This may be a monumentally stupid question --but What do DLC and RTP stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphawiz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They say the only truly stupid question is one you don't ask.

I've done a number of google searches as well as searching the forums and can't find the answer.

What do DLC and RTP stand for?

Last edited:

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
DLC - Downloadable Content
RTP - RunTime Package

ChiefRichie

SkyBlaster Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!

DLC stands for Downloadable Content. This is referring to downloading additional content that do not come with the base game or software.

RTP means to Ready To Play. In RPG Maker, this is a reference to the default assets that come with the game. For example, the music and tile sets that are already included when starting a new RPG Maker Project are considered RTP. Unless you are referring RTP to RunTime Package, I'm not sure what that one means.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
To add a bit, we use the term RTP to describe the default resources of the makers. Even if technically the default resources of MV and MZ aren't Run Time Packages anymore, we still call them RTP.

Sakurra

Is probably eating a brownie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't even know what RTP is. What is it exactly?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RTP means to Ready To Play. In RPG Maker, this is a reference to the default assets that come with the game. For example, the music and tile sets that are already included when starting a new RPG Maker Project are considered RTP. Unless you are referring RTP to RunTime Package, I'm not sure what that one means.
You are partly right. RTP is the default assets, but it does not mean Ready To Play. It means RunTime Package, which is what the download for all the default assets were called with Makers before MV. By the time MV came out, the community had fallen into the habit of calling default assets RTP to the extent that it continued with MV (and now MZ), even though the default assets are not a separate downloadable package.

@evmaster Therefore, the RTP simply refers to the graphics and music that come with the Maker when you purchase it.

alphawiz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much, guys. I had more or less discerned the general meaning of RTP, but couldn't figure out the specifics and frankly, it was driving me BSC. LOL
(Bat S**t Crazy)

ChiefRichie

SkyBlaster Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You are partly right. RTP is the default assets, but it does not mean Ready To Play. It means RunTime Package, which is what the download for all the default assets were called with Makers before MV. By the time MV came out, the community had fallen into the habit of calling default assets RTP to the extent that it continued with MV (and now MZ), even though the default assets are not a separate downloadable package.

@evmaster Therefore, the RTP simply refers to the graphics and music that come with the Maker when you purchase it.
Interesting! I've been referring RTP as ready to play for so long. We all learn something new everyday, right?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It would help people if the thread title could be renamed as
"What do RTP and DLC stand for?"

Not just
"This is just a stupid question"

alphawiz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would help people if the thread title could be renamed as
"What do RTP and DLC stand for?"

Not just
"This is just a stupid question"
I admit it..I was going for more of an attention getting title.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
RTP - Run Time Package. Assets from RPG Maker 2000 up to Ace adopted this idea of download and install them once, use them in many games. Since they're the default for many games, you can keep them installed and RM games will ask for them on run-time. Hence the name.

It's a package of things required by the games on run-time.

The idea was, back in Rm2000 times RTP was ~20Mb, games usually were 1-2mb maybe 5 or 10 if you're a madman, so download the "big" file first, no matter if you bought the program (so you can share your game with friends more easily), then get your games less painfully.

I'd actually like for a newer incarnation having some sort of library where you add what you need (can include DLCs files) instead of every time you create a new project copying absolutely everything. Maybe that way people will have more control over what things they include? Anyway random idea.

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And since we now know...

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone else here think that closets are claustrophobic?
People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D
Holy stink, where have I been? Well, I started my temporary job this week. So less time to spend on game design... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamy7i