Thoughts on a Magic the gathering RPG?

UnicornsVomit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With how big their source material is and how the lore is set up (Wizards and monsters) you'd think this would be a no brainier for a fun and largely diverse RPG game, has anyone made on on RPG maker?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't think anyone has, because the company that made Magic the Gathering owns the IP for that. You have to get permission from them or they can shut down your project and even fine you.

UnicornsVomit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Understood but WOTC (Wizards of the coast) has made games in the past (gave rights to at least) most of them card games on being a very odd RTS like game, i just don't see why a company wouldn't approach and be like hey lets team up and make some magic happen lol.

roiaa

Freelance artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
I agree, most of the card games are very old.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it would be a better idea to simply use mechanics from the card game and apply them to an rpg.
Ive been trying to come up with a MTG style battle system for quite some time now.

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think as long as your game wasn't too big and too ambitious, you'd be fine. Just don't step on their toes by recreating the actual card game. Wizards is like SEGA, they're extremely pro-community. There's even a few programs to play the game in an unofficial capacity with semi-automated rules, and Wizards lets it slide.

At least someone out there has convinced them to make a game beyond just the card game though -- I believe Cryptic Studios (creators of Champions Online and Star Trek Online) have secured the rights to develop a MtG MMO.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I more so meant have characters with low damage and health, and similar skills to the card game.. but in rpg form lol
I dont know it could be interesting, having enchantments and skills you could use "instantaneously" lol

Orb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
An rpg game with MTG's lore would be sick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.
is there a script call that return how much turn has passed in battle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aboyhazard