Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been having problems with my internet quite bad recently, about a few months ago. It has always been bad for gaming, but this year, it was the worst. All of my devices, note 3, note 10, PC, TV, tablet, anything that can connect to the internet have been getting frequent disconnections randomly. They often get disconnected at the same time, but sometimes, my PC can still work, but my phone doesn't. Or the TV can still run Youtube, but my phone or PC are disconnected. Usually when this happens, I'd have to disable and reenable my wifi to get a connection. On my phone, it usually works, but not always. My PC has a harder time with this method, though. If this doesn't work, I can only wait or manually unplug and plug in the router's power cable again.

Besides the default router, I also have a wifi extender in the room. It says 5G, but I wonder... Doesn't seem like it helps much, though. My devices are connected to the extender's connection. But no matter if I connect to the router or the extender, the connection is still bad. If the connection goes out, connecting to either one doesn't work. Worst is when I play online games, like CS or BF, connection drops very often. I get lag spikes, lag, disconnection warning, straight disconnect from servers often when I play CS. BF is even worse. Can barely finish a match without getting the "connection to EA has been lost" message. Seems like EA servers are worst than Valve servers, though, since I get booted from the game even if Youtube is still working. But who knows, maybe it kicks me out even with just a slight internet drop.

The place I live in has a lot of big trees, so I can see how the internet is this bad. Would it help to buy a new router this Black Friday? What other problems could there be, besides the router? It's about 6 years old, I think. How much should I spend on a router? I don't play that many online games, but it'd nice to not have disconnections this frequently. Still doing research on choosing a router, but if you have any helpful advice, please share. Do I need to ask the internet company, or is it just plug-and-use? That white cable at the back seems pretty sturdy, though.

This is my speed test for the extender.

Don't let the number fool you, lol. Usually it's 50, but I guess I'm the only one using the internet right now. If I connect to the router, it's 25 or so.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
trees don't matter for Wifi.
there are only two things that can interfere with Wifi-signals:
metal and other electromagnetic waves.

First question would be if the connection lost is inside your wifi network or outside it. Nothing you change will do anything if your internet provider loses connection to your main access point.

Second, if only some devices lose internet at the same time (instead of all of them) it sounds like interference by other electromagnetic waves - anything device-based (like a defect) would always have every device cut off (or only a specific defective device instead of every device).
And if it is a case of interference - have you tried switching the canal of your wifi?

That is a setting in your main access point exactly because interference is usually limited to one or two of the available half a dozen canal numbers. There are several wifi analyzer programs that can tell you how many networks are active on which frequencies, get one for your tablet and then choose the canal number where the lowest number of networks exist from your neighbors.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Andar I've always heard that trees and signals don't go together very well...?

Weird thing is that sometimes all of the devices won't connect. Sometimes, it's only my phone or PC or TV that can't connect. I can't understand why. No, I haven't tried switching the canal, or even know how to.

So getting a new router isn't going to solve my problem?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective changing the router might help or might not, because different routers have different configurations. If the new router has a different channel set as the default it could work, but that would not mean that the current router is defective.
on the other hand I'm only guessing that it is the channel setting - if it is and if your new router selects the same channel as your previous router had, then the problems will still be there even with the new router. But if the problem is something else changing the router might solve it.

as for the trees - you can get wlan through the walls of a stone building, do you really think that a few trees alone can stop the signals?
What is true is that any matter between the two antennae will reduce signal energy. So a wlan with an outdoor antennae will reach farther than one indoors, and a forest will reduce the signal more than an open field.
but the only thing that can short electromagnetic signals are metal walls or metal grids (as they are sometimes in buildings), tree don't do as much.

garorey

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
IGM
i bought xaiomi router

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My computer broke yesterday, so no RPG maker for at least a week until I can get it repaired. :(
Just wanted to share how my game won 1st place in a game jam for itch.io. Everyone else used Unreal, Unity, GMS2, Godot, etc but I used RPG Maker 2003 :guffaw: It just shows that you can create a good game and it doesn't matter which engine you use
Working on cutscenes~

if your game is the first (or ONLY) in a series and still has a colon in its title, you are a bad person and I hate you...... jk.

who could ever hate BETWEEN: TWO SOULS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheesepot