This website is selling RPG Maker VX Ace cheaply, is it legit?

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Until recently, I thought that the cheapest current price was £35, but I've found it for under a tenner. Excited as I am because I could afford that right now, I am also very wary of things which look too good to be true. I don't want to put my money somewhere and not get the licence key I need to activate it with steam. Also, how is the liscence key sent, by post or e-mail usually?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the standard and deluxe version? I thought that there was only one version of VX Ace. Since there is only a couple of quid between them I might as well have the deluxe one.

I'm still in my trial period and I am extremely happy with the software, and it's not as hard to learn as I thought it may have been. I really really want this deal to be for real, but I would prefer to know if it isn't so I don't waste time and money.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't buy through that site. Go through Steam. RPG Maker VX Ace is currently 80% off right now. Showing for $13 USD. Not sure what that converts to £, but I'm guessing it's cheaper.

Though... don't quote me on that. I don't know if Steam sales are global or based on region... check it out, though.

Also... this is what I do on Steam. Anything you Wish List, steam will email you and let you know when it's on sale. So, if you want to queue up any other RPG Maker software (MV, MZ)... it'll let you know when those go on sale, too. I currently have MZ on my wishlist. :)

MoonBunny

:^)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would just buy it off Steam right now. It's $14 USD (roughly 10 GBP, may vary due to regional pricing) there, and you don't run the risk of buying from a key site.
Usually though, the risk on a key site is being sent an invalid key (usually one that has already been redeemed), but the more "reputable" of the key sites will generally offer support in the case of duplicate keys. But if you simply buy it off Steam, you won't need to worry about a bad key.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't use a site like that with any of my real personal information...but if you did, and you got a fake/used key, you can always just dispute the charge on your credit card. It doesn't matter whether the site offers support.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the feedback guys, I wasn't sure if any of you had had experience with the website, but given what you've said, it might be as dodgy as it looks. Oh, and thanks for the steam link, it's £10.59 there, which I can easily pay. I didn't know I could get it that cheaply from an official source, so thanks for that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Helen1701
from what I see on that link, that is NOT a shop but a search engine for Steam resellers. It links you to the shops where the steam key is really sold. There are several such search engines - I usually check https://isthereanydeal.com/ myself.

And yes, that price is legit for a sale - which happens about three or four times a year.

The steam key cannot activate the standalone version, it only works for the steam version.
the deluxe version is simply a bundle, but I don't remember what was added to it. But since it is a steam bundle you can search it on steam

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, I installed Steam on my computer, I purchased VX Ace (thanks so much for telling me about that, I paid a lot less than I expected to), and, although I have a reciept and transaction ID, I was never sent a product code. I can open VX ace any time I want via the shortcut it put on my desktop. But... it bothers me I cannot see the cd key. I can provide a transaction ID if I ever need to because my reciept is in my transaction history on my account. Overall, I'm very happy with the product, happy with the price I paid, I'm guessing that the CD Key was automatically registered on steam without me needing to do anything manually.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it bothers me I cannot see the cd key.
for steam, those cd keys do not exist. that is the one disadvantage of buying it cheaper through steam and steam resellers: it's bound to your steam account and nowhere else.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, okay, I didn't know that. I thought I was looking in the wrong place or missed a step somewhere. I guess it doesn't really matter because as long as I can get into my e-mail account and therefore into my steam account on any computer, I will be able to access the program. As I will be only using the program on my laptop (and any future laptops is anything catastrophic happens to this one), I guess it doesn't really matter as much as I thought it might. I have now had the standard 'thank you for your purchase' e-mail, which I was archive for future reference. It only gives me the information I have access to on the past purchases page on my account anyway.

The important thing is, I was able to buy it, I can prove I did, and I am able to use it for as long as I want to.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_3 added!
index.php

ScreenShot_1_3_2022_1_32_12.png
I feel QSprite for MV is underrated. I basically am able to use my chibi sideview battlers I drew on the maps and have all the motions available. this'll help a lot with cutscenes.
I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on
Doing RPG Maker News for this week. (January 14th - 20th, 2022)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lumiki