Trilient

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I pre-ordered MV as soon as I saw it had a very nice character generator and side view battle system (which generated battlers!). I'm 24 years old, I own XP and VXA as well, never released a full game as of yet. But I'm planning to now with a small team of people. :)

Oh, I live in the US as well.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just pre-ordered MV in Steam yesterday.

I may be nearing my fourth decade of life, but i'm a child at hearth B)

I live in Mexico by the way :thumbsup-left:

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I pre-ordered! I bought Ace for around $35 Feb 2014 (but was using Lite before that), then got XP from the humble bundle later on. Male, USA.

TenebrisCrow

The Kelphy Corp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was wondering how many people have pre-ordered this software and what are their demographics? Is it more successful pre-order than the past RMs? And how many people who use this forum pre-ordered this engine and what is the percentage? It doesn't have to be accurate, just an estimation.

I mean I pre-ordered it too like a week ago because I was convinced this deal would be great for another 6-24 months and that this engine is decent at the very least. I have only bought Ace for under $20 on sale on Steam but I have never made a game with it. I only played around with it for a few hours. But with this engine I will be making a full game with it.
I think pre-ordering RPG Makers is always 100% safe, this is my opinion but...

RPG Maker 2000: I died of happiness and it made me happy through my entire teen life. 10/10

RPG Maker 2003: Was fantastic and upgraded a few aspects of RPG Maker 2000 which were needed. 10/10

RPG Maker XP: This was great, it was completely different like an overhaul, there were a few things missing that I missed, but it introduced the beauty of scripts! 10/10

RPG Maker VX: Just awesome, I died and remember how happy I was in the 2000 days! 10/10

RPG Maker VX ACE: Sort of like the transition from 2000 to 2003. Just added more cool stuff basically. 10/10

RPG Maker MV: No doubt will be perfect as usual. 10/10(probably)

SO in my opinion I think it's 100% safe you bought the pre-order! :p  

lPaladinl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm 23, Male, living in the US.

I've used almost every RPG Maker that I can think of over the years, I might be missing a few: 2000, 2003, XP, VX Ace, and pre-ordered MV. (I believe I played some RPG makers on PS2 or something as well, though I don't even remember if Enterbrain developed those)

I enjoyed all of the ones I've used so far (of the confirmed PC versions). XP was the only one that stuck out for me. It was a love-hate relationship because I didn't like a lot of the changes, some things felt too simplified for my tastes, and a lot of the new features or improvements felt like they were getting in my way more than helping. (I remember Layers and Events being totally different was one of the big things)

I've had zero complaints about VX Ace though. And I can't put into words how excited I am for MV.

I've never really completed a game with any RPG Maker. I mostly used them just for personal fun and enjoyed editing things when I was younger. More recently I've been getting more and more serious about proper game development and decided that RPG Maker was a much more affordable and easier path to take with getting started. I plan to use RPG Maker to get my ears wet with scripting, and eventually work myself up to picking up Game Maker again, or other similarly priced alternatives, grow within those programs, and hopefully one day tackle Unity when I feel more comfortable with more raw, proper programming rather than scripting.

So in short, definitely have plans to go from Hobby to Part-Time Job and hopefully even Full-Time Job using RPG Maker as my stepping stone.

I have very limited background with programming, only having picked up things here and there between RGSS, Ruby, C++, GML (Game Maker Language), and maybe a few others. I couldn't script myself out of a paper bag though. Most of my time spent using Game Maker or RPG Makers was back when I was in school, so my time and priority weren't focused on production, and more just curiosity and enjoying messing around with each one.

Last edited by a moderator:

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
dont work your way up with rpg maker.. you should just jump into unity. 

you wont gain anything from this if your end game is unity. 

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

you would, you would gain an understanding of what its like to develop a game, not programmatically, but investment wise

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You would gain that same skill while using Unity while still improving your unity skills. 

Big Papa J

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
38 year old male living on Long Island in New York and my first post! Pre-ordered MV and can't wait for it! 

Got into RPGMaker VX Ace when I stumbled upon it by accident on Steam a couple of years ago. 

Just using it as a hobby for now, love to put on some VGM and get lost in it. Great way to just relax, wind down, and have some creative fun. 

lPaladinl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

It's true that I'm doing things more backwards. Learning more raw languages before scripting would be a lot better in the long run.

But with that said, RPG Maker is $80, not $500 or $1500 for a full license. And for now I am comfortable with taking on lighter scripting and getting into producing a game faster than to take the time to pick up a more powerful language and build an entire game from scratch like I would have to in Unity. (I know that you can use Unity for Free and still profit, but I don't want to accept the limitations to doing so without a license.)

Also considering that I expect to also be doing all of the artwork and sound design on my own, it just fits better with my time and resources available.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You would gain that same skill while using Unity while still improving your unity skills. 
While yes for unity skills, sort of not. Rpg maker makes it easy for non artistic people to use assets, create maps and create games .... Unity doesnt .... 

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah its a much cheaper entry into game dev while still very awesome 

Kaus

The Sagittarius Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
I pre-ordered MV the day it's available pre-ordering. I legally own 2003, XP, VX and VXAce. And I'm really excited about this one the most. I've been in the RM Community for more than 8 years now. 

I'm 25 / M / Philippines

I'm actually surprised I'm around the age bracket as everyone else. I was thinking I'm too old for this kind of thing hahaha

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To old to be creative? That's society talking to you.

Enjoy yourself and make things!

erikmidnatt

Mercenary Wizard possessed by an Evil Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

that is very wrong on many levels.

For one Unity may not really be end game. End game is a moving target. Tomorrow something else could displace it. Even today there are countless other options.

Game design is game design. period. It doesn't matter the language or platform.

Also RPG maker makes for a super great prototyping tool.  If you really do dig your design, but want to use a different engine  later you always could. 

You might hate your idea after playing it, or game design altogether. With RPG maker you can get in fast and get started, with Unity you can spend weeks just figuring out what rendering solutions you will use...or how to get a framework to work for your turn based battles with all that stat calculation and stuff.

it is always good to have some short term successes. Success is not money. its having fun, its feeling good, its learning. Its executing an idea, whether you find it sucks or not. RPG maker allows for quick successes you can build on. this is coming from someone who has used dozens of game dev tools over the last 15 years.

DustyCat Media

Indie Game Purrfector
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
31, male, Philippines.

I've worked for the local game dev industry since September 2006, but even before that, i've been using various RPG Makers as an indie dev.

Now, I have my own team; but still work in the industry as a professor and arist+animator. I own XP (non-steam), 2003 (Steam), VX Ace (Steam), and MV (Steam). We haven't produced ANY games using either XP, 2003, or VX (we've published several games using another engine,though), but, now that MV will be out in a few days, we could probably churn out one. :)

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
I preordered it and it's the one and only thing I ever preordered in my whole life! I use rpg maker since rpg maker 2000 (the infamous Don Miguel version of course hehehe). I kinda skipped on rpg maker xp and vx to go straight from 2003 to vx ace (used xp a lil' bit but was a period I was more busy with my 20365165146 weird bands / solo projects and many other things, well whatever XD.).
I'm a french guy stranded on Indonesia for some years now and am 32.

Nomrah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
44 male from Canada. This is my first RPGMAKER. I am hoping that the claim easy enough for a child to use is true :)

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have to say... I'm absolutely SHOCKED at the average age of the community. I'm 29. And for some reason, thought I was spending time in a community with a bunch of kids. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing to even mention that this is what I do for a hobby. Now I can say with confidence that I'm part of a community that has a lot of people around my age.

I've been using RPG Maker since 2k/2k3. First game was a fan game that I never finished, and I've since skipped the other RMs until VXA. Completing a RPG was a childhood dream of mine, and I figured why not come back and try it again so I can cross it off the bucket list. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blinddeafmute