Most Plugins are not officially released by RPG Maker's company, they are made by people in their freetime to help others to make a Game. So I think you understand that they want at least some appreciation.

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
because programming those scripts took hundreds of hours from the programmer that did the work, and few people that work that much want others to profit from that work without getting part of that profit for themselves.
They have no problems giving away their work for free, but would you want others to earn money from work that you yourself did without getting anything for yourself?
Would you be willing to give your finished game to someone else saying "you can sell it and keep the money, I had the work making that game but I don't want the money you earn from my work?"

As a rule, no, but as a novice game developer who knows how hard it is to sometimes come across good scripts, if I ever made something that helped other novice developers make their games, whether they sold their end products or not, I think I would be willing to make it freely available without the limiting restrictions. After all, I don't expect too many huge gaming companies to be using something as limited as RPG-Maker. I would imagine a lot of us are hobbyists who just make games in our spare time, and anything to feel a little bit ahead of the learning curve and to take the frustration out of programming our projects is very much appreciated. I say this, though, as someone who doesn't really know how to code, and a learner can put in thousands of hours on basic projects as just part of the learning process, so maybe my frame of reference is different.

CG-Tespy

Professional Persona Panderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sure a good number of plugin developers know how you feel, KB. It's the reason why there are so many good-yet-free plugins and such available for engines like MV.

All the same, if a dev does want to monetize their plugins, they are well within their rights to.

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm sure a good number of plugin developers know how you feel, KB. It's the reason why there are so many good-yet-free plugins and such available for engines like MV.

All the same, if a dev does want to monetize their plugins, they are well within their rights to.

True, and it's not the monetization of plug-ins that I find annoying. I'm okay with paying a little to download a product if I can use it freely to create my game afterward. It's the scripts and plug-ins with these limited license agreements, such as "free for non-commercial use" that kind of bug me. I guess the intention is to teach the user how to script and make plug-ins for themselves, but I'm leery about using one of those in the game I'm making, as years from now or whenever, if ever, I have a decent game that I want to sell, I could forget about that plug-in and unintentionally offer an illegal game for sale, even though I tried to do what I could to avoid that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"free for non-commercial" is another way of saying "hey, I give my work away for free as long as you don't try to make money from it without me".
because a lot of the free for non-commercial also have a part that says "contact me to purchase commercial rights".

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
"free for non-commercial" is another way of saying "hey, I give my work away for free as long as you don't try to make money from it without me".
because a lot of the free for non-commercial also have a part that says "contact me to purchase commercial rights".

Commercial licenses like that sound pretty expensive. If it wasn't, wouldn't they just offer it for sale on a marketplace or something instead of asking to be contacted privately?

Besides, there are some out there purely for educational purposes and don't even have that part.

I wish RPG Maker had a marketplace for paid plug-ins.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Commercial licenses like that sound expensive. If it wasn't, wouldn't they just offer it for sale on a marketplace or something instead of asking to be contacted privately?
and here you are completely wrong.

The first problem is that all marketplaces take their cut of any sale (minimum 10% and up to 40% in some cases), and often require you to have a legal representation, which may cost additional money. So keeping it as a private transaction is often a sign of trying to keep the prices low.

Second problem is that quite a lot of the programmers are uncomfortable with some game genres, or due to the laws of their country even required to make sure that their work is not used in genres that are mature rated or things like that. Preventing that is easy while in private contact (just ask for what game and require a copy once finished), but difficult when selling through a shop to anonymous purchasers.

and there can be other reasons as well, like wanting to see what is produced with the offered script/plugin/artwork/music or wanting to scale the licence price according to the size of the project and so on.

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
and here you are completely wrong.

The first problem is that all marketplaces take their cut of any sale (minimum 10% and up to 40% in some cases), and often require you to have a legal representation, which may cost additional money. So keeping it as a private transaction is often a sign of trying to keep the prices low.

Second problem is that quite a lot of the programmers are uncomfortable with some game genres, or due to the laws of their country even required to make sure that their work is not used in genres that are mature rated or things like that. Preventing that is easy while in private contact (just ask for what game and require a copy once finished), but difficult when selling through a shop to anonymous purchasers.

and there can be other reasons as well, like wanting to see what is produced with the offered script/plugin/artwork/music or wanting to scale the licence price according to the size of the project and so on.

Oh? Okay, I wasn't aware of that.

In that case, do you know where I might be able to contact an RPG Maker plug-in writer to create some scripts that would make it easier to turn my game project into a Pokemon clone? The only thing I'm aware of like this is Pokemon Essentials, but there is absolutely no option to get a commercial license with that product. Besides, there's a chance that games created with it are too close to Pokemon; I want to make a clone, not an illegal rip-off.

I would absolutely buy an RPG Maker version that could create monster-catcher games out of the box, assuming it was reasonably priced on Steam.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pokemon Essentials,
pokemon essentials is an illegal package because it contains rips, any use of it will automatically cause a game found with it to be targeted by the IP holder of the pokemon games.

do you know where I might be able to contact an RPG Maker plug-in write
classifieds section of this forum for paid work, plugin requests for free requests (free requests usually only get fulfilled if they are smaller or easier to do, any large work usually requires payment)

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
pokemon essentials is an illegal package because it contains rips, any use of it will automatically cause a game found with it to be targeted by the IP holder of the pokemon games.

classifieds section of this forum for paid work, plugin requests for free requests (free requests usually only get fulfilled if they are smaller or easier to do, any large work usually requires payment)

Yeah, I'm aware that you have to be careful when making a game you're planning to sell or even just distribute widely. Right now, my idea is going to be a Pokemon clone, which according to what I understand, is okay, because things like game mechanics and genres can't be copyrighted. What is copyrightable are the graphics, music, source code, etc. of the original games. That said, though, the more I can differentiate this game from the game that inspired it, the better. I'm pretty sure whatever I want to make, though is going to have some basic Pokemon-like mechanics, like a battler collection system and 1v1 battle system.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

No one:
Steam game achievement: "Die 100 times in easy mode".
I want to learn Javascript to create a custom menu, but I don't really know where to start.
One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defigo