gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This comes from my family as well, so it's basically an order in their point of view because of this.
whose point of view, again?
if it's a client you submitted your work to, as per their request, they have the right to judge your skills by their rules.
that doesn't make you less qualified, or them more certified at gauging that, but they were the ones initiating the trade by opening the job, and you offering yourself to it.
so.... their call.
and, your fault for not asking what was expected of you up front.

if it's a customer that came to buy or use one of your products designed by you, by your standards, and it works at what it's supposed to do, but doesn't fit their specifications, then they have no say in that.... it's *your* code, you made it standard, not to specification.

Darth Equus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
You prove yourself by... well, doing. Wallowing in shame that you're "unqualified" won't help. Make your game the best it can and don't sweat the bad vibes. It really, really sucks that the complaints are coming from your family, but the only thing you can do is soldier on.
This, so much. You should have seen my first maps, my first dialog, my first cutscenes, my first animations. They were rudimentary, to say the least. Heck, you should have seen how bitter my first attempt at making Cashew Chicken came out. Be grateful you didn't have to taste it.

But that's how you get your "AH-HA!" moments, your "what if I try this instead". Cheesy as it may sound, let me quote Disney's Meet The Robinsons: "From failure you learn. From success, not so much." I only got better by keeping at it.

So, carry on my wayward son. :cool:

Roden124

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You do what makes you happy!
Be the crab that makes it out of the bucket.

Talent is what matters, qualification is stupid.
If you're "unqualified" and can get the job done, congratulations,
you're effectively qualified by reasonable standards!
A purpledurkle by any other name smells just as sweet.

If you went to college but have little to show for it because you spent the whole time studying,
then no cake for you, because you literally got nothin' over the passion project!
Game Design degrees in particular don't catch a lot of respect, so don't frame that diploma just yet.

Your family's heart is in the right place, but they simply live in another world.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everyone is unqualified until they aren't. You don't get "qualified" to do something by not doing it.

NocaToca

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game Design, I feel, is a lot like writing in tons of aspects and, just like writing, you dont need to have a degree or go get a good education to do it well. However, I wouldnt say going to college for game design is useless, but that's besides my point.

Being "unqualified" is not something I think you could even be in this field. It's more that you're either new or experienced. The more you make games, just like the more you make stories, the better and better they'll come out (Granted you actually are looking at how to improve). However, I wouldn't expect to become a great and well known developer just because you made over 200 games, it just means you were better than you were when you made your first one.

Though dont be discouraged by anyone else, going into what you want to do is so much better than going into something others want you to do, even if it's a billion times easier. You'll do best and be happiest where you have passion, not where you get the most approval

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When I went to college decades ago there weren't classes in game development. It was mainly IT and Comp Sci nerds wanting to play D&D somewhere and they came up with ways to do it.

the Degrees I ended up having under my belt were music theory, business management, english literature, database management, Information technology, systems managment, internet security , computer science, and architecture design.

How did any of that translate to games programming? I started out as a secretary and hoped if I got into a dev team I could be placed somewhere, but that never happened. I couldn't get my foot in the foot in the door beyond secretarial and while I played games at home to unwind, i got mad a game I enjoyed that had a whack ending and I wanted to rewrite it XD so that's how I started. And since I had skills in a lot of other areas I did it myself.

I stayed at my day job to gain capital and used free/open source software until I could afford the nice ones I wanted.
I kept programming and would take small jobs to build my portfolio.

Some years of hard work I finally got my foot in the door with some companies. But I still get called unqualified by folks because I'm not making gobs of money and living in the nice part of town. (I mainly blow it on computer/software upgrades lol)

You'll make it as long as you're still passionate. Its your life no theirs.

You dont necessarily need high end bells and whistles and fancy plugins to make certain effects. I had an art background so I was able to hack it with low tier software that worked just as well. Do what you can to see your dreams happen!

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Late to this, but just to say that you can do that effect you want, plus virtually anything else you want, in GIMP which us free. Cancel that subscription and save money and hassle.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Today I have a final update on this subject. I have now officially hit the end of my billing for the Adobe package, but of course it's not going to be that easy to walk away. I can attest off your encouragement that I have kept the project going even in spite of the matter and have also managed to come through on why the Adobe bill was there in the first place, however I just got hit with a final insult on the matter. As luck would have it, my billing information crapped the bed on me and had to be updated, effectively preventing me from canceling services as originally scheduled. As I planned from the start of this matter to end service on the day before it was due in order to finish what I could, this is obviously going to be so far behind schedule that I basically had to call the parties involved to explain what happened and why there may be another month of this. Either way, thanks again for all the support in relation to this matter.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made an RPG Discord bot and it FINALLY got accepted on top.gg and is already trending!! <3
1st of March 2014 I joined and it has been a great experience for 6 whole years. The only thing I can say is a huge thank you to ALL members of this forum.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!!!
Now irinea just blocked me in discord
Just finished making a character selector at the beginning of the game that allows the player to pick gender and skin tone. I couldn't be more pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerKruste